Mojo Filter's Top 10 Action Films

Tools    

I started this discussion about favorite actions movies in another forum and decided to post my Top 10 here.

Tell me what you think!

I'll be counting down the top 10, and will post one movie at a time...
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

10. THE EQUALIZER
(Directed by Antoine Fuqua; 2014)

Denzel Washington is one of the coolest and most prolific actors in the business. When he plays a badass character like Robert McCall, an ex-CIA black ops agent working as a hardware store employee, who is pretty damn good at using power tools and his hands (and a corkscrew) at killing a whole bunch of bad guys, you know you're in for a helluva awesome action flick. The movie delivers, and I don't think it would have had it been anybody other than Denzel in the lead role.

The Equalizer 2 will be released in 2018, and it's already on my must-see films for the year.

Most Badass Scene

Robert McCall, an ex-CIA black ops agent working as a hardware store employee, who is pretty damn good at using power tools and his hands (and a corkscrew) at killing a whole bunch of bad guys
I was interested to see which edit of the film this clip would be from – frustratingly the UK version of the film trims a shot from this sequence and a couple of others:

WARNING: spoilers below
It's the second upward thrust of the corkscrew.

The scene's so heavily infused with McCall's character that I feel we're losing something if we don't see that shot, especially given the line "Understand?", spoken in Russian, which makes the moment feel actively sadistic on McCall's part, despite his fairly cool demeanour amid the violence. The lip tremor is clever as it's implying some regret, probably because of the promise he made to his wife, but not for the killing itself.

I watched the movie at the theatre, and when he used the corkscrew in that scene, the entire audience gasped. Even though it was sadistic and graphic, I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in an action movie up until that point.

I watched the movie at the theatre, and when he used the corkscrew in that scene, the entire audience gasped. Even though it was sadistic and graphic, I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in an action movie up until that point.
It is the best scene I think – I can imagine the audience being shocked.

I love it when he drops the corkscrews .

What hooked me as early as the trailer was McCall's OCD issues, which I think was genius on the part of Denzel Washington.

Fast edit and bad choreography...
I don't like it when you can't see and understand what's happening, but I thought you could here. In fact it's interesting in some moments how much time it looks like McCall has, a bit like some footballers in front of goal .

9. SUDDEN IMPACT
(Directed by Clint Eastwood; 1983)

Dirty Harry is quite possibly the most iconic loner badass cop with cool one-liners and an ability to kill a whole bunch of bad guys without a scratch. The character has inspired the entire badass cop action genre. It was this fourth entry in the Dirty Harry series that made me somewhat of a fan of Clint Eastwood and Harry Calahan. It was also this installment that introduced the world to the most famous Eastwood movie quote "Go ahead...make my day".

Most Badass Scene

“I was cured, all right!”
I don't like it when you can't see and understand what's happening, but I thought you could here. In fact it's interesting in some moments how much time it looks like McCall has, a bit like some footballers in front of goal .
Yeah, it wasn't as bad as Liam Neeson's action films or Colombiana or Alex Cross... but still bad directed.

I think I'm going to enjoy this thread .

It was this installment that introduced the world to the most famous Clint Eastwood movie quote "Go ahead...make my day".

I wish Clint Eastwood had made a few more Harry Callahan films, I really do. I think it was one of those situations where doing them allowed him the freedom at a later date to make the films he wanted to.

I really like Sudden Impact and it's my third favourite after Dirty Harry and Magnum Force. The Enforcer has some good stuff too. The problem with The Dead Pool is that so much of it comes over like a rehash of Sudden Impact.

Yeah, it wasn't as bad as Liam Neeson's action films or Colombiana or Alex Cross... but still bad directed.
Just to be clear, I mean it's a positive thing that he looks like he has time. It doesn't suggest slowness, just confidence in his plan of action.

The truth is in here
I loved the first Dirty Harry movie. Probably the coolest Clint Eastwood has ever been in a movie! There are so many classic scenes and quotes, and the showdown near the end is unforgettable. Such a great use of sound with excellently staged shots. A great classic in the unfortunately shortlived "dirty cop" genre.

I should really try to get the other entries on DVD some time, so I can watch all of them.

8. LETHAL WEAPON
(Directed by Richard Donner; 1987)

This is the movie that revolutionized the funny buddy cop action movie genre in the late 80's. Mel Gibson and Danny Glover had excellent chemistry, and it was Mel who provided most of the badass action sequences in the film.

Most Badass Scene

I loved the first Dirty Harry movie. Probably the coolest Clint Eastwood has ever been in a movie! There are so many classic scenes and quotes, and the showdown near the end is unforgettable. Such a great use of sound with excellently staged shots.

I should really try to get the other entries on DVD some time, so I can watch all of them.
And with the combination of Andy Robinson as Scorpio and Lalo Schifrin's music it's immense. Apparently the female singer's in there to suggest that Scorpio is hearing voices as he identifies his victims. I liked Schifrin's music for the villains in Magnum Force too – that was very interesting:

As I recall there was a computer-like sound almost like the murderous cops were robotic, soulless. Perhaps he got the idea from their appearance, faces almost covered by the helmets; and even the acting, where there's a real coldness about them. It's incredible.

A great classic in the unfortunately shortlived "dirty cop" genre.
Well dirty in the sense of doing the jobs nobody else wants to or can. He says doesn't he "Every dirty job that comes along". Though while Harry is brutal, he's straight. Reminds me of Monty Python – "He was a cruel man but fair".

7. JOHN WICK
(Directed by Chad Stahelski and David Leitch; 2014)

Forget The Matrix movies. Forget Speed. John Wick is the quintessential Keanu Reeves action caper film with an overload of badass-ery. The character of John Wick has already become an iconic pop culture action figure in 4 short years thanks to his inclusion in the video game Fortnite, a sequel, and a potentially long franchise.

Most Badass Scene

6. KILL BILL VOL. 1 & 2
(Directed by Quentin Tarantino; 2003)

I always considered Kill Bill, Volumes 1 and 2, one complete film, instead of back-to-back sequels, which is why I lumped them together here. Who better than Quentin Tarantino to helm a kung-fu samurai sword action flick like this, with Uma Thurman as the badass Bride out to take revenge?

Most Badass Scene

5. ENTER THE DRAGON
(Directed by Robert Clouse; 1973)

Bruce Lee was one helluva badass. Enter The Dragon has become the ultimate martial arts action film and that is why it deserves a spot in my top 10.

Most Badass Scene

Of the newer ones, i liked Equalizer more than John Wick. Eagerly waiting for the part II, this year. Kill Bill series, although it it has a comic like story line, is my favorite when it comes to Hollywood.

Of the newer ones, i liked Equalizer more than John Wick. Eagerly waiting for the part II, this year. Kill Bill series, although it it has a comic like story line, is my favorite when it comes to Hollywood.
Same here. I hope part 2 is just good or better.
I did not like John Wick 2 to be honest. I thought it could have been much more entertaining. Part 3 will happen for sure and I'm hoping it will be kickass.