Terminator 4: Potential Hit or Definite Flop?

Tools    

This is Bat Country!
The terminator sequels being two of my favourite films of all time, I naturally have concerns about this, especially after the disgrace that was Terminator 3 ( Sorry Mostow...)

McG directing makes me want to scream but hey I shouldnt shoot a book by its cover... James Cameron's involvement would of assured me somehow, Christian Bale playing John Connor is a perk, he'll be great.

Welcome to the human race...
There's no telling. The lack of Schwarzenegger may kill it. His presence makes up a fair chunk of what makes Terminator great.

The real question is whether the humans' plot works. To me, that's what made the Terminator movies a notch above the average dumb action movie, a real sense of humanity. They kind of ballsed it up in Rise of the Machines with a weak attempt at a love story for John Connor, but if that fails, combined with a lack of Arnold, the movie will fail and be just another apocalyptic future movie.

This is Bat Country!
Thats true, and youre right about the sense of humanity, as much of a bastard Cameron is, he wrote a damn good script, fingers crossed that all that input is kept in it.

The rumours of Josh Brolin being the new Terminator is quite exciting though...

I don't care. Honestly anything that came out after Terminator 2 I refuse to see and blot from the record. Those first two films where great and to have a set storyline with almost no loopholes be tampered with for a blockbuster film is just a disgrace in cinema.

Also, am I the only one that prefers the original to T:2? For some reason the suspense of Arnold as a killer grabs me so much more than Arnold the epic action hero. I'm not taking anything away from the second one, But the first one has this driving terror behind it that the second can't top(T-100 is a scary villain, But Arnold plays the creepy killer so much better.).

I'll agree about the original being the best. If anything, as I watch T2 again and again I find it to be significantly weaker than the first. Maybe because...

WARNING: "T2" spoilers below
...of the whole "destroying Cyberdyne" and destroying the Terminator in order to prevent the existence of Skynet in the future. I know I'm being really picky about the time-travel logistics of the movies but it seems a shame because the time-travel of the first movie was written really well, and the second's handling of the subject was pretty poor. As I think about it, this actually made Terminator 3 necessary to show that Judgment Day would've happened anyway, if only to make sure that the events of the first movie happened and thus started the whole cycle.

well one is for sure the story might suck but the movie will be visually stunning plus they've got the big bucks from Warner.

I pretty much agree with you Iro, sure its always going to be dicey analyzing time travel movies but you're right I think. The first was simpler and really I think that's what made it work better than the second. I'm not going to use spoiler tags for movies 24 and 17 years old so sue me if you haven't seen it yet. And I also think your point is valid about the making of the third film. And really they could have had several different stories for a third installment and I'm sure a lot of folks still would have said it stunk. I on the other hand like action movies, I grew up watching them and I say it was a pretty good one. If you don't believe me go back and watch any number of flicks from the 80's. A lot of them, while I hold them near and dear to my heart really aren't very good. I guess in the end it just depends what you believe in. I personally believe that the moment the first Terminator arrived it set in motion the inevitability of Judgement Day and it was only a matter of time.

This is Bat Country!
I think the original is just as good as Judgement Day, and was amazing for 1984, yeh yeh I know theres loads of continuity errors in the first film, a notable one being Arnie's sudden change of haircut after the Tech Noir incident, T3 showing that Judgement Day is inevitable could of been portrayed through different means, there was no need to make T3...I cant believe how disappointed I was.

Well fingers crossed for T4...You never know at the end of the day *shrugs*

If they do the entire movie in the crazy future world that we saw just glimpses of previously it would be incredible. We don't need Arnold as they had a different Terminator in the first one in one of the flash backs. If done properly it should be very good.

The rumours of Josh Brolin being the new Terminator is quite exciting though...
i'd be find with Brolin being the new Terminator. i can't stand the people that say John Cena (or any wrestler) or Vin Diesel would be good for being a Terminator. I think they should go with their first thought....OJ SIMPSON!

Stuck in the middle with you.
Oh god, another Terminator flick? To be truthful I was never a big fan of those movies to begin with and without Arnold I think it's a lost cause.

I think the original is just as good as Judgement Day, and was amazing for 1984, yeh yeh I know theres loads of continuity errors in the first film, a notable one being Arnie's sudden change of haircut after the Tech Noir incident, T3 showing that Judgement Day is inevitable could of been portrayed through different means, there was no need to make T3...I cant believe how disappointed I was.

Well fingers crossed for T4...You never know at the end of the day *shrugs*
Actually, Arnold's hair changing in T1 is not a continuity error. It starts off long and wavy, then during the chase after the Tech Noir shootout Reese blows up a car and the Terminator jumps through the resulting explosion, burning his hair down to short spikes.

Sorry to nitpick.

This is Bat Country!
Hahaha but its way too stylised! Its like theres a special Terminator Barber Arnie quickly nipped into for a quick snip...fun times

You know Iroquois, I have to side with the droo here. It was the 80s I recall, and stuff liked this happend in movies back then, it's over stylised. Just imagine a crazy looking Terminator with blotchy hair sticking out and half bald bits everywhere....oooo very tough. Although, I'm sure you will tell us if you went through a fire your hair would look perfect in its shape and form wouldn't it?..... well not through any fire I have ever seen anyway!

So sorry to nit pick your nit pick but there I just did.

But back on topic, lets hope the movie is good or will we see the return of dodgy Charlie's Angels fight sequence and bad wire work?

This is Bat Country!
Im sure cameron has even stated in a review somewhere that the hair difference was an error he regrets.

This is Bat Country!
i'd be find with Brolin being the new Terminator. i can't stand the people that say John Cena (or any wrestler) or Vin Diesel would be good for being a Terminator. I think they should go with their first thought....OJ SIMPSON!

vin diesel as a terminator? I think im going to be sick....

I'm not saying the hair had to be realistically burnt, but as long as fire damage managed to change it, what do I care exactly how it does it? Besides, in the script I think the Terminator wore a hat afterwards. So eh.

Um maybe after he took his eye out he cut his hair and they just edited it out. Think about it.

Losing an eye = exciting
Triming your hair = boring

I would edit it out as well... Unless they got John Travolta in drag to cut it for him now that would be a good scene...

Stuck in the middle with you.
who's gonna be the new Terminator? i think they need to do something fresh for the movie to catch on ya' know? Everyone has been about that bitch mother and john.