Movie Tab

Tools    

See A Perfect World again, Spud. It's excellent, one of Eastwood's very best films and a big-time favorite of mine. You'll be amazed at the performance Costner turns in, as well as young T.J. Lowther, who has one of the best showings by a youngster on Hollywood film ever recorded too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'll make a note to Sir Holden. It's one movie I know that I can get from Blockbuster...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Though that would be a shame, Spud. Jack Green's 2.35:1 photography and composition is absolutely breathtaking (oh, you should've see it on the big screen), and to have it cropped to Hell for VHS and TV is a damn waste. Unfortunately for you, it's only available letterboxed on LD just now. A DVD is supposedly in the works, but no official release date yet.

Oh, well. As always, thank the Movie Gods for LaserDisc!

Is A Perfect World that movie with Costner spending much of the film in the backseat of a car befriending a little boy he had kidnapped? If so, I barely remember it, but remember that most of the movie was too slow paced for my taste, and that the ending disappointed me. I'll try to check it out again, though.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Good call, Spudly...I'm gonna watch that the day before the flick opens.
I'll watch the saber scenes, which are awesome, but I'll skip the rest for a few years.

Tomcats

As some man says (to an extent) in Billy Madison, everyone in the room was dumber for having seen that picture.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Panic Room

B+ - not as suspenseful as I was hoping

Saw Dinner Rush last night. I had to go to the local arty cinema to see it as it didnt get a very big release over here. This film was really good, I didn't really know what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised. The various stories linked together very well and I was genuinely surprised at how the final scenes played out. Its not very often that this happens nowadays. It didnt really have any well-known actors in it (Apart from Danny Aiello possibly) although I did recognise a couple of faces from TV. In some ways this is a shame as it probably limited it's appeal to mainstream promoters. However the lack of A-List (and indeed B and C list!) actors was a good thing and the film was probably better off for this. Very good (A)

Also had the dubious pleasure of seeing Queen Of The Damned. Im sorry, i know youre not meant to speak ill of the dead (no pun intended) but how was Aaliyah regarded as a good actress. I thought she was quite awful and wooden in this. Granted she may not have had a lot to work with but just waving your arms about in an attempt to appear seductive does not a good performance make. The guy who played Lestat was quite good, as was the vampire who sired him. I was also particularly horrified to see Paul McGann in this! Averagely enjoyable, nowhere near as good as Interview With A Vampire. A must try harder mark of (D+)

Behind Enemy Lines
"A-"
very good indeed. Excellent flying scene when the fighter jet is trying to shake off two heatseaking missiles.

Owen Wilson in a dramatic role!!! Well done.

By the way.....what's Gene Hackman's filmography up to now, about a million? And he doesn't do B movies, either. I can't think of another actor off the top of my head who has had so many starring or supporting roles.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
He doesn't huh? What's that movie called? Under Suspicion? I believe that is a B Movie. Just check his IMDB profile and see that the majority of his movies are well-known, while there are a few in there that aren't as well-known.

I saw that. Eh...not sure. It was kinda in-between...I mean, it had Morgan Freeman, too...two pretty big names there. I think it was a labor of love for the two of them, though...

Originally posted by spudracer
He doesn't huh? What's that movie called? Under Suspicion?
I knew for sure someone would bring that one up. I don't think it falls in the B category. It's being a personal project of Hackman and Freedman, combined with the fact that it's plot had some artistic merit even with its flaws, seems to put it into a different category. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but Hackman is still an extremely prolific top-shelfer.

Maybe this discussion should be moved over to the Actors and Directors forum, but think about how well he's broken into different types.....Westerns, thrillers, comedies, military action movies, animated. Pretty diverse, I'd say, especially for an ugly guy (what's with that hairline?!)

Working Girl (second time)
Good movie.

La Femme Nikita
It isn't as superior to Point of No Return as I have heard from so many, but I didn't expect it to be. Good action. See it with subtitles; the dubbing sucks (I've seen both versions once).

Now With Moveable Parts
Serendipity
nice love story...kinda predictable.

Molly Shannon is so cool. My hero.