Is my dad too hard on movies?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Ah, so it's hereditary?
I don't think it's hereditary so much as growing up, watching movies with him. I'm I too hard on movies? Cause I actually like Die Hard and The Dark Knight. Another example is 3:10 to Yuma (2007), where he said it was frustrating to watch, cause

SPOILER

Why didn't Ben Wade's gang just ride on ahead and destroy the train tracks, thus keeping the 3:10 train to Yuma from ever arriving, for the good guys to get to in the first place?

He also didn't understand why they kept letting Ben Wade escape, by having him handcuffed in front, instead of cuffed behind his back. That one maybe he has a point?

Judging by what he said about Die Hard, he'd probably get pissed that Somerset doesn't go after the library records sooner or that they don't actually get to shoot John Doe at his apartment block or something. Blade Runner would not fare any better because of how useless Deckard is at fighting the replicants.
He never saw Blade Runner he said, or at least that he can remember. Seven though, is one of my favorite movies, and has no problems with that one it seems.

If his big complaint about Die Hard was McClane not shooting a guy straight away, then he's certainly not going to like Deckard not shooting any of the replicants straight away.
Well another example is Breakdown (1997), where in the movie

SPOILER

Kurt Russell's character, follows the bad guys back to one of the kidnapper's farm houses, where he finds that his wife is locked in a cellar, and they are waiting for her to suffocate to death. Russel sneaks into the bad guys house with a gun, and forces them to go to the cellar, and unlock the door, since he couldn't get it unlocked, prior.

After his wife is freed, he then forces the villains at gunpoint to all get in the cellar, and then he locks them in. My dad said this was stupid cause the villains still have an accomplice that is hiding out on the property, and he will just come and free them, and they will go after Russell and his wife later. My dad said that after Russell got his wife back, instead of forcing them to all go into the cellar and lock it, he should have just shot them all.

So it took him completely out of the movie from that point and he hated it.

Welcome to the human race...
He never saw Blade Runner he said, or at least that he can remember. Seven though, is one of my favorite movies, and has no problems with that one it seems.
Considering how your dad really seems to hate it when the heroes don't gun down the unarmed villains they've taken prisoner, he probably really likes that that is exactly how Se7en ends.

Well another example is Breakdown (1997), where in the movie

SPOILER

Kurt Russell's character, follows the bad guys back to one of the kidnapper's farm houses, where he finds that his wife is locked in a cellar, and they are waiting for her to suffocate to death. Russel sneaks into the bad guys house with a gun, and forces them to go to the cellar, and unlock the door, since he couldn't get it unlocked, prior.

After his wife is freed, he then forces the villains at gunpoint to all get in the cellar, and then he locks them in. My dad said this was stupid cause the villains still have an accomplice that is hiding out on the property, and he will just come and free them, and they will go after Russell and his wife later. My dad said that after Russell got his wife back, instead of forcing them to all go into the cellar and lock it, he should have just shot them all.

So it took him completely out of the movie from that point and he hated it.
Case in point - why on Earth should we expect Russell's character, who isn't a cop but an ordinary guy trying to make his way out of a traumatic situation, to straight-up kill all these unarmed prisoners? Hell, I'd even make the case that it's a waste of bullets that could be used on the guy who's still on the loose.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

He also said that the police and Batman were stupid, making several mistakes, such as Batman choosing to fire bullets through windows while riding his motorbike, when he could have just used those bullets to take out Joker's tires in the first place.
Ask your dad how many times he has successfully shot out someone's tyres when he was chasing them at full speed on a motorcycle. That'll stump him.

But in answer to your question, I think it's beautiful that your dad has such strong genes. You two should watch movies together more often.

Considering how your dad really seems to hate it when the heroes don't gun down the unarmed villains they've taken prisoner, he probably really likes that that is exactly how Se7en ends.

Case in point - why on Earth should we expect Russell's character, who isn't a cop but an ordinary guy trying to make his way out of a traumatic situation, to straight-up kill all these unarmed prisoners? Hell, I'd even make the case that it's a waste of bullets that could be used on the guy who's still on the loose.
Sorry I worded it wrong, when I said Seven is one my favorite movies. What I meant was, Seven is one of HIS favorite movies. I like it too though.

Well my dad said he hates it when the hero has to walk away from the prisoner knowing that the prisoner will just come get him later. Like in Breakdown for example, by walking away from the men after locking them in the cellar, he thought it was a stupid idea of the hero, cause then the bad guy who got away, comes back and frees them, and they go after the hero again, like he predicted.

