The Wire

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm nearing the end of season 4, and I've decided that I do like it a lot more than I expected to. I appreciate getting the deep glimpses into how these younger kids end up slinging on the corners in the first place. Some of the familial scenes are heartbreaking.

I'm nearing the end of season 4, and I've decided that I do like it a lot more than I expected to. I appreciate getting the deep glimpses into how these younger kids end up slinging on the corners in the first place. Some of the familial scenes are heartbreaking.
Yes, they are & it will get sadder as you progress. One thing that impressed me so much was that I sometimes suspended my disbelief & forgot that these people were actors. One in particular who sadly dies in the series so I won’t say who.

Yes, they are & it will get sadder as you progress. One thing that impressed me so much was that I sometimes suspended my disbelief & forgot that these people were actors. One in particular who sadly dies in the series so I won’t say who.
Ugh, YES! Precisely my own feelings as I near the end of season 4. You just know some of these kids would wind up dead if this were real life. I already dread seeing probably at least one of these young kids dying in these last two episodes of season 4. We've avoided losing any of the main kid characters this season so far, but that's not gonna last, I'm sure.

You put it well: it's been tough at spots to suspend the disbelief, partly because you just KNOW there are kids in the world whose real lives are too much like this. It's horrifying.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
so uh.... back to Raised by Wolves it is! DD and I are so glad to have company!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Duplicate Account (locked)
Ugh, YES! Precisely my own feelings as I near the end of season 4. You just know some of these kids would wind up dead if this were real life. I already dread seeing probably at least one of these young kids dying in these last two episodes of season 4. We've avoided losing any of the main kid characters this season so far, but that's not gonna last, I'm sure.

You put it well: it's been tough at spots to suspend the disbelief, partly because you just KNOW there are kids in the world whose real lives are too much like this. It's horrifying.

it is a very dark/gloomy show at times, and the characters in the wire are all very tough and smooth speaking. Enjoy the remainder of season 4 and 5.

So sad to lose Bodie like that at the end of season 4 and to see Randy end up in a group home. Again, the ugliness and brokenness of their lives can feel a bit suffocating if you're bingeing the series episodes too many at a time.

Started season 5 last night, and so far the politics are annoying the crap outta me. And I'm sad to see McNulty falling off the wagon, although I do understand that his story was conveniently boring throughout season 4--without much believable reason to think it would stay that way. Felt forced, although I admit I liked seeing him stable and happy, even if only for such a short time.

So sad to lose Bodie like that at the end of season 4 and to see Randy end up in a group home. Again, the ugliness and brokenness of their lives can feel a bit suffocating if you're bingeing the series episodes too many at a time.

Bodie was the one I was thinking of. Loved when McNulty took him for a drive & he didn’t believe they were still in B’more. Loved his speech about never being short in the take, never stole anything, etc. Powerful actor.

It’s interesting how you’ve gotten to enjoy the series.

It’s interesting how you’ve gotten to enjoy the series.
I know, right? Last night I had to quit in the middle of an episode. It was late. I was alone in the house. And I just got this suffocating sense of the brokenness this show has portrayed constantly. I'd watched several episodes earlier in the day/evening, and it just felt like too much to bear.

Today I'll probably make room for two more episodes as I plod on toward the series finale.

I know, right? Last night I had to quit in the middle of an episode. It was late. I was alone in the house. And I just got this suffocating sense of the brokenness this show has portrayed constantly. I'd watched several episodes earlier in the day/evening, and it just felt like too much to bear.

Today I'll probably make room for two more episodes as I plod on toward the series finale.
There has been a lot of dark humor too, which I loved. Loved the female character Snoop. I laughed so hard when she went to buy a nail gun & terrified the sales clerk.

There has been a lot of dark humor too, which I loved. Loved the female character Snoop. I laughed so hard when she went to buy a nail gun & terrified the sales clerk.
YES, that was hysterical! He's clearly talking to her like she's some middle-aged white guy about to start a DIY home remodeling project, and she's clearly following the technical stuff... and then she responds in her typical fashion... The look on his face was priceless.

YES, that was hysterical! He's clearly talking to her like she's some middle-aged white guy about to start a DIY home remodeling project, and she's clearly following the technical stuff... and then she responds in her typical fashion... The look on his face was priceless.
And how telling when she gave him a truckload of money for the thing & said she didn’t need a receipt.

Has there ever been a show that made you root & like so much the very baddest of criminals? (Stringer Bell was my fave.)

And how telling when she gave him a truckload of money for the thing & said she didn’t need a receipt.

