The Good, The Bad, and the Artsy - False Writer's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Yeah, you've completely lost me here. I don't do Disney, I don't know the second film and the less said about the third the better.
If you're a fan of both Taxi Driver and Seven then I recommend Affliction, although it's not nearly as violent as either, it has the vibe of the former and the mystery of the latter.

Why didn't you like The Searchers?

I've only see The Searchers once, last year, so I don't remember specifics, but I was disappointed. I remember thinking it was silly at times, completely souring the mood I was looking for.

I've only see The Searchers once, last year, so I don't remember specifics, but I was disappointed. I remember thinking it was silly at times, completely souring the mood I was looking for.
Hmm. Do you remember what parts made you think it was silly? It's weird because silliness was the last thing on my mind when I watched it.

I have to return some videotapes.
If you're a fan of both Taxi Driver and Seven then I recommend Affliction, although it's not nearly as violent as either, it has the vibe of the former and the mystery of the latter.

Why didn't you like The Searchers?
I'll try watching Affliction, too. Seems interesting and I loved both movies.

I'll try watching Affliction, too. Seems interesting and I loved both movies.
Hope you like it!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hmm. Do you remember what parts made you think it was silly? It's weird because silliness was the last thing on my mind when I watched it.
Probably talking about some of the comedy relief involving Jeffrey Hunter and Ken Curtis and also Ward Bond and Patrick Wayne.

Yea Mark's right; I didn't like the mix of comedy, and I think I remember a musical interlude that didn't work for me. I certainly liked parts of the movie, but I wasn't a good mix for me.

Alright all, I kinda want to get this done so I'm gonna reveal the remaining 9 picks right now. Here we go!

117. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

An exciting and epic Sci-Fi adventure with one of the most famous endings in film history.

118. We Were Soldiers (2002)

An emotional account of the first major battle the US faced in the Vietnam War told from both sides.

119. Tangled (2010)

A very fun animated film that marked the beginning of the Disney Resurgence. I was surprised how much I laughed during this, Flynn Rider and Maximillion the horse are hilarious.

120. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Not one of Kubrick's most famous, but one I really enjoyed. An interesting film with a great, dark, and odd atmosphere. The chain of events that unfolded really surprised me.

121. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (1966)

Finally the film that I ripped the name off of appears on the list! A spaghetti western masterpiece with amazing everything—music, acting, action etc.

122. Leon: The Professional (1994)

A very fun action movie with some intense shootouts and great characters.

123. The Shining (1980)

A horror masterpiece. One of the most popular films of both Jack Nicholson and Stanley Kubrick. Many iconic horror scenes and lines are found in this great film.

124. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (1999)

One that I watched so many times when I was a kid, and it was hilarious every time. All the things that made the TV show so good plus many theatrical elements made this one of the best TV show-to-movie adaption.

And the last film in the countdown is...

125. Jacob's Ladder (1990)

A very chilling psychological horror film that I have much respect for, particularly because it was one of the main inspiration for the Silent Hill franchise. Some of the scenes in this film I think are legendary like the subway and the mental hospital.

Ironically, MovieMeditation just revealed this one in his horror list just hours ago. So he got me beat.

Empire and Leon are both on my 100. Tangled I made it about 40 minutes into before giving up and going and watching a proper film (also known as Ed Wood's Night Of The Ghouls ), Jacob's Ladder I remember liking quite a bit, but have only seen the once soon after it was released. The South Park film is great. I love that thing. The others? Well, either I don't want to see them or wish I hadn't.

The pic for Tangled says it's hotlinked, btw.

Master of My Domain
Awesome sets of movies FR.

Empire, Leon, TGTBTU, and The Shining are in my100, and this is a fact you should care more about instead of what's in HK's 100.

I also really like the South Park movie. Had me laughing from start to finish, great songs too.

Thanks Gatsby and Honeykid, glad you both liked most of the remaining picks!

I'll get the Tangled pic changed also.

I agree that The Shining, Empire Strikes Back, Eyes Wide Shut, and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly are all great.

I really like We Were Soldiers, South Park, and Leon, although I've never gotten the immense love for the latter.

I thought Jacob's Ladder was ok and I haven't seen Tangled.

Good job buddy!

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Shining is my all-time favorite horror film, Jacobs Ladder is very underrated, and I really enjoy the South Park film. Great set.

I agree that The Shining, Empire Strikes Back, Eyes Wide Shut, and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly are all great.

I really like We Were Soldiers, South Park, and Leon, although I've never gotten the immense love for the latter.

I thought Jacob's Ladder was ok and I haven't seen Tangled.

Good job buddy!
Thanks Cricket! I appreciate you and everyone else for sticking with my list. It was quite the journey, now I have to figure out what to do next lol.

False Epilogue: A Look Back At The Good, The Bad, and the Artsy

It's been almost 5 months since I unveiled my top 100 movies to the MoFo world. A lot can change in 5 months, since then, I have seen dozens of films—from unseen classics to just-released blockbusters, across all genres, many of them I enjoyed very much. Were they ones I would've included in my top 100? Well, maybe not most of them, but for a few of them: yes.

Looking back over my list, I realized just how flexible 100-50 can be. There are quite a few that I still feel very strongly about and would still keep them, even if they aren't in the same position. There are also some that I feel a little iffy about looking back on it now. I won't lie, if I decided to redo countdown right now, the first half would probably look very different. However, I also realize that at the time, that was how I felt about those movies, so I'm not saying I "regret" my list in any way, just that there have been some movies I've watched between then and now that I would've definitely included over some of the ones that are on there.

For example, my number 100 and 99, The Punisher and Wall Street, those 2 I still like very much, but I would more than likely not include them on my next edition. With starting off a favorites countdown I wanted to include a couple that would not normally be on other lists and be a surprise to readers. Ever since this list though, I have seen films that I would put before them. Escape From New York is a classic that I finally got to watch recently, and it admittedly is an all-around better movie than The Punisher. So it would more than likely replace it on my next countdown (and something may possibly replace Escape From New York before my next list even starts!)

1-50 though, is still pretty concrete. They're the movies that I've enjoyed and admired for a long time, or ones that I recently watched that had a resounding impact on me. If I would have to guess, my next list would probably have at least 40 of the 50 that were from this one—though their order might be a bit different.

As of now, my top 10 still stands. I still love those movies. The only one that has a small chance of being in jeopardy, is Silent Hill. I still like that one immensely, but as time has gone by I seem to feel more and more odd having a below-average film in my top 10. Sometimes I feel the urge to replace it with a more acclaimed film (like Goodfellas) so my top 10 would look a bit more "flashy" and be taken more seriously. Most of the time though I dismiss that thought, because if I do that then I'm not being honest to myself. If that ever did happen though, Silent Hill will always be locked into the number 11 spot.

So the plan is to wait til at least March 2016 before I unveil my 2nd 100 favorites list. There's still so many movies left to watch, and there's also the thought of making it interesting and not just most of the same movies repeated. I'm positive though that there will be a good number of new entries added and even the same ones will probably be in different positions. When that times comes, I hope you all will give my 2nd list a shot!