The De2cent Coming Soon Under Neil Marshall's Watch

Although he's not exactly directing and he's not exactly writing, filmmaker Neil Marshall (who directed The Descent and the upcoming Doomsday) does have an involvement in the sequel being created titled The De2cent. Neil discussed his remote involvement over the weekend while promoting Doomsday at Comic-Con, and did confirm that it indeed was in the works.
From an article over at ShockTillYouDrop.com, Marshall says "I've got a few story ideas, they've got a few story ideas and we're just throwing them into the mix." Although nothing is confirmed officially and the film is still quite a ways off (it doesn't even really have a script yet), Marshall did comment briefly on the story: it might focus on the (spoiler) lone surviving character's story - Shauna Macdonald, Sarah in the movie. "She wants to continue the journey a bit more. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one way to take her character, she has to die. If we didn't kill her at the end of the first film, we have to kill her at the end of the second one."
However, don't be fooled by that story, as it's just an idea and Marshall still doesn't know exactly what will happen. The film is still a very far ways off.