Neiba's All-Time Top 100 (2015 Edition)

→ in
Tools    

A Clockwork Orange took me 3 or 4 watches until I made it past the 20-30 minute mark. I loved the opening shot, but it was a filthy nasty film by the looks of it. But those multiple watches of the first minutes ended up paying off and I could buy into it all and understand it all better - also, it all made sense once the movie changed halfway and began explaining and examining what happened earlier...

Amazing pick, I love the fiilm and cool to see it all the way up in the top 3!

Great choice! A Clockwork Orange is a wonderful piece of film.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
this is a painful watch; which may be why its been a while since watching it for me. You are INSTANTLY drawn in with that opening scene and held on tight, much like Alex during the infamous eyes forced open scene to bare witness to all that befalls. It's a hard ride, but a truly glorious one. A great #3.
That's why I like Kubrick so much! There's a feeling of great relationship with all the characters because the theme of the movie is recreated in its atmosphere, being the coldness of machine in 2001 or the intensity and discomfort of violence in A Clockwork Orange!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
That's why I like Kubrick so much! There's a feeling of great relationship with all the characters because the theme of the movie is recreated in its atmosphere, being the coldness of machine in 2001 or the intensity and discomfort of violence in A Clockwork Orange!
exactly!

Trainspotting
Danny Boyle
UK

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suit on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the **** you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

If you want to make a movie that disencourages the use of drugs, it has to be dirty, it has to have unpleasant moments and it has to create repulse in the viewer. However, it needs to be much more than that if it wants to be more than just a propaganda film - it has to be stylish, cool and intelligent, without ever patronizing. Trainspotting achieves all that and much more!
The impecable script is filled with hilarious and gritty dialogues, brought to life by an excellent crew of actors, and set in an amazing atmosphere created by Danny Boyle.
The amount of memorable scenes, from the infamous toilet dive to the final lines, make of this one of the Independent films that defined the 90s.

It's a good thing anyone should make a film against drugs. But I was laughing my head off. "We, the Scotts are the worst pile of s* ever to be s* out on the face of the Earth! Others at least have good oppressors! But we even s* that!" Not that I have anything against either.

Judgement at Nuremberg

Stanley Kramer
USA

There was a fever over the land. A fever of disgrace, of indignity, of hunger. We had a democracy, yes, but it was torn by elements within. Above all, there was fear. Fear of today, fear of tomorrow, fear of our neighbors, and fear of ourselves. Only when you understand that - can you understand what Hitler meant to us.

Here's what I wrote on my review thread about Judgement at Nuremberg:

Judgment at Nuremberg is a 1961 film directed by Stanley Kramer and starring Spencer Tray, Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark, Marlene Dietrich and Maximilian Schell.
Based on the homonymous novel by Abby Mann, which is based on true events, it portrays the events following the World War II in Germany, focusing on the trial of four Nazi judges by an American courtroom.

Much can be said about the technical work and the acting of this movie:
Kramer’s camera work explores the confined space of the court (stage to 90% of the movie), managing the plot development in a masterful way. His way of solving the language issue of the plot may look strange at first but it gradually turns into the most natural and simple option.
As a whole, the brilliant direction places the viewer directly into the courtroom. Once there, one of the strongest casts in the history of Hollywood does the rest. There is no less-shining star on this brightful constellation, one can almost feel that every actor realized the genius of the script they had in their hands and gave it a life that a thousand of years of cinema won’t surpass!

And this takes us to the writing. To tell you about how much the whole premise and the writing meant to me I have to tell an episode from my own life:
Last year I had the opportunity to visit Anne Frank’s House in Amsterdam. After 2 hours of waiting under a cold rain to enter the house, I finally started what would become one of the most terrifying and unforgettable experiences I ever had. I left completely overwhelmed by the whole atmosphere inside those walls, practically bursting in tears and I had to walk for hours to ease my mind. I still have a poster with Anne's face on the wall of my room - so I won't forget it.
This movie made all those memories come back. Made me have to pause a lot of times to take a deep breath, made me want to scream of frustration and of hate for all that made so many deaths possible. I have to think really hard if I want to think of any movie better written than this one, and being me a huge fan of great scripts, that says a lot.
This is what cinema is all about, in my opinion - create situations and atmospheres that resonate inside oneself like as if they were real. I am not German nor Jew. I wasn't born when World War II took place. My country didn't take part in it. But I felt like I was ageless and countryless. I felt like all mankind should feel about what happened in Europe during the Third Reich.
The fact that the Europe is slowly going in that direction again is as frightening as is infuriating. Another reason this masterpiece should be exhibited world-wide – so they won’t forget.
This scene is my favourite monologue of all time! It's inspired, realistic and has a huge impact!

