Neiba's All-Time Top 100 (2015 Edition)

→ in
Tools    

The Green Mile is a favorite of mine. everytime I watch that movie I always cry during 20min and performance are terrific.

Those feelings are real as hell...

I love that list with a passion!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

Once Upon a Time in America

Sergio Leone
USA/Italy

Noodles... I slipped...

Of every gangster movie I've ever seen, none fascinates me as Once Upon a Time in America!
I can't even describe how much I love this! The acting, the soundtrack, the cinematography, the camera work and the script work together to create a marvellous atmosphere like nothing I've ever seen in other movies...
It's a film of epic proportions, brilliant in every aspect and with a terrific pacing that makes its almost 4 hours feel like nothing! It's an humbling experience to be able to witness Leone's ability to tell a story with so many talented people working around him. This was his last movie and I just wish he could have done more!

Die Hard: With a Vengeance a.k.a. Die Hard 3
John McTiernan
USA

Yippie-kai-yay motherfuc*er.

I can imagine the creators of Die Hard talking:
" - Hey, what if we took the best action film in history and add Samuel L. Jackson to it and see what happens?"
" - Fuc* yeah dude, here's your raise!"

That basically sums up why I love this movie so much! The original Die Hard is a masterpiece, one of the most influential action movies of all time. This one is all that plus Sam L. Jackson on Pulp Fiction's Jules mode. Insanely quotable, with brilliantly orchestrated action scenes and incredibly funny. Action doesn't get much better than this!

I like Die Hard 3 plenty, but not nearly as much as the first 2.

I need to see Once Upon a Time in America again; I hated it the first time.

Les Choriste
a.k.a. The Chorus
Christophe Barratier
France

Action. Reaction.

There's not a lot of movies I keep close to heart since childhood, but this is one is definitely one of them.
Amazing script, great acting, brilliant direction and especially a sountrack that is a masterpiece by itself. I don't know why it has so much power over me, but it's really hard not to cry when I listen to this.
I can't say I totally relate to it because I was never in a boarding school but I began singing in a choir when I was 15 and till then I HATED to sing. Thanks to one of the most inspiring persons I've ever met, the choir director, I ended giving up engineering school and becoming an opera singer.
This film resonates inside me on a very deep level and it will always be one that moves me like few others.

Das Leben der Anderen
a.k.a. The Lives of Others
Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
Germany

An innocent prisoner will become more angry by the hour due to the injustice suffered. He will shout and rage. A guilty prisoner becomes more calm and quiet. Or he cries. He knows he's there for a reason. The best way to establish guilt or innocence is non-stop interrogation.

Das Leben der Anderen begins as a political movie, set in East Germany during the Iron Curtain period... However it goes much deeper than that! It's a story about freedom, about right and wrong, about love to the art and about change!
This is something Hollywood can't produce, in my opinion! This has the German soul! Such honesty and simplicity always focusing what really matters - the human condition!
Wonderful directing and acting and an amazing soundtrack with some simple but really effective moments!

Per qualche dollaro in pìu
a.k.a. For a Few Dollars More
Sergio Leone
Italy/Spain/West Germany

I generally smoke just after I eat. Why don't you come back in about ten minutes?

This is an excerpt of what I wrote on my review:

(...)

For a Few Dollars More has all the advantages of not being the first major spaghetti western, being more mature than its predecessor, For a Fistful of Dollars (1964). Everyone knows now exactly how to do things: Leone has solidified his style and technique, Eastwood and Volonté are much more comfortable with their characters (Eastwood, in particular, delivers his best performance on a Leone film) and the new guy, Lee van Cleef is an amazing addition to the cast, lending his coolness and experience to this masterpiece.
Also in the acting field, it's a pleasure to watch Klaus Kinski and Luigi Pistilli as member of the gang. Small roles but huge actors!

