Plainview's Top 50 films

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That's the best batch thus far in my opinion. Sunset Boulevard, Forrest Gump, and Shawshank all rule. Sadly haven't gotten to the other 2 yet.

For the top 19 I will change up the format a bit.
19. The Player (1992)
Director: Robert Altman

The Player is about a $hit bag producer (quoted from film) who finds himself at the end of a disgruntle writer's harassment. As he tries to locate the writer to offer him a job with the trade off being left alone he finds himself in a case of mistaken identity. This gives the writer the upper hand with solid blackmail on the table. The film follows around Griffin Mill (Tim Robbins) as he tries to sort this whole mess out.

My favorite performance in the film is definitely Tim Robbins he plays a stressed out nervous producer superbly. He nailed the part and I couldn't imagine anyone else in his place.

Why I love this film so much. The film features tons of movie references and pokes fun at both itself and the movie business. Over sixty Hollywood types agreed to play themselves in the film. The opening sequence shot last 8 minutes without a single break and is absolutely perfect with references to Rope and Touch of evil. The film is full of hidden jokes which you really have to keep your ears open to catch. The direction of the film is amazing there is some really good camera work. The script which is based on a novel from 1988 of the same name is both funny and twisty. If you have not seen this film I suggest you do as quickly as possible the performance by Tim Robbins is worth it. This is an excellent Hollywood film.

Another good choice, PV. I can't see me ever loving the film, as it stars Satan. But, other than her (which really is saying something) I like this. It's certainly a film I've liked more and more, the older I gotten.

18. The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957)
Director: David Lean

The Bridge On The River Kwai is a film about a Japanese war camp. The film starts as a battle of will between the camp commander and a newly arrived British Colonel. After the Colonel has been asked to construct a bridge spanning the river he refuses despite the camp commander inflicting punishment. Soon the colonel gives in and begins constructing the bridge under British command. He has convinced himself and his troops that building a better bridge then the Japanese means that the British Soldier is superior .An American prisoner whom has escaped from the camp is leading a squad of British Soldiers back to the camp with the intention of destroying the bridge. When the American returns too the camp he realizes the Colonel has gone crazy and fully obsessed in an effort to complete the bridge on time.

The best performance of the film is most definitely Alec Guinness as The British Colonel Nicholson. As his character develops from patriotic war Colonel to an obsessed lunatic perfectionist he is absolutely marvelous.

The acting in this film is far above par which makes it rank in my top 20. I love everything about this film. The ending is probably my favorite part, it is just total madness. Most film buffs that have seen this film would definitely recommend it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah, I really really like The Bridge on the River Kwai. Like you said, the acting is just solid gold all around. And the story is intricate enough to keep you on your toes and watching throughout. Definitely a solid pick, it's also in my top 100, somewhere around 50 for me.

Yeah, I really really like The Bridge on the River Kwai. Like you said, the acting is just solid gold all around. And the story is intricate enough to keep you on your toes and watching throughout. Definitely a solid pick, it's also in my top 100, somewhere around 50 for me.
Ya the script is loosely based on real events. They say the film is actually insulting to the real Colonel that was in charge. Apparently the real conditions for the POW`s was to appalling for film goers and in reality was much worse then in the film. Apparently the real British Colonel did everything he could to delay the construction of the bridge. But it certainly was a great film.

17. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Director: Quentin Tarantino

The film is about a jewelry heist set up by a mob boss. When this simple heist goes wrong the group of six accomplices suspect that someone in the group is working with the police. The six are virtually strangers with assigned names so finding out who the person working with the cops is not as easy as one would think.

My favorite performance was Mr. Blonde (Michael Madsen) but you have to love Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) so its a pretty close call. Madsen plays an excellent sociopath who dances around to music while torturing a cop. When you watch his performance you absolutely believe this guy is nuts. As for Mr. Pink the guy is just funny all around. Looking at the guy makes you laugh and certainly brings a lot of humor to the film.

