110 artist(e)s that helped shape my musical taste

Tools    

Ian Dury - Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll

All things considered I always had a huge amount of respect for Mr. Dury even if he wasn't the easiest person to be around in his normal life. Lyrically he could switch from crude to witty to poignant seemingly at will and like a few on this list he was a natural showman.

Jam, The - 'A' Bomb In Wardour Street

Paul Weller might have gone down the softer road later in life (and nothing wrong with that) but I much preferred him with a bit of punch and angst in his vocals and The Jam were just so fresh for my generation even if they did overtly recycle at times.

James Brown - Woman

The godfather of soul, the grandfather of funk, the man who never really needed to tell me to get on up or get up offa that thing 'cos I was already there anyway

Japan - ...Rhodesia

Quite probably a surprise inclusion on this list I imagine with Sylvian's voice pretty polarising but for me that was part of the appeal as was the fact they were initially widely dismissed by the 'establishment' (music press) during my 'contrarian' phase. Each album was a marked step forward imo and a real shame they split after Tin Drum as I would have loved to see where they would have gone next.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Glenn Miller & His Orchestra - Perfidia

Big band music was another passion of my fathers which was passed on by indoctrination - in part thanks to being dragged to kindly brought to local performances when I was a nipper and in part by being bombarded with allowed to listen to lots at home. Mr. Miller was always one of his favs and perhaps unsurprisingly eventually became one of mine too with the way he always made the flow seem so natural and simple.

How old are you?! Glenn Miller disappeared in 1944.

How old are you?! Glenn Miller disappeared in 1944.
Oi Gbg, am not that old!!! My father used to drag me along to big band concerts but sadly I don't think any of them were Glenn Miller in disguise lol. I also used to draw a lot of dinosaurs when I was really young but I can also assure I didn't do them from memory

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

The man who's guitar was an extension of himself, a shame much of his stuff is being pulled from Youtube these days but his version of Dylan's All Along The Watchtower is certainly good enough to represent someone who was simply iconic.

Johnny Mathis - You Light Up My Life

One that can be well and truly laid at the feet of my mother as Mr. Mathis was her favourite singer of all time and tbh it's not hard to see why as he has such a beautiful timbre to his voice and is technically superb.

Joy Division - Ice Age

No secret that JD are my favourite group of all time, they are a group who's music has consoled me when I'm down far too many times to count yet have also fired me up with their upbeat numbers on occasions where that's been wanted too. Nearly 36 years on and I still miss Mr. Curtis immeasurably.

Kate Bush - Them Heavy People

Another born performer Ms. Bush was always interested in the marriage between both audio and visual and was like a breath of fresh air with her then unique style.

Kinks, The - Alcohol

The Kinks employed aspects from many different styles, including vaudeville, in making a lot of great music and Mr. Davies proved himself time and time again to be a lyricist par excellence.

Laurel Aitken - Mad About You

Another godfather, this time of ska though his career actually covered a number of styles including calypso, r&b, ska, rocksteady (as this one is) and reggae. Sadly seemingly little known outside of ska/rocksteady circles he was influential in the emergence and spread of both those beats.

LaVern Baker - Saved

American singer that melded influences from both blues and gospel and became one of the earliest rhythm & blues singers.

Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks

There's nothing can be said about these guys that hasn't already been said really. I loved them from the very first time I heard them and that hasn't waned even one iota many, many years later.

Leonard Cohen - That's No Way To Say Goodbye

Another great songwriter and though not the most versatile of singers in terms of range I simply adore both the tone and timbre of his voice. That the delivery is downbeat doesn't always mean the sentiment is and sadly I think a lot of people misunderstand that about Mr. Cohen.

Les Swingle Singers - Bach - Largo from concerto #5 (F Minor)

Have I mentioned yet how I love harmonies? Well a capella harmony groups don't come any better than the original Swingle Singers imo.

Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good

She sang a variety of styles and managed all of them effortlessly but was really memorable to me for her more rock influenced output, especially when she smouldered.

Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five - Once In A While

Satchmo was always such an easy like for me whether playing or singing as it always sounded so easy and natural. My father never really let on who his favourite in the jazz arena was but just from how much I remember him being played I'd say this man was easily in contention.

Lowell Fulson - Reconsider Baby

Quite simply out of the many various blues singers/musicians that are invited into my ear this is easily the one I listen to the most.

Madness - My Girl

Another group where it was love at first listen even though I took a fair bit of flack over it from those I used to hang around with at the time. Forerunners of the ska revival they were nearly always tongue in cheek with their approach which naturally just endeared them to me further.