100 Singles of 2014

Tools    

Nicki Minaj kind of looks like Iggy Azalea in the top left image.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What is this mainstream crap?!

Moar throat singing & drone, please!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

What is this mainstream crap?!

Moar throat singing & drone, please!
I've never heard of some of these, like FKA Twigs, who I'm really liking.

Let the night air cool you off
34. Rae Sremmurd - No Flex Zone

2 Mainstream.

"She said 'why you got so many condoms with ya?' I said 'I'm a playa to be honest with ya'."

FKA Twigs is really popular. I stumbled across them several times already. I give their EP2
. It's decent, but doesn't make me excited enough to listen to their album.

I'm listening to Lykke Li singles right now and they're all alright, but have that 'radio pop song' written all over them, which makes them worse in my book.

Iggy Azalea ft. Charli XCX - Fancy is one of the worst songs I've heard recently. It must be hard to write something so bad, so perhaps it's an achievement in its own way.

Not a fan of most rap, so obviously I didn't fancy the rap singles I listened in this thread.

Sia - Chandelier is interesting, but wears off really fast. The hook is cool, but still in a very radioesque (is there such a word?) way. The music video is interesting, tho.

Röyksopp & Robyn - Do It Again is again quite alright, but mainstream, radio, background music. Well, that's just my opinion.

Viet Cong is a (one of?) highlight on this list. I need to listen to the whole album. I was meaning to do it for a week now! I also need to listen to the rest of your list, but I don't have time today. Maybe tomorrow. I can post a rating of every song if you want.

I think I need to make a similar thread myself, but I don't know if there's enough singles in 2014 music I listened to.

I discovered my latest discovery - the greatest pop group ever - has released two singles in 2014. A good start for my new thread I might or might not make.

That's what happens when you write your post for at least half an hour while doing several other things (like listening to music).

Let the night air cool you off
I also need to listen to the rest of your list, but I don't have time today. Maybe tomorrow. I can post a rating of every song if you want.
You don't have to, it would look like a mark f Movie Tab post.

I wish Sia made "Elastic Heart" her 2014 single, because I like it more than "Chandelier" (which I really like still).

Any drone recs from last year?
I had to check RYM for that one. I hoped for some recs from you, but the only thing that is more or less drone I can recommend from 2014 is Under the Skin soundtrack by Mica Levi, Time Machines II by Peter Christopherson (the guy from Coil), and Sunn O))) & Ulver collaboration Terrestrials. I haven't listened to Time Machines II in its entirety, because as much as I love what I hear I'm genuinely scared. The first Time Machines was a great album and I've listened to it while watching a very slow-paced Akerman film with no dialog and almost no people. It was amazing, but kinda weird experience. Then I read this stuff it is supposed to invoke some crazy dreams, lucid dreams, or something when you listen to it when you sleep and that it has some sounds in a very high or low frequency you can't hear, but it stimulates your brain and I don't know if it's true, or not, or if my version of the album is high quality enough to actually maintain this effect, but this somehow made me afraid I'll be tripping balls while listening to this album, which is utter bullsh*t and I'll probably listen to it soon. :P

Or maybe it was just my excuse not to listen to this album... I have 700 more albums I need to hear.

I'm surprised Under the Skin isn't too mainstream for you, Minio.

Mica Levi is an INSANELY talented musician by the way. I love Micachu and the Shapes. Marry me, Raisa Khan.

Like the list, lots to agree with, lots to disagree with, which makes it all better.

The Todd Terje song is great, would likely be my favorite cut on the album if not for Inspector Norse (But that wouldn't count as a 2014 single anyway).

I know Bobby Shmurda was everywhere, but that track does nothing for me.

Wasn't aware of that BBNG/Killah/Danny collab, I hope they do more in the future.

You mentioned recent drone and I thought I'd recommend Mohammad, who dropped Zo Rčl Do in 2014 and Som Sakrifis in 2013.