Shakespeare

Tools    

Rock God
hell, no. freakin teeny-bopper movies. they're raping shakespeare just to sell tiger beat. screw hollywood.

Give me a break. This is not a teeny-bopper movie at all. It's got some fine actors, and what looks like a very good director. I guess you just assume that it's bad, because it has young actors, eh?

Rock God
i will not give you a break seriously, though, this type of crap has gone on forever, and it's always the same. they might be good like "decent" good, but they're not shakespeare good. you have to know where you stand.

It'll never be like the original, because it's not the original -- but in some ways, it could be better. It could reach new audiences. In short: this is not another DiCaprio Romeo and Juliet type of thing...this looks better, so I'm gonna give it a chance, even though I usually hate these types of things.

My favorite Shakespeare play, and thus also my favorite movie.

is

Julius Caesar

The movie version stars Charlton Heston and is really very good.

I don't think this play gets as much attention as it deserves. If you read it you will notice alot of modern day quotes and sayings are actually from this play.

[Edited by aspen on 08-21-2001]

umm, which Julius Caesar film are you watching b/c the real one, the classic one (if one could consider it that) doesn't have Charlton Heston in it. Marlon Brano yes, Heston, ::cough:: silencer::cough::, no.

And, I want to see O, I admit, for Josh Hartnett. Is there any other reason to go? Must it be good? No. Josh LOOKS good, so thus it is good. Plus, he's evil and conniving, which just adds to the mystery. Don't you agree, girls?
But, basically it looks like a rip. And who wants the stupidest character from O Brother...to direct a Shakes?

Whatever.

The original Julius Caesar with Brando is lame, lame, lame. Although, he does hella well with that "...with these butchers" bit.

I liked Romeo and Juliet with DiCaprio. I give it props for the balls it took to reimagine the visuals like that, even if the acting was sub-par.

O looks corny. But I agree that Josh Harnett is a handsome fellow.

NO character from O Brother was stupid. Delmar was funny, I thought. Tim Blake Nelson did a fabulous job playing his role there, so I figure he knows a little something about acting/movies. As such, I'm going to highly consider seeing O. Oh, and he did a fine job on "He's in the Jailhouse Now."

Rock God
now i'm rereading macbeth. i love this play so much. it's by far shakespeare's darkest, most violent play. not only that, it explores the effects of human evil on someone who will eventually come into power. damn, it's a good play. did anybody else read macbeth? although it's not my favorite (othello is) it's one of shakespeare's better plays. in fact, the only shakespeare i never got into that much were the comedies. does anybody have any recommendations?

I like Richad III. My horsie, my horsie! my kingdom for a horsie!

MovieForums Extra
We did Macbeth for our high school diploma (like your SAT's)...

I agree with you, Macbeth is one of my favourites. Love how it shows the dark side of human nature, how everything civlized is just a thin layer on the surface, and that everyone has a bit of Macbeth underneath

Classic!

Rock God
if that's a theme that you find to be interesting, you MUST read lord of the flies by golding. probably the best fiction book relating to that particular topic. but back to macbeth.... i love this play. it still gives me chills.

Rock God
can anyone recommend a good shakespearean comedy to check out? i haven't really read them that much.

MovieForums Extra
Not sure about a comedy, but I saw a parody in the theatre called "The Complete Works of Shakespeare - Abridged", which had all 37 of his plays in 90 minuter... ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!! I went to see it twice, it's really huge around the world, you might have heard of it! I'd DEFINITELY reccomend it!!

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by BrodieMan
now i'm rereading macbeth. i love this play so much. it's by far shakespeare's darkest, most violent play. not only that, it explores the effects of human evil on someone who will eventually come into power. damn, it's a good play. did anybody else read macbeth? although it's not my favorite (othello is) it's one of shakespeare's better plays. in fact, the only shakespeare i never got into that much were the comedies. does anybody have any recommendations?
Hey BrodieMan-Keeps turning out that we like the same stuff.CREEPY.Anyhoo,I've got some comedies by the man for ya:Two Gentelmen of Verona,A Midsummer Night's Dream(my fav)and A Comedy of Errors.

Rock God
wow, you like shakespeare, too? that rules. thanks for your recommendations, i'm always looking for new stuff to read. just out of curiosity, what did you take as major in college, i mean if you went? it's cool if you didn't, i'm just wondering.

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm an English major with a minor in drama.When I finish getting my credentials,I'll teach both highschool English and two periods of drama.I'm the president of my college's movies&plays appreciation society,which basically means a bunch of us gather together to watch movies and plays and then debate over their meanings well into the night.What are your interests?

Rock God
god, that's awesome. i plan on majoring in either lit or history. i'm interested in a lot of things, mostly movies, music, and literature. i would love to be in a movie discussion group, that sounds so awesome. if you have yahoo or aol im, let me know your sn. we should chat sometime. it would be cool.

Now With Moveable Parts
sounds good BrodieMan.I have Yahoo,my user name when I sign in is the same here...sadesdrk.I don't know a lot about the whole computer thing so tell me what to do to chat with you,and we can do that some time.