2017 - End of the Year Reminisce

Tools    

Well, here we are. It's about the end of the year. (And unfortunately for myself, I only have 1 day until Christmas break is over ) BUT, I still trying to remain positive and optimistic heading forward.

And so I ask, what are some of your favorite films of the year? It doesn't need to be a ranking or list. (See ScarletLion's Thread for dat, boi.) Just some notable mentions. Even If you haven't seen any, or even some from 2017: just list some of your first-time viewings or relevant rewatchings, and some of your thoughts on them.

First off on my rundown. (One that'll certainly piss off loads of ppl.)

Indeed ol’ chaps, and I f**king love it. Lololololololololol. Suck my custard triggered fanboys.

Just kidding. I would never tell you to suck my custard. In all seriousness, It’s still a solid
from me. Even separate from the universe It’s set in, as a film: It’s pretty captivating. In a way, I believe ‘The Last Jedi’ succeeded--where ‘Captain America: Civil War’ failed. It’s a darker, more challenging film, which explores deep themes instead of just minimally incorporating them whilst having zero stakes. And (albeit pretty unpopular opinion of mine) this ACTUALLY balances the humor with the serious aspects of the story, and It actually makes sense.
WARNING: "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" spoilers below
I.e; Luke will screw around with Rey for a brief moment when she’s been trained, but you don’t see Luke and Kylo making jokes and cracking one-liners when they confront each other on Crait.
Anyhow, the film is pretty despised by a loud portion of the fanbase. And I can understand how they craft their own point-of-view. But in time, don’t be shocked when this film garners an Empire-esc following, even by those who are currently on the fence about it. (Albeit, maybe not as ‘strong’ as Empire; but definitely special in it’s own way.) You can have your own opinion. It’s not the end of the world. But we all know one thing…

YOU ALL HAVE TO FACE FACTS, BECAUSE REYLO IS HAPPENING MOFOS!

And speaking of polzaring.

After all the films I’ve seen from 2017, I never thought this would still be amongst my absolute favorites. Perhaps thee film of the year, for several different reasons. ‘Mother!’ is a why I love cinema. Just to skip all my ramblings on this--just read MovieMediations absolutely superb review on this. #MyThoughtsExactly

This film is the pure definition of beauty; a divine work-of-art that's the film equivalent to a vibrant Édouard Manet piece, which (at the same time) perfectly portrays a breathtaking Sexual Awakening. Much like Chalamet's outstanding performance: the things that make CMBYN special are the small but noticeable rich details, resulting in one of the most nuanced pieces of cinema I've seen in years. The scenery itself is breathtaking without being unsubtle, and the characters and culture within that scenery just make you want to be there. And when the film ends, you feel like you were there: in Italy, back in 1983. It also (‘also’, without undermining the accomplishment at hand) perfectly encapsulates first-love between two people, who come from radically different lifestyles and cultures (except for the prominent jewish upbringing and the love of literature.) Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer's chemistry is something not to be unstated, what they accomplish is something truly special. That, paired with Luca Guadagnino's Masterclass Direction, and the Legendary James Ivory's sublime screenplay; makes this, by far: the best film of the year, in my humble and informed opinion. And I'm sure overtime, this could become one of my all-time favorites; a bonafide classic in my book.
WARNING: "’Somewhat’ Minor 'Call Me by Your Name''" spoilers below
And that speech near the end of the film. Oh lord help, I'm a shattered shut-in mess will never return to this site!!!!!!! slayed af 4ever NO RETURN

’Get Out’ is a great showcase of Jordan Peele’s talent, a film that captures the zeitgeist like lightning-in-a-bottle. In this current era of 'Trump' and his support base seemingly taking over the country, nothing can be more appropriate to be seen by America: than this film. It’s not here to shame racism (ala; 12 YAS, Mudbound)--but rather, to make a metaphorical, haunting showcase of it. Because the today’s racism is kept quiet. Only in small interaction, and conversation; does it come out in others. Much of it is internalized, and maybe even subconscious. An large portion of people today still have hold an idea of a typical stereotype or certain “concept”, in their heads about another race. And this (in return--Ala; Donald Trump) Modern Racism goes much deeper than “I don’t like you because you’re black, and black people are (for example) criminals, thugs, hoodlums.” These stereotypes are ingrained within others, and those same people believe It’s their duty to take action against another race of people. (Again, Ala; Donald Trump.) And this film perfectly exemplifies that, in it’s own way. In a less than a decade, I think If this film will be recognized by the public alongside other trailblazing and innovative films about race, such as ‘In the Heat of the Night’ and ‘Do The Right Thing.’

