The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Seen neither, heard of neither - I'm afraid that's going to happen to me a lot during this countdown, but in the end the list will work for me as a de facto watchlist and I'll be getting around to seeing all of these films. Never liked film noir before but now that's been completely turned around.

Films seen : 0/2

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Seen neither, heard of neither - I'm afraid that's going to happen to me a lot during this countdown, but in the end the list will work for me as a de facto watchlist and I'll be getting around to seeing all of these films. Never liked film noir before but now that's been completely turned around.

Films seen : 0/2

Good morning, PHOENIX74!

I forgot the opening line.
I imagine PHOENIX secretly watching all us American posters as we sleep.

Edit - does this mean everyone on MoFo secretly watches me as I sleep?

Same! I love noir, but my mind just lumps it all together and it's really hard to keep films straight. I also have a feeling there are going to be a lot of films on this Countdown that I've actually seen but just don't remember.

Yeah, kind of a similar situation, except I find myself more loving the idea of noir films while only actually enjoying a lot of the actual films. Like, I don't have TCM, but I could imagine turning on Noir Alley, which a number of people on this forum speak highly of, and probably enjoy it as comfort food. But for top 25 list, I'd kind of wanted films that stood out a little bit more to me than that.

Haven't seen either. Don't think I had heard of Le Corbeau, but it's Clouzot, so I should at least keep it in mind.

Sorry, Wrong Number was a title I was familiar with (even if I didn't know what the plot was) and was on my watchlist for this, but didn't manage to get around to it.

I've not seen Le Corbeau. I have seen Sorry, Wrong Number but it's been forever and a day since. But it still resonates with me. Both Lancaster and especially Stanwyck were so fine in that film and the end is devastating and so very, very noir.

Great start and I'll echo with the congrats on the great look of the reveals with the film strips in black and white of course!

Great start to the countdown folks. No one pointers from me but I have seen Black Widow, I Wake Up Screaming, Quicksand and They Drive By Night. The latter I'm surprised didn't get more votes. I have seen the 1938 Swedish version of A Woman's Face with Ingrid Bergman, so will need to check out the Joan Crawford one and the rest of these fine looking films. Great choices.

Sorry, Wrong Number was my #16, owing to a fair degree of the so-called recency bias I think. It's been a film I've wanted to see for ages and went into watching it with a lot of enthusiasm. The film has its flaws and can be confusing at first until you get a handle on the phone conversations apparently taking place in real time, and the multiple layers of flashbacks that build up the story of what's unfolding. It came from a successful radio play so it's easy to understand how it would be very effective in that original medium. Great looking production and whilst all the performances are good it's Barbara Stanwyck that really carries the film - overacting to an extent but very well suited to the character. And holy blazes that ending! I'm still coming down from it. In 1948 it must have been shocking.

Haven't seen Le Corbeau but it looks like a classic. Nice job with the graphics also, CR.

Sorry, Wrong Number was my #16, owing to a fair degree of the so-called recency bias I think. It's been a film I've wanted to see for ages and went into watching it with a lot of enthusiasm. The film has its flaws and can be confusing at first until you get a handle on the phone conversations apparently taking place in real time, and the multiple layers of flashbacks that build up the story of what's unfolding. It came from a successful radio play so it's easy to understand how it would be very effective in that original medium. Great looking production and whilst all the performances are good it's Barbara Stanwyck that really carries the film - overacting to an extent but very well suited to the character. And holy blazes that ending! I'm still coming down from it. In 1948 it must have been shocking.

Sorry, Wrong Number was my #15, so we're the two who put it on the list! The radio play is great, have you ever heard it?

I agree that the reveal looks great, and I'm really impressed with the fast turnaround time! Thank you for doing this!!

Sorry, Wrong Number was my #15, so we're the two who put it on the list! The radio play is great, have you ever heard it?
Right on! Never heard the radio play, but based on your recommendation I shall seek it out. Thanks!

Right on! Never heard the radio play, but based on your recommendation I shall seek it out. Thanks!

I hope you enjoy it!

#98 Panic in the Streets (1950)

Director: Elia Kazan
Production: Twentieth Century Fox
Cast: Richard Widmark, Barbara Bel Geddes, Jack Palance
22 Points, 2 Lists

'A doctor and a policeman in New Orleans have only 48 hours to locate a killer infected with pneumonic plague.'

#97 Dangerous Crossing (1953)

Director: Joseph M. Newman
Production: Twentieth Century Fox
Cast: Jeanne Crain, Michael Rennie, Max Showalter
23 Points, 2 Lists

'When a beautiful bride boards an ocean liner with her new husband, he goes into hiding, and she becomes the target of a murder conspiracy.'

Seen both, neither made my list. Panic in the Streets was pretty good and I rated it a 7/10. Dangerous Crossing was somewhat interesting and I felt that it had some effective moments, but not everything worked. I rated it a 6/10.

Seen: 4/4

Panic in the Streets was okay, outside of the plot I don't remember much as I was in the process of knocking out entries on TSPDT. I do like Kazan. First time hearing of the other, some homework for today.

Two more donuts for me. I don't think I had even heard of Dangerous Crossing.

1 for 2 again. Watched Panic In The Streets for the list. I liked it well enough but wasn’t close to making my list. Loved the family stuff in the movie the most.