Arthouse Mafia

Tools    

I didn't quite feel engaged by the story. I wanted it to be more absorving though I can't say what went wrong. I feel that there is something on this movie calling for me but I just can't see it, relate to it or let myself be engaged by it.
I think the onis is on the viewer to learn to relate to art, not on the artist to make their art relatable.

The Terminator
If it does, then I'd be a member. Which is another way of saying it doesn't.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I think the onis is on the viewer to learn to relate to art, not on the artist to make their art relatable.
I agree. But the fact that my copy was so bad may have stopped me from enjoying.
I agree it's a great film, I can see that! But my ratings measure how much I like the film, not how good I think it is.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Fair enough. My ratings, however, measure both how much I like a film and how good it is, because since I am infallible, it's always the same thing in my case.
* remembers he just gave Mutant Girls Squad 4 stars*
Ugh...
It's a great film, though. Redfine your tastes or sumthin'!

Seriously, though. Sinbad is the movie of February. I have it ready to watch, but exams time is coming so I may not be watching it in the next two weeks, or so, because I will be busy with studying (and watching other films, too).

Sinbad (1971)

Sinbad is a 1971 Hungarian film directed by Zoltan Huszarik (who completed only one further feature film before his suspected suicide in 1981), and based on short stories by the writer Gyula Krdy.
This is a unique film with a very surreal and experimental feel to it.( It was selected in 2000 as part of the Budapest 12, a list of the 12 best Hungarian Films)
We watch as Sinbad revisits his past flames in a last attempt to make sense of his own life. The most accessible charm of this film is its aesthetic. Widely regarded as a lost masterpiece, Sinbad is one so bright, brilliant, and unique, that it will change the way you think about cinema as an art and as a mode of expression...
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

I'm looking forward to Sinbad. I can't wait to see the faces on the video store clerks when it turns out not to be the Sinbad they're thinking of.

My guess is this is a 4:3 film and my screencaps preserved the original ratio.

Netflix streaming tends to have less older film available. I have Netlix's DVD.Com which is where they mail you DVDS. I just checked and all of these: Gone with the Wind, Horse Feathers, The Adventures of Robin Hood are available.

I couldn't find Sinbad, but I did have fun seeing their surprised reactions when they were positive they had it, but didn't have it and telling the video store clerks that I was not talking about the stupid sailor movies.

I don't buy stuff online very often, but I will see if I can get it at some point.

I watched 'em all. There was no movie for May, though. It's almost the end of June, so let's just watch any arthouse movie and for July I propose L'inhumaine AKA The Inhuman Woman (1924).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'll try to find it.

If I made a pick one month I would go with Hiroshi Ando's Blue. It's on youtube in poorish quality, but other than that I have no idea how one would acquire it. I'm not actually certain if it's arthouse though. Alternatively I have The Color of Pomegranites and Murmur of the Heart which I haven't watched yet.

Recently I watched 3-Iron, Pigs and Battleships, and A Hole in My Heart. Before that I watched Kaspar Hauser, Les Carabiniers, and Stroszek.

3-Iron was the weakest, but still alright. Kaspar Hauser was interesting but with some wooden acting, and the rest were all great.