out of 5

Argo:
Good movie about a great story. I'm a support of Ben Affleck and thinks he did an amazing job as the director and the story is unbelievable and well told, and although I agree it should receive an Oscar nomination, I'm not sure that the award should have found it's home here this year.

Silver Lining Playbook:
I personally am a big fan of this film. I think Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper could read me the dictionary and I would still be engaged and entertained. This truly feels like a movie about real people doing real things that could really happen and it is refreshing and well done. I frequently find myself re-watching this movie and almost wishing it could continue on, in a television series type of way, and I could journey on with these characters.

Amour:

Django Unchained:
Quentin Tarantino showing that he still has it. Known for his amplified movies this is one that can be added to his lists of successes. The unique characters and dialogue being brought to life by an all-star cast help aid this movie in becoming a fan favorite among Tarantino fans.

Zero Dark Thirty:
Jessica Chastain carries this intriguing movie which feels like it could have been pushed to be more and is lacking something, what that is I do not know.

Lincoln:
I am a sucker for Daniel Day Lewis and this did not disappoint. An iconic man brought to life hundreds of years later by another iconic man. Each role Daniel Day Lewis plays it almost feels as though he was born to play that role, and this performance continues that pattern. Amazing direction and dialogue.

Life of Pi:
This movie, like Gravity which was yet to come, also allows the dam that hold my anxiety in break. Drown in the ocean or get eaten by a tiger. However, this is one of my brothers favorite movies. The colors entrance audiences and the CGI is ground breaking. To each their own, but my own fears get in the way of what I'm sure is a phenomenal movie.

Les Miserables:
Unsurprisingly, this movie executed exactly what it set out to do. The direction of this movie was spot on, bringing in actual heros and heroines of the stage, having them actual sing while shooting, and picking all the right people, though Russell Crowe is of much debate. A break out performance on the screen by Eddie Redmayne and Hugh Jackman steps out of his role as the Wolverine which he has made iconic and becomes the soft and understand Jean Valjean.

Beasts of the Southern Wild:

Winner: Argo
My Choice: Les Miserables