Best action heroines

Tools    

Originally posted by spudracer
Carrie-Ann Moss - The Matrix. She also did the terrible Red Planet but I don't recall her having any action sequences in it.
Spud hit the jackpot with this one, The Matrix being on of my fav movies of all time, Carrie-Ann Moss did a fantastic job of being a women and still flying through windows and saving the world

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
That's Ukrainian fashion model turned actress Milla Jovovich
My grandmother could look more dangerous holding that gun.
"Waif with a weapon!"

You know who looks like she could kick some ass...and I'm not sure she was ever in an action film, but Angela Bassett has got some killer arms. I watched How Stella Got Her Groove Back the other day, and I couldn't believe that body. I'm jealous.

Angela Bassett got closest to action star in the Sci-Fi flick Strange Days (1995), but no she's never really done one. Of course she got beat up a lot in What's Love Got to Do with It, but as Tina never picked up an Uzi and shot Ike dead, I guess that doesn't count either.

Bassett was long rumored to be Storm in the X-Men movie, and certainly physically and thespian wise she is much more suited for the part than Halle Barrie. But alas, it didn't happen (too bad).

Angela looks amazing of course and is a terrific actress, but as an African-American woman over forty, the odds of her ever getting a shot at action hero are fairly slim. And that's without even factoring in whether or not she'd want to do such a movie in the first place.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh jeez. I almost hate to say it, but I seriously liked the chicks in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. They did some serious ass-kicking.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
now, take those chicks from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - these are the quiet ones you don't think can be tough, they are just normal people with kickass skills. Which I like. So, that's what the Milla Jovovich characters always feel like, wiry, desperate women who are like ... some animal backed in a corner - they WILL fight. I believed her more in The 5th Element than in Resident Evil which just wanted her running around in a skirt. I can't believe that movie. A skirt and a BORROWED gun for only HALF the movie. puhleez.

but, for me ... Marcellus has captured it, of course. (LOOK LEFT). my queen, my muse, my love - female assassin extraordinaire - Aeon Flux. I have a fascination for killing, I guess. The others, they're just trying to survive. Aeon, she's trying to survive and get her jollies f*cking with people. With the occasional burp of a conscience. Hhehe. AND she be beautiful, sexy, and not afraid of sex and being a female. SHe isn't hardened.

And this is where we come to my conundrum. I like an action heroine who kicks ass AND is capable of ... sexual vulnerability. Emotional vulnerability. Ripley ... she's faced with the horror of the loss of life, which is across the board for all of us - ohmigod, horrible things are happening here, must get under control and survive and save lives if I can. We only see her Terminator side really, and there are some minor emotional moments, but really - she's on buttkick mode. Same for Linda Hamilton. She was definitely an improvement on T1 but ... she was tough to the point she couldn't really be a mother to her son - which is understandable but at the same time - it's not there. She's on Rambo mode.

So, me likey the chicks who ... have that subtlety, that ambiguity of "focus" on the target, I guess. Who circle it, leave us guessing. No one else can trust them and watching them, neither can we. that's the ultimate femme fatale. the one who'll shoot you without a second thought and not regret it, and if she does, we won't ever really know for SURE. and she'll do it like ... it's second nature. there is something incredible about strong self discipline, martial arts, weapons mastery ... agility ... dexterity ... all that yummy kickass stuff.

so for me, the best action heroine is a femme fatale. but yeah, i get for others it might not be the same. but i loved Carrie Ann Moss, she's my runner up. she isn't so hardened that she doesn't feel anymore ... it's there, and she's veiled it, but we we see it slip at all the right moments.

anyhoo. there we are.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
reading thmillin's post, which pretty much hit the nail on the head - although, i can't always relate to Aeon in the same way you do, i guess because im not female, and we all know that Trevor is so much cooler

anyway, that made me think of Nikita, who as you mentioned, isn't on Rambo mode - she was forced into that situation, and yet we still see other aspects of her - sexual, emotional, etc, while maintaining that kickass, sexy femme fatale attitude

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Demi Moore in G.I. Jane. Just kinda came to mind and I wanted to see what you guys thought.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike

Bassett was long rumored to be Storm in the X-Men movie, and certainly physically and thespian wise she is much more suited for the part than Halle Barrie. But alas, it didn't happen (too bad).

Oh man. No kidding. She would have done Storm justice!! Halle was too quiet and even tempered. Damn, that's a shame. She looks pretty damn good for her age; I'd cast her as an ass kicking secret agent or something. She IS too old to be running around half naked in some teen-oriented action flick...but I sure as hell could see her doing something in a cop uniform.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2...I was totally in love with her when I was in High School. She was so intense!

Michelle Yeoh in Supercop and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...@ss kicking extrordinaire.

Zhang ZiYi from CTHD (I am not gonna type it out again. HA.) even though she's not really a hero. She gets most of the cast killed....

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Trevor!! grrr ... actually Marcellus ... I feel the same way about him Aeon does. Desirable but in need of extermination.

ah yes, La Femme Nikita. Also my initial introduction to femme fatales. it was she and Aeon, and I think that was the first film I owned. there's nothing like a frenchman named "Bob." Heheh. I developed a crush on Tcheky Karyo. And Jean Reno. raaow.

as for Bassett - i meant to comment on her! i dunno if i did post this but back when XMen came out i made a ruckus about Berry - she definitely did not deserve the role above Bassett, who was indeed my first choice. I remember Strange Days, too. Sad that's the closest she can really get to main character, kickass, and love interest. grrr.

she's gorgeous. and toned as hell. she could kick halle's butt anytime!

Originally posted by thmilin
as for Bassett - i meant to comment on her! i dunno if i did post this but back when XMen came out i made a ruckus about Berry - she definitely did not deserve the role above Bassett, who was indeed my first choice. I remember Strange Days, too. Sad that's the closest she can really get to main character, kickass, and love interest. grrr.

she's gorgeous. and toned as hell. she could kick halle's butt anytime! [/b]
I, too, felt Angela Bassett was the best choice for Storm, and so did just about everyone else in the world who dream-casted the film.

It's the age thing, which Holden has already mentioned. She is over forty, and the studio wanted a young, "hip" cast--hence the mis-casting of James Marsden as Cyclops against Famke Janssen as Jean Grey. He looks like a kid, and she looks like a woman.

So Angela gets left out in the cold. But I vote her as an excellent action chick in Strange Days, for sure. And Aeon rocks, too--nobody kicks a*s in skimpy black leather better than she does! I miss Liquid Television... sigh.

Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment
Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde
Jennifer Lopez in Out of Sight

Anyone think J.Lo in Enough will make it on this list?

Can I get a halleluiah?

One hell of a good lookin', ass kickin', no name takin', bad ass babe.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."