Trailers Kill Movies

Tools    

I have decided not to watch trailers anymore, because they reveal too much of movies, or sometimes give a completely wrong idea about the movie. If it is a thriller, they reveal the first few twists, so you are bored during the first act. If it is a comedy, all the best jokes and gags are in the trailer, so there is little to laugh at. Then, if it is an arthouse movie with some humor to it, we are shown all the jokes, or drama with some action scenes, we see action scenes, and so on.
And another thing, why do trailers always have to follow the same pattern? Drama trailers have people hugging in slow-motion with sounds of guitar, thriller trailers have sentences like "He seemed to have it all", trailers of epic and action movies have sentences like "It has begun", followed by always the same epic music, and comedy trailers have that irritating quick camera movement.
Bottom line is, if you want to enjoy a movie, watch teasers if you have to, but try to avoid trailers.

Lost in never never land
I have to agree with that statement, for most trailers it does kill the film. There are some: 300, Hot Fuzz, Superbad, and 1-18-08 that definitely did a good job with their trailers, but there too many trailers, such as When a Stranger Calls that reveal their major plot twist, or the majority of important parts of the film. I know that there are many comedy films, such as The Brothers Solomon that look like they reveal every single joke in the film in the trailer.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Movie Forums Critic
i like to watch trailers coz it gives me an idea bout the movie...

Lost in never never land
i like to watch trailers coz it gives me an idea bout the movie...

I like them if they give you an idea about the film, but what I have noticed is that too often they don't just give you an idea about the film, they tell the whole thing in the trailer. If Hollywood would be willing to just wet my appitite with a trailer, such as the 1-18-08 trailer, then I would like all trailers, but it frustrates me at times when there is a film that I think would be interesting and I go to watch the trailer and I end up knowing all the details and twists of the film.

Originally Posted by emir
And another thing, why do trailers always have to follow the same pattern?...Bottom line is, if you want to enjoy a movie, watch teasers if you have to, but try to avoid trailers.
There's an art to cutting an effective trailer, and it seems to be a lost art. That being said, I think most of your complaint can be addressed to a larger underlying problem: the movies themselves suck. You say the trailers seem to follow a tired and obvious formula as if the plots and direction for flicks like Wild Hogs, Shooter, Fracture, Vacancy, Death Sentence etc. don't. They are not somehow really clever, interesting, well-made variations on themes. They are tired, dull and predictible. That the trailers don't hide this is somewhere along the lines of putting lipstick on a pig. If a comedy only has five laughs in it and all of them are in the trailer, you should be pissed that the movie only has five frippin' funny moments in it, not that they were all in the trailer.

Dig?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think a recent trailer that simply killed the movie above any other trailer I have seen recently was Live Free or Die Hard. And because of that, I have yet to see the movie...

Originally Posted by Prometheus
I think a recent trailer that simply killed the movie above any other trailer I have seen recently was Live Free or Die Hard. And because of that, I have yet to see the movie...
This is back to my point: Live Free or Die Hard is a piece of crap. The trailer is bad, but the actual movie itself is worse.

I remember in the bourne ultimatum while bourne was in that guys office this guy sitting behind me kept laughing constantly and repeating what he saw in the trailer "if you were in your office we'd be speaking face-to-face" before it happened. He thought he was sooooo good just because he remembered the trailer. I felt like belting the **** out of him seriously what a fkn loser. Does he think he's the only guy out there to see the trailer?

fbi
I dont mind trailers but since superman returns, i have been very sceptical about them.
The trailer for returns was awesome as i and everyone acknowledges. Williams inspiring score, reeve lookalike and groundbreaking cgi. Cant go wrong can we?

But my oh my.......i was wrong and thought superman returns was the biggest turkey of 2006. Bad acting from routh, useless directing from singer and a pointless horrible re write of the original donner movie.

I can't really fault anyone for giving up trailers. As some of you have said, they too often reveal more than is necessary, and taint the enjoyment of viewing the film.

I partially agree with Holden, as well; trailers which spoil the movie are disproportionately likely to be for mediocre (or worse) films. I wouldn't say that's always the case, however, and one can't help but wonder if some of the mediocre films would be a little less mediocre if they hadn't had their best scenes previewed for their audiences. After all, if that's all they have, they can't really afford to lose it.

There are some films, however, which I'm going to be just too excited about to see completely fresh. I'm going to look at every trailer and set sot from The Dark Knight that I can get my hands on. And obviously I'm stuck watching whatever they throw up on the screen in front of me. Other than that, though, I think watching fewer trailers is a pretty sensible idea.