The way the film ends up leaving a lot to the imagination; really asks us to look ourselves in the mirror, and do something about the tragedies we deal with. And I’ll say this again: a LOT of people here will have plenty of issues with this movie. The film poses questions, but not a whole lot of answers. It incorporates racism, police brutality, and domestic abuse, breaks all of them down. But in the end, doesn't delve deep and make an example of them. 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri' is the most relevant film of the year, one that's ahead of it's time.

I went head first into Lynch's World.

And I got this:

So 2017 (in terms in general cinema), has been a rich year of film. Let's all hope 2018 will bode well, and I go nowhere near 'Solo: A Star Wars Story.'

I haven't put my favourite films of the year into a ranked order quite yet (putting films i enjoy on a spectrum isn't exactly my forte) but i've found myself being polarized by a few this year, most notably Good Time. It's urban/gritty setting and feel juxtaposes amazingly well with the movie's main theme of family, with the cinematography following suit in a schizophrenic manner. Everything in this film is shot spectacularly, and fluctuates between the feeling of freedom and space with the feeling of claustrophobia and intrusiveness (much like David Lynch's Inland Empire.)

The Safdie Brothers succeeded in bringing equilibrium to an array of different feelings and emotions by meshing them all together and creating a film that flows like water, which just so happens to be one of my favourites of this year.

It wasn't a bad year, a few decent horror flicks like Annabelle Creation, IT, the criminally underrated Life and the underrated A Cure for Wellness. the excellent Hush (yeah yeah, 2016 and all that but not for me) as well as Train to Busan (ditto) and the enjoyable 90s throwback Happy Death Day, I enjoyed both Emma Watson's films very much (both more than anything else since she's done since Perks), with B&TB my favourite of the year (especially unexpected since I don't really normally do either Disney or musicals lol), Aftermath was a decent if depressing drama with a very powerful turn from Arnie, I wish he'd make more films. Logan and GOTG2 were good comic book films in a genre I don't really have a lot of time for.
I give ihe year a 7/10.

"Luck don't live out here."
As far as what I flat out enjoyed the most (and plan on watching many, many more times), my favorite movies from this year are:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Wind River

Taylor Sheridan was already my favorite writer currently working in Hollywood, but now he has shown that he can direct as well.

Blade Runner 2049

I went into this movie not knowing what to expect because I wasn't a huge fan of the original Blade Runner, but I freaking loved it. I can't wait to buy it on Blu-Ray in a couple of weeks and watch it again.

Baby Driver

Great soundtrack and incredible chase sequences.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Dunkirk takes top position for me. Thought it was another brilliant Nolan entry, Given his consistency, he’d be also be my no. 1 director in the last decade.

for 2017 I saw a lot of English speaking films and very few foreign language films. This is odd for me as I loveeee foreign language films, mainly, French, Spanish (Spain and Argentina) and the Scandinavian countries (including Iceland). However, within the English speaking films, there were some surprises on the low-budget cinematic Horror. I really liked the comic book films this year as well. I became more of a fan of Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 than with the first film. Some movies had great soundtracks attached to them - Baby Driver and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 for instance. Overall, I enjoyed my films for 2017. I totalled out with 182 watched.

Best and Worst are overdone.

I'm going 2017 Most Underrated Movies. Movies that didn't get enough love but are DAMN good...

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone
The Man Who Invented Christmas
The Promise
The Foreigner
Same Kind Of Different As Me

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone
The Man Who Invented Christmas
The Promise
The Foreigner
Same Kind Of Different As Me
"Movies that didn't get enough love but are DAMN good..."

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I compiled a list on my film blog, but I will run it down here. Here are my top 10 then some honorable mentions:

10) Bushwick
9) Spider-Man: Homecoming
8) Brimstone
7) Handsome Devil
6) The Gracefield Incident
5) Wolf Warrior II
4) The Foreigner
3) Mayhem
2) Blade of the Immortal
1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi

My honorable mentions (will most likely get shot for at least one of these LOL)
Leatherface
Birth of the Dragon
Spidarlings
Savage Dog
Justice League