Noirvember 2023 - Rate the last noir you watched

Tools    

The Dark Mirror (1946) Olivia de Havilland is fantastic in a dual role as twin sisters,one of whom may be a murderer. The film was entertaining and kept me interested.

Hot Cars (1956)

Pretty excited about this one. Interesting subject, with neat on location filming in Santa Monica Ca. Including scenes at two real car lots and the climax at the Ocean Park Pier amusement center. Loved the real footage of two guys fighting on the roller coaster. It's not rear screen projection either, they actually took a camera on the roller coaster and told the two guys to slug it out, looks dangerous for the actors. The noir generates a lot of pathos for a honest family man who ends up selling hot cars for an organized crime ring to get enough money to save his sick son. Being as this is mid 50s this noir is done in a more straight up realistic manner. Loved the hot cars and the hot chick. Jazz score was light but well used when needed. Good story.
++

That's a nice video quality print on YouTube, clocks in at just 1 hour.
I don't recall ever seeing this one, CR. I'll have to look it up. A lot of these type "B" pictures were meant to be shown as double features with another movie, due to their short lengths and no-name stars. But they made some good ones nonetheless.

I don't recall ever seeing this one, CR. I'll have to look it up. A lot of these type "B" pictures were meant to be shown as double features with another movie, due to their short lengths and no-name stars. But they made some good ones nonetheless.
I hope you do give it a watch the copy on YouTube is surprisingly really good video quality.

Hot Cars (1956) Someone on this site mentioned this movie a while back (although I can't remember who it was or when ) and I decided to check it out. A nifty little noir that does a lot in a short time. Solid performances and an interesting story. Worth watching for the roller coaster fight.
Oh cool! Someone else seen it. I watched that roller coaster fight twice to see if it was rear projection but damn they really stuck a camera on a roller coaster car and had these two car fighting. Dangerous!

The Dark Mirror (1946) Olivia de Havilland is fantastic in a dual role as twin sisters,one of whom may be a murderer. The film was entertaining and kept me interested.
I seen that last Noirvember and wrote about it here https://www.movieforums.com/communit...88#post2344988

Appointment with a Shadow (1957) Watched on Youtube. George Nader is very good as an alcoholic reporter who gets the chance at a comeback story of the arrest of a well known criminal, only to discover there is more to the story than meets the eye and he finds himself in a dangerous position. An interesting, fast paced film noir gem.

I Want To Live (1958) Susan Hayward is excellent in an Oscar winning role in this crime drama/film noir, directed by Robert Wise.

I Want To Live (1958) Susan Hayward is excellent in an Oscar winning role in this crime drama/film noir, directed by Robert Wise.
I recently watched every film Susan Hayward made and I Want to Live really made an impact, especially that very last scene, OMG. I considered that one for the Noir HoF. I also liked her noir Deadline at Dawn (1946) screenplay by Clifford Odets. If that name sounds familiar he also wrote Sweet Smell of Success and the spoken dialogue in both movies have a similar flow.

I recently watched every film Susan Hayward made and I Want to Live really made an impact, especially that very last scene, OMG. I considered that one for the Noir HoF. I also liked her noir Deadline at Dawn (1946) screenplay by Clifford Odets. If that name sounds familiar he also wrote Sweet Smell of Success and the spoken dialogue in both movies have a similar flow.
I suppose that I Want To Live is a noir, but I never think of it as being one. To me it's more of a biographical prison drama. But like you say, what an impact that film made.

Believe it or not I took a date to that film soon after it came out, not knowing anything about it. We both more or less crawled out of the theater after it was over. Very depressing. Hayward's earth shaking performance at the end was very difficult to endure. I really liked the jazz score with Gerry Mulligan and Art Farmer.

Despite the film's point of view, evidently Barbara Graham really was a murderess.

I suppose that I Want To Live is a noir, but I never think of it as being one. To me it's more of a biographical prison drama. But like you say, what an impact that film made.

Believe it or not I took a date to that film soon after it came out, not knowing anything about it. We both more or less crawled out of the theater after it was over. Very depressing. Hayward's earth shaking performance at the end was very difficult to endure. I really liked the jazz score with Gerry Mulligan and Art Farmer.

Despite the film's point of view, evidently Barbara Graham really was a murderess.
Wow, you took a date to I Want to Live with that ending...I have to ask, how did the rest of the date go?

Agreed I Want To Live isn't fully noir but like you said Susan Hayward's performance in the last part of the movie makes it very memorable. I heard that about Barbara Graham too. Now there's a movie that could be remade with more accuracy about the crime itself and might be popular.

Death of a Cyclist (1955) Good performances in this well written film. I really liked the cinematography too. Watched on Criterion Channel.

Gotta find me more 60 minute or so noirs. That way I can squeeze more in. Anybody seen any good ones?
Film noir 70 minutes or less that I would recommend:

Detour (1945)
Dillinger (1945)
Escape in the Fog (1945)
Inner Sanctum (1948)
My Name Is Julia Ross (1945)
Night Editor (1946)
Shock (1946)

Detour (1945)
Dillinger (1945)
Escape in the Fog (1945)
Inner Sanctum (1948)
Night Editor (1946)
Shock (1946)
Perfect! thanks

Detour (1945)
Dillinger (1945)
Escape in the Fog (1945)
Inner Sanctum (1948)
Night Editor (1946)
Shock (1946)
I've only seen Detour, which is very good.

Wow, you took a date to I Want to Live with that ending...I have to ask, how did the rest of the date go?

Agreed I Want To Live isn't fully noir but like you said Susan Hayward's performance in the last part of the movie makes it very memorable. I heard that about Barbara Graham too. Now there's a movie that could be remade with more accuracy about the crime itself and might be popular.
Ha! Well, it went pretty good, considering everything. The depression from the film pretty quickly wore off. We got back to her parent's house, put on some great Nat "King" Cole mood music, and got to petting. Too young for sex..

But somehow we never had a second date. I'll have to blame Susan Hayward for that..

Sudden Fear 1952 Joan Crawford is excellent in this entertaining and suspenseful film noir. Watched on Tubi.
Is that the one with Jack Palance?

Sudden Fear 1952 Joan Crawford is excellent in this entertaining and suspenseful film noir. Watched on Tubi.
That's a good noir. I watched that back when I was watching all of Gloria Grahame's filmography.