Napolean Dynamite...A Review By JRS

→ in
Tools    

Napolean Dynamite - A Review by JRS

This evening I attendeed a trade screening for Fox Searchlight's Napolean Dynamite. I have been dying to see it for so long, and was so excited that I got a chance to view it.

The story takes place in Preston, Idaho. Napoleon Dynamite (played by Jon Heder), the main character, has a distinct look - a tight red 'fro, thick glasses (which he barely can keep his eyes open probably due to its thickness) and two front buck style teeth. He enjoys drawing mythical beasts like Ligers (half Lion ,half Tiger - his favorite) and fights with his brother Kip (Aaron Ruell). When their grandmother leaves the house Uncle Rico (Jon Gries), a door-to-door salesman who has a fantasy of time travelling back in time to become pro in football, steps in and becomes a nuisance to Napolean ruining his social life ....whatever he has of it. Along comes Deb (Tina Majorino) the photo shop girl, and Pedro (Efren Ramirez) with his sweet bike and talent with the chicks -- They help elect Pedro for class president. But if Pedro is to beat Summer (Haylie Duff), Napoleon will have to do some serious damage.

Each of the characters had their own distinctive way of bringing out the laughs. The acting isn't oscar quality, nor does it intend to be. The actors focus mostly to their dialogue and actions towards us. The only award(s) I can see this film or the filmmakers winning is best independent film of the year (for one). Though the story may be a little thin, the humor makes up for it all.

Napolean Dynamite, winner at the Sundance Film Festival, is the most hillarious film, and one of the best I have seen this year. Possibly in a long while. I suggest for everyone here at MoFo to catch it, wherever it's shown near you.

Thanks, jrs. I'll be sure to catch this one. Nice review.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Good review

I'm gonna see it Thursday night. The trailer is funny, cut together well, but I have pretty low expectations going in. If it turns out to be at all good, bonus for me.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

yesterday on trl, not that i watch trl frequently, but they were doing a random vj thing, where they would pull someone from off the street and have them vj for a few minutes. so they go out at some point and are scanning around for people, when this dude walks by. now this guy was wearing acid wash jeans, a baby blue tee shirt and some snow boots. he had glasses and very curly, afro-esque hair. of course they pulled him up immediately. and he went on to introduce himself as....napolean dynamite. and he talked about his uncle rico and aunt deb, and it was funny as hell because everyone on the show, the other vj's and the audience simple thought he was some crazy dude, they didn't know abou the movie. it was great. i laughed for quite some time.

Bug Planet Proximus
Originally Posted by pacsunchic
yesterday on trl, not that i watch trl frequently, but they were doing a random vj thing, where they would pull someone from off the street and have them vj for a few minutes. so they go out at some point and are scanning around for people, when this dude walks by. now this guy was wearing acid wash jeans, a baby blue tee shirt and some snow boots. he had glasses and very curly, afro-esque hair. of course they pulled him up immediately. and he went on to introduce himself as....napolean dynamite. and he talked about his uncle rico and aunt deb, and it was funny as hell because everyone on the show, the other vj's and the audience simple thought he was some crazy dude, they didn't know abou the movie. it was great. i laughed for quite some time.
hahaha, that is gold

I Don't Know Anything
I heard that this movie gets released nationwide July 23. I searched for it where I live, but I can't find any theatre playing it yet.

#1 Canadian Haylie Duff Fan
this movie was okay, i watched it last night. I just love Haylie Duff, and she does make an appearance in this movie. that is the only reason i watched it. Anyways, later!

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
T'was a great write up, and I also throughly enjoyed this movie.It was a piece of comedic genius.

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
Nice Review JRS, My roomates and i have been catching the commercials on MTV for the movie. We've noticed that each commercial has something new to show the viewer. We're all perplexed, we've never seen a movie with so many random events or situations in it. I'm curious if the movie is packed full with all of what we've seen or if there might be a mini series coming out???

i have yet to see the movie, but i'm super excited.

Originally Posted by Animal_Mother
T'was a great write up, and I also throughly enjoyed this movie.It was a piece of comedic genius.

Who is your icon....i can't think of it and its on the tip of my tongue...
i remember the guy holding that huge gun..
hilarious.

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny420
I'm curious if the movie is packed full with all of what we've seen or if there might be a mini series coming out???
Only what's seen in the commercials (and MTV).

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
What did it win at Sundance?

In Sundance, Jared Hess who portrayed the character of Napolean Dynamite, was just nominated in the Dramatic Category.

Although, Napolean Dynamite won at The U.S. Comedy Arts Festival for Best Feature and received the Discovery Jury Award.

Finally saw Napolean Dynamite....
Absolutely hilarious....
however i thought Pedro's character was alittle too lame, even though i know they were priding themselves on that characteristic.