November ’15 Movie of the Month: FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956)

Tools    

Last night I watched an excellent Sci Fi documentary that came on the two DVD disc Forbidden Planet.
Called 'Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us' with interviews with directors: George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Ridley Scott discussing the 1950s Sci Fi films that influenced them and their work. It was an awesome film! Only 50 minutes long and yet full of great clips of classic Sci Fi films and information, it was neat to hear the directors talk about what had impressed them....Forbidden Planet was prominently featured.

IMDB page about:
Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us

Forbidden Planet Trailer

The trailer doesn't do the film justices. But look at the opening credit 'crawl' and what the closing credits say too...you can see how this influenced the original Star Wars movie. Forbidden Planet influenced many sci fi films.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
For anyone who still hasn't watched this, but wants to see it, Forbidden Planet (1956) is scheduled to air on TCM at 1:45 PM Eastern Time Tomorrow.

Check the local listings for the correct time in your area.

Forbidden Planet is one of my favorite old sic-fi flicks, right up there with Metropolis. I saw it as a kid and still pop the disk on the player now and again. The FX were as good as they could be back in that time, the plot was rather cerebral (monsters from the id?) and the electronic music was epic. The scene with the giant power generator expanded my conception of what could be done and just how wrong it could go due to the basic psyche of the creators.