Sane's Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Apocalypse Now is amongst my absolute favorites, masterpiece film, not just a regular war movie. Se7en is a stunning, intense psychological thriller. Memento, interesting film, one that I loved, but one that I've had no desire to revisit, perhaps since the twist is still clear in my mind. Goodfellas is great Scorsese. Cloverfield ya decent, as Raul said. I digged the first fifteen minutes. Breathless is my favorite Godard, post that, bleh

40. Satantango (1994) - Bela Tarr (Hungary)

Just wanted to make sure Mr Minio is still paying attention This movie was quite an experience. I was a little scared going into it - I struggle with movies longer than 90 minutes so 7.5 hours was a bit daunting. I tried once but couldn't handle it - kept thing "only 7 hours to go" ... "only 6.5 hours to go". So I broke it up into 5 parts and watched them individually. Once I did that I become absorbed and was looking forward to the next part as soon as the last finished. I was watching some parts on the train and twice I almost missed my stop - this movie is somewhat hypnotic with it's use of music and sound. Overall it's great - the only negative is I felt it was slightly self-conscious. It was as though it's length was an element of the art - like it was aiming to be really long rather than just being as long as it needed to be. That's not much of a criticism though and possibly that was just me thinking it rather than it being an actual issue with the movie.

39. Memories of Matsuko (2006) - Tetsuya Nakashima (Japan)

I mentioned earlier that for me the 2000s is the best decade thus far for movies thanks to the quality coming out of Asia - rivalling Europe & the US. Well, one of the directors responsible for that is Tetsuya Nakashima. He has only made 6 or 7 films - all have been good and two have been excellent. The great thing about him is that, firstly, he makes visually stunning movies in a range of styles - no two Nakashima movies look the same. Secondly he makes movies with great, but flawed, characters. This is the story of a guy cleaning out his estranged Aunt's house after her death - from this we gradually learn about her life. This movie is beautiful and heartbreaking.

38. Life is Beautiful (1997) - Roberto Benigni (Italy)

Kind of a controversial movie this one. I understand certainly why some people hate it but for me it comes down to what you interpret the movie to be. I interpreted this as a really emotional story of a man doing what he believes he needs to do to protect the innocence of his child. I didn't love the comedy in the first half but once it developed the man's love for his family in such horribly difficult circumstances, it really affected me.

37. Last Train Home (2009) - Lixin Fan (Canada)

I think this is the only documentary on my list. I watch quite a few but when I rate them I tend to do it by comparing them to fictional movies. They don't really have to deal with scripts and acting so it seems unfair on fictional movies to just rate them according to how interesting they are. Not sure if that makes sense but basically I will only give a documentary a very high rating if it is directly comparable to a fictional movie. In this case, Last Train Home is the story of the huge migration of Chinese people going home around New Years. However, it focuses directly on one family and for that reason I felt like it was just like watching a fictional movie. There was very little talking directly to the camera and we learnt about the members of the family and how they struggle with various issues in modern China. Parts of this were very emotional and one scene in particular was very hard to watch. Overall it was fascinating.

36. Hunger (2008) - Steve McQueen (UK)

Basically the last six weeks in the life of an Irish hunger striker. This is McQueen's first movie and the only one I've seen so far. This is, quite simply, a brutal movie. Almost nothing in it is "entertaining" - there is some amazing acting, particularly by Fassbender, but it is not a movie you can enjoy as such. It is, however, completely engrossing.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
1. Glad you loved Satantango.
2. Watch Shame, heretic.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

We are really getting to the movies I love now ...

35. Downfall (2004) - Oliver Hirschbiegel (Germany)

The last few days of Nazi Germany's leadership. The main feature of this is really the brilliant performance by Bruno Ganz as Hitler but what really got to me was the way the characters were depicted. For perhaps the first time ever Hitler was depicted as a real person - an insane, psychotic real person but still, a real person. As I said before I want movies to make me feel and think - this certainly made me think. It was showing the characters as they probably really were - people with families and hopes for the future ... who were responsible for the deaths of millions of people.

34. American Psycho (2000) - Mary Harron (Canada)

One of my favourite movies ever from a dialogue perspective. Maybe because at some stage in the 80s I probably had a conversation about the artistic merits of Sussudio ...

33. 2046 (2004) - Wong Kar Wai (Hong Kong)

2046 is basically a sequel to Wong's In the Mood for Love which itself was basically a sequel to Days of Being Wild. However sequel is kind of a loose term - some of the character's are the same and they do follow on from each other but they are equally watchable as individual movies. When I first watched this I was really disappointed. It has a sci-fi element which completely threw me and I just didn't understand it. However, upon re-watching it all made sense and I appreciated what a beautiful and interesting movie this is. The sci-fi part of the movie is actually a story written by Tony Leung's character, Chow, and fits well with what Chow has become. He obviously lost Maggie Cheung's character from In the Mood for Love and is now pretty much just a womaniser - with various women who move in next to him. This is really what makes the movie so good - Leung's interaction with my favourite actresses from China & Hong Kong. No-one can match Maggie Cheung but Faye Wong, Gong Li and, in particular, Zhang Ziyi come very close.

