Untitled

Tools    

I dunno; did the 'gyptians build ramps to slide those big mutha-truckin' stones up there? I dunno how plausible that is, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I don't know where the pyramids came from, personally, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that it was just a bunch of fairly clever people. Mebbe, mebbe not.

Personally I think that it's possible that the egyptians didn't build the pyramids... it's possible that they were a relic from an earlier civilization and the egyptians simply moved into them. Historic documents say that the sphinx was built as a protector of the pyramid complex. As the archaelogists dig deeper and deeper into the sands they have discovered water erosion marks around the base of the sphinx. This would indicate that it is 11000 years older than we think it is as the geologic record indicates water covering the desert at that time.

Who really knows? When Caesar or Patriarch Theophilus or Caliph Omar burned the library at Alexandria I guess we lost the truth.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It would drastically change things though...knowing what really happened as opposed to a story passed down that we think happened.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

This is a brilliant thread.

It's seemingly based on riddles and mysteries, which are always exciting to discuss.

I think the Pyramids are an example of how much work you can get out of a man with a whip and lack of nutrition.

My favourite mystery concerns the authorship of William Shakespeare's plays. Most people accept that it was a peasant from Stratford-upon-Avon as fact, when all the evidence points otherwise. It was obviously Edward De Vere, a duke at the time, if you do any reading on the subject. The Web has lots of material. For instance, the William Shakespeare personified in Shakespeare in Love, has only 3 records of him signing his name, all of which were poorly and differently written. The man was an illiterate. It's one of History's saddest and yet most wonderful stories that a complete loser from the countryside is recognised the world over for being one of the world's greatest geniuses while the true genius gets no recognition at all.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Originally posted by spudracer
Fez...how did you find all this stuff? Book, Internet, Word of Mouth? Please share...
lol

let's just say I have way too much time on my hands

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
This is a brilliant thread.
Did you expect anything less from me?

Now With Moveable Parts
For instance, the William Shakespeare personified in Shakespeare in Love, has only 3 records of him signing his name, all of which were poorly and differently written. The man was an illiterate. It's one of History's saddest and yet most wonderful stories that a complete loser from the countryside is recognised the world over for being one of the world's greatest geniuses while the true genius gets no recognition at all.
Awww...I don't know if I'm willing to accept that as fact.

I know it's more romantic to think of him as a penniless tramp, but in reality you can't believe that to be true.

Shakespeare is a fraud

Check this link out. It's not the best source I've read but it's the best I've found on the net.

My favourite pieces of evidence are the above signature problem. The fact that William Shakespeare's kids were illiterate. His gravestone has got nothing fancy written on it. And how did he manage to write about Royalty and Italy so accurately? This man, Edward De Vere used a pseudynome (sp?) because it was unlawful for a member of Elizabeth's court to write and perform plays. Unfortunately his pseudonyme was too similar to a local merchant and now nobody remembers him.

Originally posted by spudracer
I knew about Elvis' brother...would've been cool to have two "Kings"
There's still a King around. It's me.

There are better odds of you dying in the next twenty-four hours than there are of you ever winning the lottery...

It's one of History's saddest and yet most wonderful stories that a complete loser from the countryside is recognised the world over for being one of the world's greatest geniuses while the true genius gets no recognition at all.
Yeah, but this is only but one of the many times that this occurs in history, even today it still happens.

ravens mate in free-fall.

There are no male or female sea horses

They are all hermaphrodites and could, in theory, spawn their own children

"Fabricated American"
Originally posted by filmfreak
There are no male or female sea horses
Are you sure? Sea horses are one of the one of the few species where the males care for the offspring. (That's what the Discovery channel told me) IIRC, they hold them in a pouch. Kinda like a kangaroo, but kinda not.

-GTB

Greg's right. There are quite a few innacurate "facts" in this thread, but I won't try to ruin the fun TOO much.

No, go ahead: better to know so as not to make a fool of myself, potentially. That's not to say, of course, that I wouldn't do so anyway...but I'm out to minimize the damage.

Originally posted by Toose
Did you know that the only documented cases of suicide in the animal kingdom belong to the scorpion who, when surrounded by a ring of fire will sting itself in the head... to the death.
dont lemmings kill themselves when there are too many of them?
-when scorpions fight it takes over two days

but the pyrmids thing is really iteresting. Espically with the obelisk, how the hell would they have accomplished it with the tools they had then?
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Originally posted by Greg The Bunny

Are you sure? Sea horses are one of the one of the few species where the males care for the offspring. (That's what the Discovery channel told me) IIRC, they hold them in a pouch. Kinda like a kangaroo, but kinda not.

-GTB
Doh, sorry about that, it was the whole "males getting pregnant" (This is a fact, I double checked!) thing that clouded my memory. My bad

These are definitely true though:

All clams start out as males; some decide to become females at some point in their lives

Ants don't sleep

Camels have three eyelids

Sharks apparently are the only animals that never get sick. As far as is known, they are immune to every known disease including cancer

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur

Originally posted by filmfreak
All clams start out as males; some decide to become females at some point in their lives
This is true with some humans as well.

Now With Moveable Parts
I've been told Daddy Long-Leg spiders are the most poisonous spider, but they don't have large enough mouths to actually do anything with it....anyone know this for fact?