Bumblebee's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....
That's a pleasant surprise. Looks like I'll be seeing it opening night. Good reviews, by the way.
I thought the same thing.
Glad you enjoyed the reviews. =)

FAST & FURIOUS 5 (2011)

The Fast and the Furious movies have been known to draw in a lot of views from a wide audience. Its got the girls for the guys, the guys for the girls and the cars for just about everyone! Not only does it have high speed chases and death-defying stunts, but its got a storyline that drives the movie on and on and still, somehow, despite everything being about cars and action, remains to hold your attention. Well, you'll be pleased to know, Fast 5 doesn't fall short of its predecessors.

Fast 5 begins pretty much where the last movie left off, with Dominic Torretto (Vin Diesel) all locked up and traveling down a desert highway in a prison bus, which so happens, to be targeted by our heroes, Brian (Paul Walker) and Mia (Jordana Brewster) which most clearly pull of some intense driving maneuvers within the first 2-3 minutes of the film. An amazing open sequence and one that caught the attention of everyone in the cinemas, some in awe, others in sheer chills of how cool some of the driving was.
The film follows the trio on their enemy-of-the-state run in which they have to avoid some dangerous criminals and some even more dangerous tactically trained mercenaries/FBI agents. Along the way we meet some of the old favorites from the former films which ultimately help the trio on their journey and on their last job which will set them for the rest of their lives and allow them to disappear.... forever.

Although the script isn't all that amazing, it isn't horrible. The storyline is fairly action-packed and easily tells the narrative by pulling as (happily) along on a wild-goose chase around Rio de Janeiro. There are some really cheesy lines, but they don't take away from the film and ultimately provide us with some cheap laughs, allowing us to really let loose of some of the tension which seems to build itself up along the film.

Director Justin Lin by no means had any issues with this film. He had his eyes set on making something entertaining and that was exactly what he did. The film doesn't make an attempt to make us see a beautiful world, nor does it try and make us ultimately enjoy the scenery; it does what it's supposed to none the less. Looking at the screen you can see the hell hole the trio are residing in. There are no beauty spots in this film, unless of course you look at certain shots in which Dom and the rest of the crew are intending to have a good time. None the less, Lin takes is back to F&F roots with street races and local driver hang-outs which we saw from the first movie, which was a most certainly welcomed feature.

There wasn't much to the casting here, because everyone had been cast prior in one of the original films counterparts. The characters selected to be brought through to F&F5 none the less were realistic. Dom, Brian and Mia fit perfectly into the film and as they had in the former films, all three performers bring the regular bad-assery to their characters. Diesel doesn't seem so in the zone in terms of acting at the moment, but he makes up for it when he's beating the crap out of someone or blasting down a highway in his prize car. Dwayne Johnson is the most notable new cast member, and, quite honestly, he does an okay job at adapting himself into the world of the Fast & Furious. His acting needs some work, but being a wrestler and all, you don't expect him to perform as well as Paul Walker considering his roots are to be over-dramatic.

Other cast members pulled their characters into the story well, delivering their lines well and developing relationships between one another fairly realistically. Although at points you may doubt certain characters need to the film, there is no doubt in my mind that each and everyone of the recruited members for the crew were essential. Although Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Dwayne Johnson were the main big names in this film, everyone held their all performance wise; perhaps even the lesser known more so than the crowd favorites.

A story that is jam-packed with action, cars, girls and humor, Fast Five is most definitely worth a watch. If you're willing to switch off and allow some of the less realistic features of the movie pass you by, you'll have a blast with this joyride. Although it isn't an essential watch, Fast Five will most likely be a pleaser; especially if you liked the former films. Leaving room for yet another film, we may be seeing more of Dom and the gang in the near-future.

So race on into your local cinema and give this one a look if cars, action, girls and bad-assery are your thing.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Great Thor review! Went to see it yesterday and really enjoyed it. So much better than I could ever have imagined it being really

Was going to write my own little review but after seeing yours I feel intimidated, mine would seem so inferior by comparison!

