Neiba's All-Time Top 100 (2015 Edition)

→ in
Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
neiba, you're an opera singer... BUT CAN YOU SING TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR?!
Never tried! Maybe I'll do an operatic version of it, someday! You'll be the first one to hear it!

Kaguyahime no monogatari

Isao Takahata
Japan

If we exclude Spirited Away, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is the most stunning anime I've ever seen! In some aspects, I'd say it's even better.
The animation is beautiful, the sountrack moving and the story completely breathtaking. It's a perfect innocent masterpiece that requires no deep analysis, just witnessing.

It's curious that the only two anime movies that made me cry like a baby were also the only two movies I ever watched by Takahata.

Boyhood

Richard Linklater
USA

Everything? What's the point? I mean, I sure as **** don't know. Neither does anybody else, okay? We're all just winging it, you know? The good news is you're feeling stuff. And you've got to hold on to that.

This movie impressed me the first time I watched it. I didn't quite know why, but it left me with a very special feeling.
One year later, I had the chance to watch it again, this time as a case study for a report in "Personality Development during the Teen Years" for a Psychology class. Surprisingly, the fact that I was looking at it from an almost completely analytic perspective made me liking it even more!
It's amazing how close to real life Linklater got with Boyhood! I watched it with all the psychology notes I had looking for specific traits of personality and phases and the movie has everything! Even if it's a 3-hour-movie, every minute is precious to build one of the greatest finales of this decade's cinema.
Life in a nutshell: A big picture made of small and apparently meaningless things that ultimately are everything that matter!

Dial M for Murder
Alfred Hitchcock
USA

No, I'm afraid my murders would be something like my bridge: I'd make some stupid mistake and never realize it until I found everybody was looking at me.

One of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen!
The whole first half is magnificent, it builds an incredibly tension that is sustained during the second part of the movie.
The acting and sountrack are superb but this movie is all about direction. Hitch makes this movie happen almost exclusively on the same room and yet it's impossible to get the eyes off the screen! It reminds me of Rope in that way but more mature now, a lot better executed.

Care for some gopher?
The whole first half is magnificent, it builds an incredibly tension that is sustained during the second part of the movie.
Interesting. I found the second half to be much more interesting and tense than the first half.

Interesting. I found the second half to be much more interesting and tense than the first half.
I loved how the plan was presented! To me, that was the most interesting part of the movie! But that's of course a personal opinion!

Master of My Domain
Dial M or Murder gets overlooked a lot for a Hitchcock film, but I honestly think it's better than North by Northwest or Rebecca. Superb choice neiba!

Black Swan was good but it started to get a little weird for me.

Haven't seen Dial M in a while, but I know I loved it, and I'll be seeing it again for the 50's countdown.

Kaguya isn't my style but it was ok.

Loved Boyhood!

Black Swan was good but it started to get a little weird for me.
If a movie is too weird for Cricket, then it's way too weird for me...I tried watching Black Swan some months ago but shut it off when it got weird.

If a movie is too weird for Cricket, then it's way too weird for me...I tried watching Black Swan some months ago but shut it off when it got weird.
I wonder if its the right amount of weirdness for me..

I think it would depend on the type of weirdness. Have you seen it?
Nope.. I have only seen three films by Aronofsky.... "Requiem for a Dream", "The Fountain" and "Noah"... I enjoyed the last two.. requiem was ok.

That probably didn't sound right. I wouldn't call it a weird movie; I just felt it got strange for a moment near the end. It's a really good movie.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
It is great seeing "Dial M for Murder" on here. I think it is one of Hitchcock's best, and it is such a shame that there isn't enough appreciation for it. I really hope that I will see this on the 1950's countdown. It would amaze me if it didn't appear on there.

The Man from Earth

Richard Schenkman
USA

Time... you can't see it, you can hear it, you can't weigh it, you can't... measure it in a laboratory. It is a subjective sense of... becoming, what we... are, in stead of what we were a nanosecond ago, becoming what we will be in another nanosecond. The whole piece of time's a landscape existing, we form behind us and we move, we move through it... slice by slice.

The Man from Earth can be called a "made for TV movie". Its actors are not particularly brilliant and there's no interesting cinematography.

But I just love this movie!!!

The premise is incredible - just 8 people in a room discussing the possibility of Immortality.
Schenkman knows where to take risks and when to play safe. Compare it with a regular Hollywood movie with simple premises that have plot holes larger than a white whale. This one has a risky premise that could fall down on the first 10 minutes of film but it holds up during 90 minutes.
I'd probably change the last 5 minutes to a more open finale, but the 85 minutes before that are awesome!