Pulp Fiction

Quentin Tarantino
USA

Ezekiel 25:17: "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."

Everyone who knows me quite well here, knew this was coming!
Pulp Fiction may not bet the most perfect or artistic of all time, it can even be argued it lacks content, but it's a film that proves that a masterpiece can be a masterpiece without those things!
The reasons why Pulp Fiction is so loved by so many are well known: It changed the american independent movie making for good, giving birth to one of the most amazing generations of directors in recent history, it has some of the most amazing wrinting ever, it has incredible performances, legendary scenes, memorable quotes and it's cool as a movie can possibly dream of being.
Besides that, it's the first great movie I ever watched ever, it's the primary reason I love cinema so much and the masterpiece of one of my heros, Quentin Tarantino.
I still know by heart the entire dialogue of the hamburger scene and I think I am not the only one in this forum; I still go to McDonals and ask a Big Mac with a french pronounciation, and I always walk with my Bad Motherfuc*er wallet!

Instead of a scene, I chose a video that sums up some of the best quotes of the film! Impressive as I know the great majority of them word for word!

At least you have a decent top pick.

Seriously though, congrats on finishing you new 100. You've really put the effort in and I hope you're happy with it.

At least you have a decent top pick.

Seriously though, congrats on finishing you new 100. You've really put the effort in and I hope you're happy with it.
Thanks HK

Yeah, I hope that in a year it will change a lot, that would mean that I'd have watched great movies!

Neiba Congrats! on a super list with lots of movies I actually like.

Way back I said I hoped my new favorite movie would by coming up or I would be disappointed (joking of course)....

And there it is: #2 Judgement at Nuremberg, since you nominated that for the WWII Hof, I've been very enthusiastic about it, so a big thanks!

I'm so glad your number one is Pulp Fiction. That was the first movie that ever blew my mind, and it's my favorite Tarantino. It's not in my top 10, but you'll see it appear on my top 100 eventually.

Master of My Domain
Congrats on finishing your Top 100. I need to make my own one, but I've been procrastinating. Love your #1, it is indeed a badass film. Haven't seen Judgement at Nuremberg yet.

Can't argue with Pulp Fiction, quite an amazing film indeed! Haven't seen Judgement at Nuremberg but have heard many good things about it.

Congrats on a great list!

Se7en

David Fincher
USA

If we catch John Doe and he turns out to be the devil, I mean if he's Satan himself, that might live up to our expectations, but he's not the devil. He's just a man.

In my opinion, David Fincher's masterpiece (though it's not the last movie of his appearing on this ranking).
The soundtrack, the camera angles, the cinematography, the lightning, the ever raining decaying set... Everything works to create a thrilling atmosphere that alone makes of this film a suspense masterpiece.
Add to that a great script, amazing acting by Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman and especially Kevin Spacey and a poetic and a cruel final twist and you have the reason why Fincher is one of the best directors in business.

Well, all three are among my favorite actors. And I agree, Kevin (need I say it? Should've won an Oscar) I mean just look at the pic...You know those performances when you're actually afraid of the guy. I actually don't really even know who Fincher is, but I hear his name all the time. btw, wasn't the last sin revenge? You know, will he or will he not kill him. And there I must say it's utterly realistic. I hope I don't sound like a biggoted Christian, but I guess the sad point of the movie is people are a fallen race - we will always sin. Oh, yeah! My favorite line is when Morgan's admiring Kevin, and Brad says: He is crazy! He probably dances right now covered in peanut butter and his grandma's clothes! I don't know what's wrong with me. Even in Se7en I like most its humor.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Beatle, Spacey did win an Oscar that year but it was for the wrong film (The Usual Suspects).