I've already talked about Leone being more mature. In fact, it's his direction that makes of this film such a great one. From beginning to end, the tension is built at a slow yet steady pace, fitting perfectly its 2 hour length. It’s not made to be an “opera” like Once Upon a Time on the West (1968) or even The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1965) and it’s its almost lack of grandiosity that makes this such a brilliant western. It’s hard, gritty and straight to the point and the italian director is clever enough to make of every aspect of the film perfectly tuned with his concept: the calm but relentless music of Morricone’s outstanding soundtrack, the quiet personality of the 3 lead characters, the great pacing management and the glorious cinematography and camera work create the ideal conditions to an apotheotic final duel, where the tension is stretched to an almost nauseating point, and solved with a fast and powerful explosion. And that is Leone’s secret: creating impact by contrast.

(...)

Le Trou
a.k.a. The Night Wash
Jacques Becker
France

When you do a movie which is screened 80% in a prison cell and using only 5 actors you need perfect acting, an interesting concept and good writing! If the movie is a thriller, even harder the task! Well, this movie goes for it and it's amazing!
I felt so claustrofobic, so anxious and so thrilled by it! When I realized I was breathing with the characters, feeling relieved whenever they were feeling releived,scared when they were scared, etc.
A masterpiece and one of the best movies of the 60s!

As much as I love crime films, I still have yet to see Once Upon a Time in America. Really need to get to that one!

Can't go wrong with Die Hard, one of the best action series for sure and For a Few Dollars More is an excellent western!

Master of My Domain
Thumbs up for Once Upon a Time in America and The Lives of Others. Both are in my Top 100.

I was disappointing with Die Hard 3, but I did love Jackson's character. His chemistry with Bruce Willis is worthy of praise.

Full Metal Jacket, Witness For The Prosecution, Once Upon a Time in America, For a Few Dollars More and Le Trou are great choices . I also quite liked The Truman Show but i barely remember it. The only other one i have seen since my last post is The Green Mile which i don't like at all, somehow i have managed to not see Die Hard 3 even though i have seen Die Hard 4

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
always loved that opening to Die Hard 3 with "Summer in the City" playing and then the explosion. . . definitely geared you up for what was to proceed.

Lives of Others is a great movie, and yes, they did an amazing job on the human condition.

For a Few Dollars More is pretty damn good too

haven't seen the other two but I am curious.

Dracula
Francis Ford Copolla
USA

Listen to them: the children of the night. What sweet music they make.

I had this on my Top 50 last year but a more recent watch made it fall some spots. Not that I didn't love it (or else it wouldn't be here), I just became aware of some of its flaws.
Nevertheless, from the brilliant opening sequence to the gory and erotic last act, Dracula has a terrific soundtrack, editing, cinematography and script (the fact that is so close to Stoker's novel is fantastic) but it's Gary Oldman who really makes this into something more than a really good movie. Oldman should be mentioned every single time everyone speaks of the best Dracula ever, right in the top of the list.
He becomes not only dangerous and creepy but also seductive and wise. It's a out of this world performance, especially considering how many great actors have played Dracula before and how fresh this role looks on Oldman. And that genius almost hides the fact that Keanu Reeves and Wynona Rider are simply not good enough to share the screen with Oldman and Hopkins.

Hi Neiba. This is my favorite version as well. And I couldn't agree more on Oldman. He's one heck of an (underrated) actor, he should've gotten an Oscar for this. I read he's quite an introvert, you know, doen't like the public eye and all that, and that in turn Hollywood is robbing him of Oscars. I think he hasn't won one yet. What a sacriledge!

Hi Neiba. This is my favorite version as well. And I couldn't agree more on Oldman. He's one heck of an (underrated) actor, he should've gotten an Oscar for this. I read he's quite an introvert, you know, doen't like the public eye and all that, and that in turn Hollywood is robbing him of Oscars. I think he hasn't won one yet. What a sacriledge!
Not only he did not win any Oscar as he was nominated just once!!! Yes, it's not only DiCaprio the Academy is forgetting...