Slasher Hall of Fame

Tools    

I'm sorry you and others are unhappy with the way the Sci-Fi Hall of Fame is being run. If I would have said, no horror-sci fi, no anime, no foreign language...the **** would have hit the fan! I didn't want to run it in the first place, I even asked for volunteers, but no one wanted to run it. This has been stressful for me. I tried to make it as open to all MoFos as possible and still I get ****.
I use smileys when I make my posts, and still people take me too serious. I say those things to show why it had too much horror, etc . . . The more specific Hall of Fame threads are, the more they will avoid this problem. The more specific they are, the better chance we all have of wanting to watch most, if not all the movies nominated. There's no reason to get stressed, or mad. This is no different than when people say bad things about movies we each nominate. Everything around here is going to receive an opinion, or more. Besides, this is a new idea, making them specific. Justin just came up with it, and is the first to test drive it. It just so happens, it's really working out, and will probably now be used more times than not. You had no way of knowing that. You guys started your threads at pretty much the same time. Actually, I believe you started your's first. I am not "blaming" you. I am simply saying my opinion on what type of thread works better.

Let the night air cool you off
Some thoughts ...

Christmas Evil - Not really sure what to think of this. It was really slow, which isn't normally a bad thing, but here it gave the whole thing an odd feeling. I ended up losing focus through the middle and don't remember much from then on (even though I watched it yesterday). So, just didn't make too much of an impression on me. I will possibly re-watch it at some stage..
Did you ever give this another watch?

I do agree about the movie having an odd feeling, but it never felt like a pacing issue to me. It just literally is a very odd film. I tend to love movies that are outside the norm, for better or worse, the experiences of these types of films becomes almost more important than content. I know that might not be the most intelligent way to digest these movies, but I can't help myself. With that said, I don't think Christmas Evil lacks the content to be a truly impressionable film. There's something in there that could be nearly fetishistic or perhaps even a bizarre allegory on gender identity. There's also a humorous side to it that adds an even darker edge, because even if it's nearly cartoonish in it's depiction, there are people like this that exist. If not in this form, then in another. Our guy here is not cartoonish in the same way as Jason Voorhees, or Uber-Jason (,) but if Travis Bickle had a Santa Claus fetish. If you haven't given it a rewatch, I hope you still decide to do so before voting. If not, I feel like you might be doing yourself a disservice. And of course the film itself a disservice, but I am biased. Just defending my darling here.

I can't promise I'll rewatch it before this is done. I actually seldom rewatch films - everytime I think about it I also think of the 20000 or so films I haven't seen that might be great

It's interesting that I generally appreciate atmosphere in films and it being uncomfortable or odd is usually a good thing but in slasher movies I tend to prefer them to be simply violent and preferably amusing. I have no idea why that is.

I have recently watched Alice Sweet Alice and Hatchet and found the atmosphere in ASA didn't work for me whilst I really enjoyed Hatchet. Considering the type of films I usually prefer this doesn't really make sense .

Oh well ...

Anyone should be able to come in here and talk about whatever slasher film they want, even if they're not one of the people who nominated a movie. Like if Sexy wants to come in and talk about a movie he thinks got left out, he should be able to. Or if Captain Spaulding wants to come in and give his thoughts on slashers, he should be able to too.
Yo Nostro.. best thing about Freddy's Dead... is this!

I think GB is more sick and twisted than MovieGal.
Nah GBG is mellow... I enjoy those films that she does.. I just dont watch them much anymore...

Kate and Leopold is one of my favorites as is Pride and Prejudice...

GBG is cool... we are only a year apart and do share things in common...

I dont need another imitator around here.. I already have one

In sleep he sang to me
In dreams he came
That voice which calls to me and speaks my name
**** that! Gerard Butler can sing!!

I'm going to start calling glorious and gory horror films gorious. Cause I'm a dork.
Yeah well Im Gore-geous... so bite me!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Nah GBG is mellow... I enjoy those films that she does.. I just dont watch them much anymore...

Kate and Leopold is one of my favorites as is Pride and Prejudice...

GBG is cool... we are only a year apart and do share things in common...

I dont need another imitator around here.. I already have one

I love Kate and Leopold too. I think Hugh Jackman is great in everything he does.

I have (had) a 2-disc set of the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth, but I loaned it to my Mom and I haven't gotten it back yet. (I think she's keeping it. )

I love Kate and Leopold too. I think Hugh Jackman is great in everything he does.

I have (had) a 2-disc set of the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth, but I loaned it to my Mom and I haven't gotten it back yet. (I think she's keeping it. )
I prefer the Keira Knightly and Matthew MacFayden version.. its actually in my top 6 English speaking... I would say top 5... but my #1 spot is a tie between to UK films...

**** that! Gerard Butler can sing!!

A while back, YouTube had a version of the Gerard Butler movie Phantom of the Opera, but with the London soundtrack with Michael Crawford over it instead of the movie's soundtrack. It was amazing, but unfortunately it got removed.

Master of My Domain
I disliked the idea of the 6th Hall of Fame being split into multiple threads, and this is why. It's impossible to have all these fun debates and conversations that go into so many levels of off-topicness. Just finished reading through all the mess. You guys are hilarious.

Oh and I agree that Citizen and GBG should create their own thread. It should be called "Citizen and GBG discuss rom-com, non-foreign happy films and other repulsive rainbow and pot of gold at the end stuff"

I disliked the idea of the 6th Hall of Fame being split into multiple threads, and this is why. It's impossible to have all these fun debates and conversations that go into so many levels of off-topicness. Just finished reading through all the mess. You guys are hilarious.

Oh and I agree that Citizen and GBG should create their own thread. It should be called "Citizen and GBG discuss rom-com, non-foreign happy films and other repulsive rainbow and pot of gold at the end stuff"
awww Gats, be nice to GBG... or I will have to cut you!

I think Citizen watches some horror movies, just not the slasher type.

I'm the one who likes happy endings.

I started Jason X last night but fell asleep after 20 minutes(I was just too tired). I'll start it over and finish tonight leaving me with Jeepers Creepers and Happy Birthday to Me, the latter is coming to me next weekend.

I started Jason X last night but fell asleep after 20 minutes(I was just too tired). I'll start it over and finish tonight leaving me with Jeepers Creepers and Happy Birthday to Me, the latter is coming to me next weekend.
I did that with Halloween too... about 10 minutes into the film..

ANOES did the same thing to.. but Swan blamed it on Freddy.. lol

Christmas Evil (1980)

An odd one indeed. I don't really consider it horror. For a slasher, I felt it wasn't dark enough. When there was violence, it left me thinking "what, that's it?". It's way too subtle when it should have kicked ass. It even felt pretty artificial at times - from the behavior of the protagonist (you can't really expect great acting from a slasher I guess) to the Christmas setting that just felt forced and unnatural to me for some reason. At least it looks good, though. I didn't really like it, but I can see why others do. Sorry JJ.

[quote=gbgoodies;1305555]I think Citizen watches some horror movies, just not the slasher type.

I'm the one who likes happy endings.[/QUOTE]

Now that's something we have in common.