Great Thor review! Went to see it yesterday and really enjoyed it. So much better than I could ever have imagined it being really

Was going to write my own little review but after seeing yours I feel intimidated, mine would seem so inferior by comparison!
I'm really glad that you enjoyed Thor and the review itself!

I'd love to see you write up a review and would mostly definitely be checking in on it! Don't feel intimidated because your review will most certainly be excellent, but I really appreciate the compliments!

I'd love to see you write up a review and would mostly definitely be checking in on it! Don't feel intimidated because your review will most certainly be excellent, but I really appreciate the compliments!
Well I gave a Thor review a shot after starting up my own reviews thread. I think it could do with being a bit more disciplined however. I just kind of rambled on and it was only when I was done I realised just how much I'd gone on

Hopefully with some practice can become a tad more professional

Oh and I picked up The Soloist for £2 a couple of months back. Not got round to watching it but quite interested after reading your very positive review

Well I gave a Thor review a shot after starting up my own reviews thread. I think it could do with being a bit more disciplined however. I just kind of rambled on and it was only when I was done I realised just how much I'd gone on

Hopefully with some practice can become a tad more professional

Oh and I picked up The Soloist for £2 a couple of months back. Not got round to watching it but quite interested after reading your very positive review
I really enjoyed reading your review. I don't think you rambled on at all, in fact, I thought it was informative and too the point.

I hope that you enjoy the Soloist! I found it to be a great film. =)
Glad you enjoyed the review!

I really enjoyed reading your review. I don't think you rambled on at all, in fact, I thought it was informative and too the point.
Well thank you very much.

I'm actually in the middle of trying to write another one. Again I feel it's a bit of a mess so will try and tidy it up a little

GATTACA (1997)

"There is no gene for the Human Spirit"

It isn't too often that we come across a movie which we can ultimately classify as flawless in its own right. We usually find an issue with the cast, the direction, the filming style or something in between, however, I am pleased to say that GATTACA is, quite simply, a masterpiece. I'm surprised at how little an audience this movie drew from those that exchanged words with myself or others and hence, going out and spreading the word on this amazingly well cast, well directed and well written feature is giving it everything it deserves.

To give readers a run down of the story that GATTACA revolves around, our world has recently delved into genetic engineering and furthermore, has grown the basic baby steps into some phenomenal fetes; allowing scientists to determine what a child inherits, what it is absent of, and ultimately, how, when and what it will die from in the distant future. Imagine living in a world where people no longer discriminated based on race, religion or gender, but quite simply, based on your genetic makeup. Imagine being one of the few who were born as a 'natural born', not influenced by the new technology and not expected to live past the age of thirty; this is the position that Vincet (Ethan Hawke) finds himself in. With a lifelong dream to travel beyond the stars, Vincent assumes the identity of a genetically superior man, Jerome (Jude Law) who is quite simply flawless, however, tormented by something just as horrible as being accustom to being a 'natural born'. With his new face, Vincent makes a close bond with Jerome and starts making his way toward his distant goal.

The script writing when it comes to this film is breathtakingly brilliant and undoubtedly concrete. There aren't ultimately any plot holes in this film and it does everything it needs to do to keep you and those around you glued to the screen every second of the way. If you aren't captivated by some of Vincent's acts, encouraged by his undying aspirations to travel to space, you're put in a place where you are learning, adapting and furthermore, understanding some of the brilliantly written characters that accompany Vincent in the dysotpia that is the world of GATTACA.

Director Andre Niccol knew exactly what he wanted to do with GATTACA. You can see that he wanted to make something that had never been made before, and wholeheartedly bring audiences into a world that wasn't so different from our own and quite honestly, not so distant from where we stand today. There are some beautiful shots in this film and the way the sets are designed are by no means by accident; almost everything in this movie has a meaning -- however -- different for every person that watches. Niccol pulls us into some heavily emotional scenes, allowing us to empathize, sympathize and respect the characters in the film; minor and main alike. None the less, with all the serious aspects of the film kept in mind, Niccol makes sure to take audiences away from some of the more daunting themes of the film to allow them to settle back down and have a chuckle along with the likes of Jude Law & Ethan Hawke's character.

