Oscar 89 (Films of 2016)

Tools    

Hello all, on my Bucket List I have to watch all of the movies who have ever been nominated or won Best Picture. I have a notebook I keep them in, but since it's 2018 I should probably start recording my progress with the computer. I'll also be able to expand my thoughts on them! I'm eager to hear how others feel about these movies and there opinions. The movies I do not give a brief review of I have not yet seen. Enjoy!

Moonlight:

Manchester By The Sea:
One of the greatest films ever made, in my pinon. The acting, the heartbreaking monologue Michelle Williams gave, knowing that she has felt such heartbreak and knowing she understands and is the perfect spokesperson for such emotion. Casey Affleck's performance of being such a lost and broken man while finding that balance of still eluding such gripping emotion and not getting lost in his character. Lastly, Lucas Hedge, who is able to hold his own next to two all-star actors, attain an Oscar nomination, and making sure all who see his performance have no shadow of a doubt that he was a mistake for that role. The cinematography stands out because it seems as though it was shot like a documentary of the landscape and town of Manchester By The Sea with this wonderfully heart wrenching story layered on top of it. It also received the Oscar for Best Screenplay. So with that added to an already dynamite cast, director, and town there is no wonder why this movie hits many people so hard.

La La Land:
Disappointing. I feel as though all the advertisement really overshadowed the movie. A typical story of two typical people that has been done time and time again. It was advertised as a musical, and as someone who grew up in a dance studio, this was no good. Looking back at other recent musicals made movies, Chicago and Les Miserables, this was a high school production that can't hold a candle to either of these which preceded it.

Arrival:

Lion:
A beautiful story about wonderful human beings doing wonderful things. Wonderful performance by Dev Patel. Sadly though, compared to other movies, that's all this is. A wonderful little story that warms one's heart and leaves the feeling of satisfaction. Oscar worthy? Maybe not.

Hell Or High Water:

Hidden Figures:
Like Lion, this is a wonderful story about wonderful human beings doing wonderful things. The performance of the women in this movie is kick-ass, they make their point gracefully. When I saw this movie I was with my father, an older, white male, and he walked out of the theater feeling all the girl power with some extra pep in his step, that alone proves they did what they set out to do. Bravo to them and I can't wait to see how each career develops, though can anyone expect any less from the fabulous Octavia Spencer? Powerful and elegant.

Hacksaw Ridge:

Fencers:

Winner: Moonlight
My Choice: Manchester By The Sea

This might just do nobody any good.
I’m in agreement that the substance of La La Land does not sustain its style but calling it inferior to the so-so efforts of Chicago or Les Miserables is a real disservice. The real star of that is Damien Chazelle, who, if Whiplash didn’t do it (and it kind of totally did), solidified himself as one of his generation’s most exciting directorial talents. There’s real mastery in the design, a sense of purpose in the filmmaking and that’s something lacking in the “color by the numbers” approach of the other two musicals.

Wasn't a fan. I feel it set people up to go in expecting one thing and walking out with something else. As for the disservice, if someone is flipping through a musical category and have to decide between La La Land and either of those two movies and chooses La La Land, they will be sorely let down. It was nothing more than a basic story that lacked substance and was honestly quite boring.

This might just do nobody any good.
Hmm, I don’t get that either. It seemed like a love story dealing with the sacrifices necessary for personal succcess through and through. Not sure how anyone could have expected... anything else from either the set-up, The promotional material or whatever.

Like I said, I don’t think the story is great at all, but it’s technical merits far surpass a lot modern mainstream musicals and they count for a lot on my book.