Raul's Film Thoughts

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
I feel like the only one who didn't think the humor in Volume 2 was good. Oh well, I am going to have to see it again with my boys. Maybe my cold heart will turn.
I didn't like it either. Oh hey, we put in really shallow sex jokes and slow motion action sequences with pop songs in the background, now give us your money. Which is sad considering that the first film did a better job with it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Lady Bird

An interesting little film here from Greta Gerwig. The movie doesn't work without a really strong performance from Saorise Ronan. She is the catalyst of the entire movie being really good for me. I loved the relationship between Lady Bird and her mother. It felt rather genuine and it seemed like these were people that could be in someone's lives. The human emotion that the film sparks is at the forefront of the film in that Gerwig wants us to know how life can give everyone many twists and turns the writing was great and had a good balance of humor in it. Ronan was great but I liked the support cast too certainly. Glad to see Hedges again and Laurie Metcalf was pretty great too. I think the ending is what moves the movie up a notch. It just feels so real. It's a coming of age film that really hits all the right spots and makes you think about how life choices can spark who a person shapes up to be. My favorite film so far in 2017.

Agree with all that. Now watch Dunkirk already!
When that DVD comes out I will be. Still saddened I never saw it in theaters.

There's a good chance I'll be watching Shape of Water in the theater when it's out.

When that DVD comes out I will be. Still saddened I never saw it in theaters.

There's a good chance I'll be watching Shape of Water in the theater when it's out.
This weekend for me I hope. Believe Dunkirk is sometime in December on DVD. I think u are going to love it.

Whale Rider

I was actually a bit disappointed by this one as I have heard great things about it. For me it was a bit mediocre. I thought Keshia Castle Hughes performance would wow me and not to be mean or disrespectful to her it didn't for me. The end of the film was rather moving and it was great to see her character overcome the odds but the story just didn't captivate me the way I wanted it to. I feel like I felt similar to this movie how I also felt about Beasts of the Southern Wild, ironically the film that Castle Hughes lost out to being the youngest Oscar actress nominee. In a stacked 2003 Oscar year, I prefer the performances of Watts and Theron among others.

This weekend for me I hope. Believe Dunkirk is sometime in December on DVD. I think u are going to love it.
It's the 19th for the record.

Can't wait to see Lady Bird, all i know about Whale Rider is one of the actresses was nominated for an Oscar very young, possibly the youngest? Or was that the Beasts of the Southern Wild kid?

It's the 19th for the record.

Can't wait to see Lady Bird, all i know about Whale Rider is one of the actresses was nominated for an Oscar very young, possibly the youngest? Or was that the Beasts of the Southern Wild kid?
Castle Hughes was the youngest, then Wallis overtook her in Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Whale Rider was also directed by female so may be worth a shot for some of you partaking in that countdown.

Castle Hughes was the youngest, then Wallis overtook her in Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Whale Rider was also directed by female so may be worth a shot for some of you partaking in that countdown.
Why don't you? There's loads of great films directed by women, you've probably seen a fair amount you like already and there's still four months.

My first two watches of the year:

Jaws REWATCH

I do really like this. I however refrain from thinking it is a masterpiece and people will think I'm nuts but it's probably sitting somewhere in the middle of the Spielberg films that I have seen. I think part of it is that it needs more tense scenes at the beginning while the ending sort of seems to drag on a bit. Of course these are minor complaints and it's still a classic in it's own right.

Shape of Water

A really beautiful film that took risks but certainly worked for me. I was mesmerized by Sally Hawkins performance as a mute. Crazy how she can go the whole film (well almost) without saying a word yet evoke so much emotion for her character. It's a tough call but this is another one of those best performances of the decade. The settings that Del Toro uses for his laboratory scenes are just pure beauty. There are just so many fantastic scenes like the theater scene and the bathroom scene that feel more or less like film poetry. The music by Desplat is on point. And the story is beautifully told. Actually Del Toro shows his story more than he tells, and that is something that he should be given a lot of props for. My second favorite this far this year. I won't be sad to see this as an awards stealers, especially on a technical scale.

Just wrote something up on my phone about Frances Ha and Dunkirk. And then of course it erased.

Well here's another try

Frances Ha

A movie that exceeded my expectations. I'm really starting to like the talent of Greta Gerwig. To know the potential that she has at age 34 is just fascinating. It's a great coming of age story. I really like the use of the black and white too. The supporting talent is there, but Gerwig is the one that makes the film a great one. This could be a new favorite.

Dunkirk

Well, Sean I hate to say it but I'm mildly disappointed with this film. Of course, I certainly knew that the look of the film would be the topper of the film cake and the film certainly was gorgeous. It's hard to give any crap to the sound department but I will admittedly say that the score did get a little testy and repetitive at times but I'll hope that was just my mood. Like any Nolan the film had a lot of layers to its story. I'm not sure with multiple rewatches how I will go about feeling about it to be honest. I feel like this was Nolan's big chance to tell his audience rather to show. He wanted his showing to do the telling, but it didn't tell me enough if that makes any sense. With rewatches I hope it's a film that can grow on me, but I'll be honest and say I'm not sure that will happen. It's nothing like anything he has made before, but give me The Prestige Inception and Dark Knight over this for the foreseeable future. It's kind of near Interstellar for me right now, but I may have liked Interstellar more.

-

That's a bummer about Dunkirk but I get it. I think a lot of people would like it better if it was more focused on just a couple characters but that it's not is kind of what I love about it.

I think I watch Frances Ha every year now. I need to just call it a favorite already, maybe this year. Gerwig is great, and Baumbach is the man to me these days.

A couple of non-Hall of Fame entries here....

Wall E

Seen it a million times obviously but I still love it. Love how the film can do so much with so few words. Just look at the world building in the photo above. Truly magnificent. It shows us a story instead of telling it and it works magnificently. The visuals and the sound are up there for being the greatest of this generation certainly.

The Greatest Showman

Not the greatest film made but it was still an interesting story even with it's supposed inaccuracies. Maybe a bit too much song and dance for me took away the joy in the true circus world. I never felt that world was all that rooted in stuff like that anyways. Zendaya was amazing and I've always enjoyed Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams. Zac Efron did his best to not ruin the film although he certainly made it go down a notch. Still an enjoyable film.

Porco Rosso

Man, I have so much appreciation for Miyazaki. I know he's not that liked here, but the man has a hell of an imagination and can tell a story better than most can. His animation is also a step above . I love how personal this film is and the story just really blew me away this time around. I love the character Porco. He doesn't try to make him a true hero but you find yourself growing to root for him as the movie goes on. Miyazaki had a huge love for planes and that truly comes out in this film. If it wasn't for Spirited Away, this would be his masterpiece.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Shape of Water

A really beautiful film that took risks but certainly worked for me. I was mesmerized by Sally Hawkins performance as a mute. Crazy how she can go the whole film (well almost) without saying a word yet evoke so much emotion for her character. It's a tough call but this is another one of those best performances of the decade. The settings that Del Toro uses for his laboratory scenes are just pure beauty. There are just so many fantastic scenes like the theater scene and the bathroom scene that feel more or less like film poetry. The music by Desplat is on point. And the story is beautifully told. Actually Del Toro shows his story more than he tells, and that is something that he should be given a lot of props for. My second favorite this far this year. I won't be sad to see this as an awards stealers, especially on a technical scale.

I love your review of SoW. It has inspired me to see it. Thank you.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hope you like it @Dani8 !
I'll certainly let you know, Raul. You have a beautiful way with words.