32. Intouchables (2011) - Olivier Nakache/Eric Toledano (France)

Story of a rich quadriplegic being looked after by a young African guy. Essentially true although some details have obviously been changed. You basically know what you are going to get with a movie like this - or at least you are hoping that it will turn out the way you want. Sad, funny, uplifting ... all that. Well, in terms of those things, this was damn near perfect thanks largely to the performances and chemistry of the two leads.

31. The Godfather (1972) - Francis Ford Coppola (USA)

Not much I can say about this. It would probably be up higher except for a couple of issues I had but overall a great movie. With this, Part II and Apocalypse Now, I don't think I can find a director with a better Top 3.

Life is Beautiful works tremendously for a holocaust comedy, a highly balanced and precise movie, with some nice re-creation. Hunger I absolutely hate, and its garbage in my eyes. I didn't get why everyone was so mad. I prefer more laid back prison dramas, like Orange is the New Black or Prison Break (TV shows), Hunger and animal factory are two prison movies I hate. Jailbait is a funny prison mini series, just throwing that out there for anyone who wants to take a look. Downfall brilliant film, which humanize Hitler and the inner circle, to a still hatable extent. Godfather is just that.

30. Hana-Bi (1997) - Takeshi Kitano (Japan)

He's an odd one, Takeshi Kitano. I find all of his movies a little bit weird in some way - I tend to find them a little hard to connect with and then they either suddenly grab we and I really like them or I stay kind of detached. I think it's a lot to do with his acting style - which is pretty much emotionless except for the odd funny moment. Anyway, for me this is his masterpiece. It's about a cop whose life spirals out of control due to events on the job and in his personal life - his wife is dying. Great movie with a brilliant understated ending.

29. Detachment (2011) - Tony Kaye (USA)

Of all the movies I have watched lately, this was probably the biggest surprise. I was not expecting to be affected by it as much as I was. It's about a high school in which both teachers and students have lots of issues. The main focus is Adrien Brody and this is the highlight of the movie. The film itself is heavily flawed but his performance is simply fantastic. It can seem to get a bit melodramatic at times but he copes with it perfectly and is constantly believable.

28. City of God (2003) - Katia Lund/Fernando Meirelles (Brazil)

Interesting that I can only recall seeing two Brazilian movies and both had quite similar themes. The first, Pixote, I saw about 20 years ago and the second was the brilliant City of God. Managed to have a perfect mix of grit and style - looked fantastic but was appropriately unpleasant when it needed to be.

27. Blade Runner (1982) - Ridley Scott (UK)

I probably watched this for about the 10th time this year and the thing that really sticks out to me is how memorable it all is. There are some movies I watched two days ago that I can't remember a thing from but even though I hadn't seen Blade Runner for about 10 years so much of it had stayed with me. The rain, the buildings, Daryl Hannah's makeup, Harrison Ford questioning Sean Young, and more.

26. The Sweet Hereafter (1997) - Atom Egoyan (Canada)

I watched this after seeing it appear in the 90s countdown. After seeing it I've been through some of Egoyan's earlier movies and it's almost like you could feel this movie coming. He has a style and a way he wants to tell a story and whilst his other films were good, I felt with The Sweet Hereafter it all clicked and he created something great. Egoyan is, to me, a story teller and The Sweet Hereafter is, simply, a brilliantly told story. He likes to have multiple threads that all come together as time goes on and every part of this one worked.

Unregistered User
Great last set especially Hana-Bi and Detachment although im yet to see The Sweet Hereafter.
Hard to beat Kitano when he's on form, id have Zatoichi as his best.

25. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) - James Foley (USA)

There haven't been too many movies with a better cast than this - at least not in the last 30 years anyway. Pacino, Lemmon, Harris, Spacey, Baldwin, Arkin ... Thankfully they were given a great script to work with.

24. Dog Day Afternoon (1975) - Sidney Lumet (USA)

Another of the many great movies to come out during the 70s. Basically an interesting story very well told. A feature is obviously the performance by Pacino but for me, as he did in all his films, Cazale raises the level of the whole film with his sometimes reserved but great performance. Is there an actor with a better resume in their short career than Cazale?

23. Django Unchained (2012) - Quentin Tarantino (USA)

It's Tarantino so great script, great cast, etc. The first time I watched it I turned it off less than halfway through but gave it another go and glad I did as I now think it is Tarantino's second best film.

22. Chungking Express (1994) - Wong Kar Wai (Hong Kong)

It's not often that anyone can steal the limelight from Tony Leung but Faye Wong did it in this. Amazingly it was one of her first acting roles (she is a well known Hong Kong singer) and she has seldom acted since (although she was in another WKW movie on this list - 2046). This is essentially two separate love stories with Tony Leung and Takeshi Kaneshiro playing Hong Kong cops. This was initially devised as a movie with three stories but the third ended up forming part of WKW's Fallen Angels (which just missed this list). The first story, Kaneshiro's, is interesting enough but it is the second half with Leung and Wong that make this movie great.

