Best James Bond?

Tools    

love peace and chicken grease
i would pick sean connery i do not like the others very much. pierce brosman is ok but im not to excited about the new one.

Connery. Sean Connery.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You'll all hate me but Roger Moore by far with Dalton a close second. Moore brought humor to the franchise, Dalton brought a suave class that Flemming infused into the books. No disrespect to Connery but the brogue? comon....
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

Connery

Was there really any doubt?

I always figured the brogue was perfect. Bond's character is supposed to be a study in contrasts. He is exquisitely refined, yet essentially a rogue. He is a 'hero,' but he's also an amoral sociopath. He's a lover of women who is deeply contemptuous of women. The brogue adds just the right touch of incongruity.

Originally Posted by Officer 663
Connery

Was there really any doubt?

I always figured the brogue was perfect. Bond's character is supposed to be a study in contrasts. He is exquisitely refined, yet essentially a rogue. He is a 'hero,' but he's also an amoral sociopath. He's a lover of women who is deeply contemptuous of women. The brogue adds just the right touch of incongruity.
I can see that. But, for me, the best bonds have been the ones who do everything with a sense of irony and a self-awareness of not only the contradictions you mentioned but the absurdity of the whole spy game. They know they live in a constant state of schizophrenia, they have to be many different things to many different paople. The scoiopathic aspect follows nicely with that...

Originally Posted by Othelo
I can see that. But, for me, the best bonds have been the ones who do everything with a sense of irony and a self-awareness of not only the contradictions you mentioned but the absurdity of the whole spy game.
This is what I always hated about the later Bond flicks. They play the 'so bad it's good/wink wink, nod nod' card way too often, but at the same time, we're supposed to take them at face value as action films. It's a total copout.

That's what made the first Austin Powers movie so appealing - it had the courage just to be a joke and didn't try to play it straight for laughs. The Bond franchise wants you to believe that its films are some sort of ironic postmodern action oeuvre, but it's just a clever marketing gimmick (as has become increasingly clear as Bond has become the chief agent of Her Majesty's Product Placement Service).

Originally Posted by Officer 663
This is what I always hated about the later Bond flicks. They play the 'so bad it's good/wink wink, nod nod' card way too often, but at the same time, we're supposed to take them at face value as action films. It's a total copout.

That's what made the first Austin Powers movie so appealing - it had the courage just to be a joke and didn't try to play it straight for laughs. The Bond franchise wants you to believe that its films are some sort of ironic postmodern action oeuvre, but it's just a clever marketing gimmick (as has become increasingly clear as Bond has become the chief agent of Her Majesty's Product Placement Service).
What I highlighted is probably the best quote I have heard all week, thank you!

Kill me if you must, but I think the two finest performances by an actor playing James Bond were:

1. Timothy Dalton in "License to Kill"

2. Pierce Brosnan in "Goldeneye"

That said I think Connery brought a rugged, toughness to the role that's difficult to match.

Every breath you take, watching you
George Lazenby!!!!!! Ok, maybe not...

Although Connery is the classic (& did you know also Scotland's entry for Mr. Universe 1950, apparently), I'll go for Roger Moore. For me he was so quintessentially English & had the wardrobe & dapper look just right. Plus he was the best smirker. Nobody smirked like Moore.

it has always been Sean C!!

Kelly of the Grace Variety
Mister Sean Connery - of course...

Don't know about this Daniel Craig character....

Originally Posted by Caylin_Calandria
Mister Sean Connery - of course...

Don't know about this Daniel Craig character....
I watched Daniel Craig for the first time in Layer Cake recently. He was excellent in that and I think he can easily pull off this roll too. I wish him the best of luck anyways.

Connery or Bronsnon (sp?)

For me the best - Sean Connery, the worsest - Daniel Craig

Nothing but the original, although, this last one was pretty hard core!