He hates when the hero creates risks for themselves like that. He also hates the police in The Dark Knight and thought they were stupid, such as Gordon having a chance to shoot The Joker, and not taking it, when the Joker puts a knife to Batman's throat. This was Gordon's chance to shoot the Joker and have a reason for doing so (saving Batman), and therefore, The Joker would no longer be a threat and would have caused further harm.

He also thought it was dumb, how when The Joker took another cop hostage, that the other cops willingly gave him a cellphone, even though the police darn well know phones can set off bombs; instead of just waiting for more cops to arrive at the station to help re-capture The Joker or shoot him.

But I think the Harvey Dent thing was the icing on the cake for him as he said no guy would behave like that after the man who murdered your fiance, and almost killed you, would come into your hospital room with a gun, and that if he gave you the gun, you would shoot him and not flip a coin about it.

Yeah, I figured you meant him instead of yourself - that being said, he didn't hate it when John Doe doesn't shoot Mills in the alleyway halfway through the film?

As for all these examples, I figure there are explanations and that it's a matter of understanding the characters' choices instead of being overly concerned that they made the "wrong" choice (and there is a common theme of how he thinks the villains should just be shot as soon as possible). It's worth noting that the Joker's plot at this point in the film doesn't hinge on him being involved since he's teamed up with the local gangsters/corrupt cops to capture Harvey and Rachel anyway - assuming he did get killed instead of captured, Harvey and Rachel still would've been blown up since Joker couldn't give Batman the addresses to save either of them. That's why Joker is able to convince Harvey not to just kill him straight away - because he's "a dog chasing a car" and the plan wouldn't have worked without the mobsters/cops keeping things moving while the Joker was in jail, hence why Harvey goes after them after letting the Joker go. It's like hating Return of the Jedi because Luke doesn't kill Vader at the end - the plot and characters have been developed in specific ways so that they make sense and that the obvious solution is not necessarily the right solution.

Well back when my dad showed me Seven, if I remember the conversation correct, I asked why didn't John Doe shoot Mills, and my Dad said cause Doe has thought of involving Mills in his plan and I need to watch the rest to find out. So he believed that Doe had a reason for letting Mills live for part of his plan.

And yeah your explanation of things makes sense, the hero doesn't always have to make the most cautious choice per say. I thought that maybe in Breakdown he could have at least shot the guys in the legs when I watched it maybe, to keep them from coming back but not sure if I want to condemn the whole movie for it not happening. I still like The Dark Knight and Die Hard and 3:10 to Yuma.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ask your dad how many times he has successfully shot out someone's tyres when he was chasing them at full speed on a motorcycle. That'll stump him.

But in answer to your question, I think it's beautiful that your dad has such strong genes. You two should watch movies together more often.
But Dani, his dad ain't BATMAN!!!?!?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Well if Batman is willing to launch grenades at 10 parked cars that are in his way, which could have possibly innocent people in them, is it too much to ask that he fires some of his ammo at the Joker's truck? Maybe it was a reasonable argument.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
But Dani, his dad ain't BATMAN!!!?!?

Yeah but Batman couldnt shoot 'em either.

Pony's relationship with his/her Dad reminds me of the excitable conversations my old man and I used to have. The good ole days.

This might just do nobody any good.
Batman watched a movie with his dad once...

... once.

My dad almost always hates every movie he watches, cause he always finds plot holes and it bothers him.
Wondering why he tortures himself watching movies he hates.

Wondering why he tortures himself watching movies he hates.
Well he doesn't know he hates them until after he sees them.

Well back when my dad showed me Seven, if I remember the conversation correct, I asked why didn't John Doe shoot Mills, and my Dad said cause Doe has thought of involving Mills in his plan and I need to watch the rest to find out. So he believed that Doe had a reason for letting Mills live for part of his plan.

And yeah your explanation of things makes sense, the hero doesn't always have to make the most cautious choice per say. I thought that maybe in Breakdown he could have at least shot the guys in the legs when I watched it maybe, to keep them from coming back but not sure if I want to condemn the whole movie for it not happening. I still like The Dark Knight and Die Hard and 3:10 to Yuma.
That's true, though I suppose in that case it's very clearly explained in a way that those other examples aren't so maybe that makes it an exception to him.

Sounds like he prefers all movies end after about 8 minutes. As soon as we see the bad guy BLAM! Fin...

Well he said that all the writers have to do is write it so the hero doesn't have a chance to shoot the villain, and doesn't it. All they have to do is write it so they don't have a chance to in the first place, he said.

Oh he would definitely hate that one lol. But it's not just the hero not shooting or incapicating the villain when he has chances to, he is bothered by other plot holes too.

Like we were watching Die Hard 2, and he kept saying why didn't the planes just land at other airports, and I suppose he had a point there.