Nine times out of ten people will say there favorite Tarantino film is Pulp Fiction. Although Pulp Fiction is a great film, I cant get over how much I Love this film. Love the way these strangers turn on each other and think back to earlier in the day in hopes of trying to figure out how this whole simple heist could go so terribly wrong. If you have seen Pulp Fiction and you think you love it, you should really check out this Tarantino gem you wont be disappointed I promise.

I thought Reservoir Dogs had a better plot than Pulp fiction but Pulp Fiction had better characters.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Reservoir Dogs has plenty of good performances and dialogue, but I think Pulp Fiction is just overall the better film. Still, they're pretty close. Nice choice.

16. Mr Smith Goes To Washington (1939)
Director: Frank Capra

The film is about a naive boy scout leader that is appointed to the U.S Senate by the Governor of his home state. When he gets to Washington he finds himself thrown in the middle of political corruption. He tries to set up a camp for the boy scouts but is shut down by a political power pulling the strings, attempting to corrupt the young idealist.

Obviously my favourite performance in this film is James Stewart. He unleashes a performance of a life time.

Jimmy Stewart's filibuster scene is one of the great speeches in American Cinema, this whole scene made this a top 20 film for me. Mr Smith Goes to Washington reminded me that there are still good honest people in the world. Frank Capra created a character that the audience can connect with, whether it be his ideals for American Democracy or his boyish charm. Truly a great film.

Thinking about it...
Plainview, I guess we have a similar taste for movies.
I was particularly proud to see a Brazilian film in the mix.
Have you seen Elite Squad 1 & 2? Great movies!

I had to smile when I saw "Groundhog Day".
It's a very special movie.

I just have to say I never understood the hype
around "Forrest Gump". I liked it, but I didn't fall in love with it.
And I found "Gangs of New York" disappointing.

I've yet to see "Menace II Society" and "The Big Lebowitz"

Great list so far!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Another great addition with Mr Smith Goes to Washington. Just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

I am however one of those 9 that prefers Pulp Fiction. Reservoir Dogs is decent enough but just didn't do a massive deal for me

Plainview, I guess we have a similar taste for movies.
I was particularly proud to see a Brazilian film in the mix.
Have you seen Elite Squad 1 & 2? Great movies!

I had to smile when I saw "Groundhog Day".
It's a very special movie.

I just have to say I never understood the hype
around "Forrest Gump". I liked it, but I didn't fall in love with it.
And I found "Gangs of New York" disappointing.

I've yet to see "Menace II Society" and "The Big Lebowitz"

Great list so far!
Groundhog Day is like a modern day classic comedy. I just found the script for Forest Gump so interesting. I felt like you couldn't make stuff up like this. The way they entwined the script into historic events was excellent. I am a huge Daniel Day Lewis fan so Gangs was a gimme for me.

15. JFK (1991)
Director: Oliver Stone

Oliver Stones highly controversial film about the events leading up to the assassination of John F Kennedy. This great detective movie is based on the novel by the former District Attorney Jim Garrison. After reading the Warren Commission District Attorney Garrison notices inaccuracies and conflicting statements and decides to re open the case. Slowly as the case is investigated Garrison uncovers what he believes to be a conspiracy involving Government Officials of the highest level.

The majority of the performances in the film are excellent but the one that really stood out for me was Tommy Lee Jones as Clay Shaw.

Besides an amazing story this film has an amazing cast. The film with all its political conspiracies and magic bullets kept me interested for the whole 189 minutes. When I finished the film for the first time I thought to myself that the whole plot really isn't so far fetched. How could one man plan and carry out the assassination of an American President in broad day light in front of thousands of witnesses. Check out this film and decide for yourself. No matter how many times I watch this film I still love it.

Is white trash beautiful
I remember when you made me watch this film,I love JFK it come off as a first-rate mystery thriller,good choice Plainview.