Has there ever been a show that made you root & like so much the very baddest of criminals? (Stringer Bell was my fave.)
Stringer Bell was my favorite too. Felt like he was trying to raise himself out of the muck and mire before it all fell apart.

I'm surprised that Snoop walked out of that store without that drill having been rung up. Didn't some sort of sensor go off? (Thinking too realistically, I know. That wouldn't have worked for the scene ending, but it sure would have been funny.)

Oh, just to be clear, I find Snoop really fascinating as a character, despite the fact that we have virtually no backstory on her.

But I'm not rooting for her. Sorry, just can't go that far. Rooting for Cutty and Bubs, though!

Well, that's a wrap! I'm done! I got all the way through. Decent series finale, although I didn't realize it was longer than a typical episode, so I watched only half late last night and just finished it up about an hour ago.

The moment in the ending montage that made me cry?

Had to be:

WARNING: "Slight spoilers, series finale" spoilers below
Bubs coming upstairs and sitting at the dinner table with his sister and her kid.

I also appreciated seeing Marlo walking around in a suit and tie, with the hoppers not recognizing him or knowing his name... while they were busy telling the legends of Omar's demise (which continued to ramp up each time someone told it).

He'd done such a good job keeping his name outta the streets that nobody on the corners knew who he was by the time he got out.

One small quibble I have, though:

WARNING: "More slight spoilers" spoilers below
WHAT was with Herc working for Levy? And not just naively working for Levy as muscle, but aware of the goings-on and even ratting out people he used to work with? I know Herc was always presented as kinda rash and stupid, but that just felt slightly unbelievable, especially since he apparently stayed friends with his old buddies. Did I miss something?

One small quibble I have, though:

WARNING: "More slight spoilers" spoilers below
WHAT was with Herc working for Levy? And not just naively working for Levy as muscle, but aware of the goings-on and even ratting out people he used to work with? I know Herc was always presented as kinda rash and stupid, but that just felt slightly unbelievable, especially since he apparently stayed friends with his old buddies. Did I miss something?

That was rather inconsistent with herc's cop morality, I think he was just taking whatever job he could get but in a somewhat dignified position.

I'm glad you liked it this time around, and snoop apparently was a hoodlum/drug-dealer in real life but probably not a cold blooded hit girl.

That was rather inconsistent with herc's cop morality, I think he was just taking whatever job he could get but in a somewhat dignified position.

I'm glad you liked it this time around, and snoop apparently was a hoodlum/drug-dealer in real life but probably not a cold blooded hit girl.
Working for Levy was bad enough. But when he started divulging information about the investigationg back to Levy, that's when it became untenable for me. Mostly because I hadn't gotten the vibe that Herc left the force wanting any sort of vengeance. And yet some of his actions felt like vengeful.

I'm surprised that Snoop walked out of that store without that drill having been rung up. Didn't some sort of sensor go off? (Thinking too realistically, I know. That wouldn't have worked for the scene ending, but it sure would have been funny.)
The sales clerk may have somehow removed the sensor thing so it wouldn’t go off. The amount of money he got to keep would make him do this.

But I'm not rooting for her. Sorry, just can't go that far. Rooting for Cutty and Bubs, though!
Which one was Cutty? It’s been a while.

Working for Levy was bad enough. But when he started divulging information about the investigationg back to Levy, that's when it became untenable for me. Mostly because I hadn't gotten the vibe that Herc left the force wanting any sort of vengeance. And yet some of his actions felt like vengeful.
Levy was a huge slime & Herc willingly allowed himself to be sucked into the slime too. Levy was his boss & Herc wanted to make something of himself. So he used what he had. Didn’t bother me & I didn’t find it “untenable”.

The sales clerk may have somehow removed the sensor thing so it wouldn’t go off. The amount of money he got to keep would make him do this.

Which one was Cutty? It’s been a while.

Levy was a huge slime & Herc willingly allowed himself to be sucked into the slime too. Levy was his boss & Herc wanted to make something of himself. So he used what he had. Didn’t bother me & I didn’t find it “untenable”.
Cutty was Dennis--the guy who reformed himself by opening the gym and doing lawn work for money.

Ultimately, Herc did seem like the type to go for whatever moved him forward, but I just didn't see him as the type to turncoat quite like that.

Stringer Bell was my favorite too. Felt like he was trying to raise himself out of the muck and mire before it all fell apart.

those sensors don't always work anyways, the products have to have some sort of tag, and that was a small business and the man was more than happy being handed a large wad of cash even though he was confused.