21. Pather Panchali (1955) - Satyajit Ray (India)

I have very little experience with Indian movies but I've been wanting to watch more of them for a while now. I've seen the standard "Bollywood" movies that have been popular internationally, like Monsoon Wedding, and whilst hey were nice enough they haven't really struck me as being anything special. So, finally thought I should watch some of Ray's movies and obviously this was the best starting point. I've mentioned it before but I love this style of movie - like Bicycle Thieves, lots of Ozu movies, Iranian cinema and so on. All the way through it was fascinating both as a movie in it's own right but also from a cultural perspective. I've not watched his next two Apu movies but am looking forward to seeing them.

What made you turn Django off in the first 30 minutes???

Impossibru!
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

What made you turn Django off in the first 30 minutes???

Impossibru!
I was probably in the wrong frame of mind for it. I just seemed to be struggling with it and then got to the dog scene (maybe more than halfway through actually, don't remember) and thought "dude, too far!". Spoke to my brother about it and he said it was his favourite Tarantino (although his wife hated it) so watched it again.

Sometimes I make the mistake of watching a movie with a bit of depth when I'm tired - should just stick to my favourite form of mindless entertainment, Zombie movies

Finished here. It's been fun.
Django is a great film, although the last 20 minutes or so could have been cut down a bit. Tarantino got a bit self indulgent there.

Django is a great film, although the last 20 minutes or so could have been cut down a bit. Tarantino got a bit self indulgent there.
I'd agree with that. I think it's time he stopped inserting himself into his films - cameos are fine but he's just not a good enough actor to play an actual part and in this one in particular it was really out of place.

Well, his cameo in this was not nearly as entertaining as it was in Pulp Fiction.

Probably the reason it felt a bit too long for most people is because the final shootout scene really should have been the ending of the movie. Having him get captured and then going back to the plant roughed up what was a pretty free flowing plot. Other than Django blowing up the whole house, that whole section was probably overkill.

But as far as problems go, I don't think it will turn anyone away from watching this again, because it is an awesome and fun film.

Some random thoughts while going through you list:

Really glad to see Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill but I think they are much much superior to Django Unchained.
I also had Seven Samurai on my list,quite high actually but it's been a while since I've seen it and it is fading a bit,I feel that I might not like it as much as I used to.
Saving Private Ryan has great visuals and it is entertaining but as a war movie,I think it's completely unrealistic story-wise. )
I watched Life Of Pi,it was enjoyable but I forgot it in few days.
Last King Of Scotland is very good,loved Whitaker in this.
I'm one of the few people who disliked Juno,it's too weird.I also didn't like Memento but,excluding The Dark Knight,I don't like Nolan overall.
Clockwork Orange,Psycho,Bicycle Thieves,12 Angry Men are classics which you don't even have to like in order to appreciate its beauty.
Star Wars is the best movie of the whole franchise,in my opinion.Glad to see it higher than Empire.
I'm not a big Coens fan but Fargo is so stylish,I think it's one of the most unique films style-wise.
The Deer Hunter is an excellent movie.Love how long the party scene is,it lets you get to know the characters.
Aliens,Apocalypse Now,Goodfellas,Downfall,Blade Runner,Schindler's List,Dog Day Afternoon and Seven are plain great.
American Psycho and Babel are very mediocre for me.
And finally,Godfather is the best film ever made. :P
I want to see Detachment,La Haine and Breathless. Lady Vengeance always looks so cool from the posters but everyone says that it's too surreal for me to like. So I don't watch it.

Well, his cameo in this was not nearly as entertaining as it was in Pulp Fiction.

Probably the reason it felt a bit too long for most people is because the final shootout scene really should have been the ending of the movie. Having him get captured and then going back to the plant roughed up what was a pretty free flowing plot. Other than Django blowing up the whole house, that whole section was probably overkill.

But as far as problems go, I don't think it will turn anyone away from watching this again, because it is an awesome and fun film.
I'm a bit biased because if there is one thing Australians dislike it's bad attempts at our accent He's quite funny when he plays himself and the role fits with the movie but as his movie making matures the roles he can play no longer fit IMO.

You are right though, won't put me off loving his films.

I want to see Detachment,La Haine and Breathless. Lady Vengeance always looks so cool from the posters but everyone says that it's too surreal for me to like. So I don't watch it.
Thanks for the comments Just on the last one, have you watched Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Oldboy? The trilogy actually works quite well if you watch them in order even though the stories are unrelated. For me, Mr Vengeance is the weakest and perhaps simplest of the three. Oldboy then has very dark themes but in parts is quite funny and has more action & horror elements. Lady Vengeance is probably the most surreal but after watching the other two I had a feel for Park's movies so it was quite easy to watch.