Follywood: How Should It Work?

Tools    

Hi Guys,

I'm beginning some of the "brainstorming" and basic development for turning bigval's "Follywood" into an automated game here on the site, but I'm running into a lot of roadblocks. I like Sun's idea, which has a movie becoming more expensive as more people "buy" it, and less expensive as more people sell it back later. Anyone can buy a movie, and from then on, they receive the money it grosses. It's not like an auction; it's more like a stock market.

Now, one problem with that setup is that we'd have to decide how to price things. How much does it go up each time someone buys a "share"? How much should it principally cost? I assume the earnings are "split" amongst all the people who buy it? Do we have enough people interested to enter into such a system?

Let me know what you guys thinking. There IS always the possibility of two different versions, but one is ideal. So throw your ideas here...good, bad, etc. Right now, if I had to choose, I'd go with a stockmarket where you can buy a movie as many times as you want, and the earnings each weekend are devided amongst the people who own shares.

The problem with such a stock market idea is that its so complicated.

It would work if there were 10 or 12 players but I don't think there is that much interest. The rules at present are pretty straightforward and yet there are only 3 of us playing because people still can't figure out what we're doing.

I don't really get your idea right now. Use Harry Potter for an example.

Hmmm...I dunno. The HSX is much, much more complicated than what I'm thinking of, and it's remarkably popular. Not sure what you mean by not getting it: are you asking how it would work on a specific movie...like, an example?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Right now I'm agreeing with val on the fact that there's just not enough interest in getting this thing off the ground. If more people started playing along it could really take off.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Wow. Thanks a million T. I never heard of the Hollywood Stock Exchange until today. It's fantastic. Everything I ever wanted in a fantasy Hollywood game. And it teaches you how to play the stock market too. Wonderfully thought out.

There is no way Follywood can come close to emulating that site.

Any other forumers traders on HSX?

My portfolio is packed with a little bit of everything. Wouldn't pay for LOTR though. Outlandish price. At the moment, Behind Enemy Lines is costing me huge amounts of money but I'll get it back once it is released. I smell a sleeper. (fingers crossed)

ok all i get from this is some automated game and currently im think that you have abandoned the idea, well dont, it sounds good, i think you should go for it!