Disregarding sequel(s) in a series, then remaking them.

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Got to give credit……this topic was discussed by an Australian podcast I listed to last night called Reel Chat. The presenters, prior to discussing the original Terminator, discussed the possibility of a brand-new Terminator film disregarding every installment following T2.
By doing this, the film makers are essentially remaking a sequel as apart from rebooting a series with say an origin story, etc. They further discussed whether Hollywood would adopt this approach and believe that it had not been doing before….on a mainstream level.

Another example they gave…was the Alien series. Imagine if a film maker chose to disregard Alien 3 and sequels and really make a new Alien 3 with the original two still in the timeline.

What else could this work for? Doesn’t have to be a series could be just a part 2/sequel that you thought was dismal.
I’d like to see them redo Blade 3 lol. Things could still work if actors were older just needed to write an appropriate story/script.I'd also like a another shot at the Pitch Black sequels with Vin Diesel. That story went loopy as.

This might just do nobody any good.
It’s pretty funny that Fox did this with Days of Future Past but then screwed up the new timeline with Apocalypse and then decided that Logan was in its own timeline and so is Deadpool and Legion and probably New Mutants.

Alien 3 is better than both Prometheus movies too, so good one Fox.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Some people say they don't like Prometheus cause it's not in the same universe as Aliens, but is that true, since Aliens takes place after and all?

The truth is in here
I seriously hate when franchises do this. Accept that the past happened. Try to do something as good as you can from where you are right now instead, or maybe don't make another sequel at all.

When was it debated that it’s not set in the same universe?

I seriously hate when franchises do this. Accept that the past happened. Try to do something as good as you can from where you are right now instead, or maybe don't make another sequel at all.
Come on now. It’s not a common thing at all. I’d rather rather disregard a few films then have a movie that has to adhere to a trashy sequel or for it to be completely rebooted. The thing though is...the new movie would need to be good...which obviously isn’t an easy thing to do given the diminishing quality of today’s films.

Basically a classmate told me he didn't like Prometheus for being in a different universe, so I took his word for it that they were. I saw both movies but didn't notice a universe change necessarily.

It’s pretty funny that Fox did this with Days of Future Past but then screwed up the new timeline with Apocalypse and then decided that Logan was in its own timeline and so is Deadpool and Legion and probably New Mutants.

Alien 3 is better than both Prometheus movies too, so good one Fox.
Good pick up. I haven’t seen days of future past but I know it disregards 3. As for alien 3....yea honestly I didn’t mind it haha. But if a sequel can make something better that fits in with the two classics before it...may be worth it.

Basically a classmate told me he didn't like Prometheus for being in a different universe, so I took his word for it that they were. I saw both movies but didn't notice a universe change necessarily.
Was the classmate Tyrone? Tyrone’s always spreading lies.

The truth is in here
Come on now. It’s not a common thing at all. I’d rather rather disregard a few films then have a movie that has to adhere to a trashy sequel or for it to be completely rebooted. The thing though is...the new movie would need to be good...which obviously isn’t an easy thing to do given the diminishing quality of today’s films.
I didn't say it was common, just that I don't like it. I think if it's too hard to make a sequel without disregarding other movies it's time for a franchise to end. Every movie seems to get like 4-12 billion sequels or prequels nowadays.

The truth is in here
Thing about the new Planet Of The Apes movies is that they didn't need to ignore several sequels, they just came up with a good new story, with a couple elements from the old ones. And it worked.

I’m kind of on the same side. Look, I just accept that these things are gonna go on forever and I’m not asking them to pull the plug on any franchise but it’s an undeniably cheap move.

Warner Bros. is spending tons of money trying to Flashpoint Zack Snyder’s work away. It’s one thing to learn from your mistakes and another to throw all those resources into a “you didn’t see anything” note. There’s greater focus on erasing rather than growing.

No, no Tyrone in my class . Planet of the Apes is the perfect is example as Rise of the Planet of the Apes might be my favorite non-comic book reboot of all time.

Fair points. But I’m looking at the positive here, imagine if a really good director could come in and continue some of our beloved classics. Or even the Original director.

I appreciate there’s too many sequels and it is a tad cheap especially if the remake turns out to be poor itself.

It also takes away responsibility for film makers and studios in that they can just say. Ok let’s scrap that movie...though thing is you’d think..people won’t buy into this novelty if the film is poor and they’ve had a run of really poor films prior regardless of them being disregarded.

I should ask a question about the OP. When you say disregarding sequels and then remaking them, do you mean remaking the sequels, or the originals?

No so not remaking the originals. So for example we have terminator 1, 2 and 3..I know there are others but trying to keep it simple. Ok so we disregard 3. They remake 3 with a brand new story etc. so if we were to watch the films as how they “now” intend it. It would be the original and T2 and this brand new T3. Hopefully that makes sense? Sorta hard to explain with written words. It’s remaking a sequel basically which is rarely done.

Welcome to the human race...
It's more like going back to a certain point and starting over - Highlander is a notorious example of this since every sequel only follows the events of the first film and has its own continuity (#2 was a futuristic sci-fi about aliens, #3 is present-day and involves a sorcerer, #4 ties in with the TV show). The upcoming Halloween movie is also supposed to disregard everything but the first two movies.

As for how I feel about the concept, I can't say I'm particularly fond of it. Like others have said, it just seems like it can too easily be used as a cheap cop-out to over-correct for lesser installments and appease discontented fans for profit (which also feeds into the toxicity of fan entitlement). The main example I think of is people still holding out for a "proper" follow-up to Aliens that brought back Ripley, Newt, and Hicks and had the Xenomorphs coming to Earth (especially when it looked close to happening with Neill Blomkamp recently) but I can't get excited at the prospect because it just sounds like it's going to be watered-down Aliens (much like how Terminator 3 was a watered-down T2). Still, since Disney owns Fox now we might just end up getting that so...sh*t.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'd also like a another shot at the Pitch Black sequels with Vin Diesel
I misread this as "a shot at the Pitch Perfect sequels with Vin Diesel," and I got so excited.

It's more like going back to a certain point and starting over - Highlander is a notorious example of this since every sequel only follows the events of the first film and has its own continuity (#2 was a futuristic sci-fi about aliens, #3 is present-day and involves a sorcerer, #4 ties in with the TV show). The upcoming Halloween movie is also supposed to disregard everything but the first two movies.

As for how I feel about the concept, I can't say I'm particularly fond of it. Like others have said, it just seems like it can too easily be used as a cheap cop-out to over-correct for lesser installments and appease discontented fans for profit (which also feeds into the toxicity of fan entitlement). The main example I think of is people still holding out for a "proper" follow-up to Aliens that brought back Ripley, Newt, and Hicks and had the Xenomorphs coming to Earth (especially when it looked close to happening with Neill Blomkamp recently) but I can't get excited at the prospect because it just sounds like it's going to be watered-down Aliens (much like how Terminator 3 was a watered-down T2). Still, since Disney owns Fox now we might just end up getting that so...sh*t.
Ah fair enough another example....haven’t seen the hilander movies also. I guess it can be a cheap cop out although you could say the same for a poorly made remake or sequel. It’s not as though it’s a guaranteed money maker either. If a series isn’t popular...for whatever reason...perhaps multiple poor instalments... it’s unlikely to have any demand even with this spin.