what are some of the musts to be a critic

Tools    

well ive been out in the workforce for a few years now and about a year ago started a job that could be a perfect career for someone, but not me. so i was at the library sitting around checkin out some books contemplating on things that make me happy them being in no particular order bikes,movies,music,women and a few other things but those are the main ones. since i know ill never be a valentino rossi (motogp racer)
and im not big on being a male prostitute i was left with music and movies. What sort of things would you need to have (schooling, experience etc) to have a shot at being some sort of film or music critic or is it more of a luck of the draw type scenerio as it is with quite a few proffessions.

Learn how to write, first. That's key. Having opinions doesn't mean much if you can't express yourself well.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Hmm...
If you're interested in bikes and cars, then maybe you have a mechanical aptitude, and would make a great grip.

Since I don't see reading, writing or discussing films on your list, I think reviewing would bore you to tears.

btw i just realized that i meant to post this in the misc forum (admin help) and btw i love to read and am not bad at writing. i just write very informally on forums

If you are interested in becoming a professional critic then you're written word should matter very much no matter where you're writing. Besides writing on forums is a great way to hone your skills, or have your stuff possibly proof read.

Bug Planet Proximus
phooey.
The internet is the internet.
I understand internet forums prefer to have proper speech written in their posts, but that writing can still be different from a persons skills as a formal writer. Unforunately, I don't have any useful advice for Casa. Instead I will leave you with a quote from the book Cosmpolitan by Toby Cecchini.

When I told him my thoughts on attending cooking school he asked me, "You like to cook?" I answered yes, of course, and he replied, "Good, great, then cook, and enjoy it. Cook for your friends, whatever, but don't ruin for yourself by trying to become a chef. That's like deciding to become a prostitute because you like to f*ck."

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
phooey.
The internet is the internet.
I understand internet forums prefer to have proper speech written in their posts, but that writing can still be different from a persons skills as a formal writer.
All I was saying was that it would be good practice.

everyone has made some very valid points so far concerning the writing.