The casting in this film was sublime. I cannot believe that a cast like this hasn't been put together again. Jude Law shines bright in his brilliant portrayal of Jerome. The portrayal is realistic beyond measure, humorous and furthermore, lovable. Ethan Hawke is great as Vincent and really made the character his own, completely embodying the character and showing his talent as a young actor. Uma Thurman is also present in this film, co-starring with Ethan Hawke and Jude Law, however, as much as he role is major to Vincent (Hawke's) development, she doesn't appear anywhere near as much as Vincent or Jerome. None the less, each performer was balanced all round and put in some unbelievably good performances; including that of the lesser stars!

All in all this film has everything. A detective story, a love story, sci-fi aspects and action antics. This film, with all it's little pieces encompassed together is the perfect definition of a drama genre based film which carries itself all the way until the closing credits. A phenomenal film in which is most certainly worth a watch. I've seen this great film three times and quite honestly, upon digging it up, will be watching it again and again.

So..... what's in store for our future?
GATTACA does an outstanding job at giving us a sneak peek!

THE ILLUSIONIST (2006)

"Nothing is was it seems...."

This film is one in which has kept its distance from my local DVD player for quite some time. It never seemed to find it's way to a screen near to me, nor did it ever peak my interest in the slightest. None the less, eventually, this film found itself, finally, on my screen -- and rightfully so.

What would one expect from a movie titled THE ILLUSIONIST? Magic? Illusions? Revealing tricks? Old favorites?
The Illusionist has all of these things and more, but by no means should the films story be limited to the above items in which find themselves present within this film. Eisenheim (Edward Norton) is a magician and not a person of high stature in his time of living. As a young boy, he found a love in a beautiful young girl, far higher in standing than he was, and their forbidden love begins an extensive problem amongst the land. Issue upon, issue, Eisenheim leaves to ensure no more hassle for his lover, taking his endless magic tricks around the world and executing them with extraordinary precession. In doing this, a vast amount of attention is brought to his shows, and eventually.... some tricks begin to appear more real than fake. In turn-of-the-century Vienna, Eisenheim discovers his past love, taken by a royal and hence, to secure his love, the magician begins to perform shows in the local vicinity. None the less, a forbidden love is bound to have it's fair share of problems.

The Illusionist is marvelously written. The script was written in such a way that audiences would grow closer to characters, learn from them and furthermore, pity them for the situations and horrors in which they are forced to face throughout the duration of the film. Everything that this script compiles is necessary, and nothing falls short of incredibly entertaining. No character was underdeveloped, no lines unnecessary; the unbelievably well mastered script of this film is part of the reason it was such a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining film to watch.

Director Neil Burger had a clear image when coming into contact with this script; he wanted to make something that was memorable, and most certainly, create something that would entertain viewers right until the end. Scenes are well shot, scenery, well decided upon. The direction of this film in one word is "brilliant". To have a film that could strike even or even top the likes of The Prestige starring Hugh Jackman, is thoroughly pleasing. With clever masterful directing, Burger keeps audiences in awe at everything that is occurring on screen and keeps us right on the edge of our seats until the closing credits of The Illusionist.

Whoever decided to cast Edward Norton as the lead of this film was well informed and very well experienced. Norton's portrayal of the dark-yet-in-love Eisenheim is both entertaining and spooky. Paul Giamatti as Inspector Uhl was yet another formidable choice, proving to be both entertaining and surprising. Casting Jessica Biel as Sophie (Eisenheim's love) proved to be just as pleasing as the former choices as leads, and hence, this film does not fall short of talent, nor does it fall short of direction or incredible script writing. Rufus Sewell as the Crown Prince Leopold was brilliant, entertaining, and frightening. Sewell played the Crown prince in a fashion in which we all grow to hate him and consider him dark, evil and misguided even with his cold and dark plots and extensively self centered views. With these big names embodying their characters through their grand talent, we also have some of the less main members of the cast more than holding their own on screen with the big names; proving that this film went out and ensured that they brought in the best of the best.

This film is more than a pleasant watch. It is brilliant, it is beautiful and best of all, it is entertaining from start to end. With a love story that will shock you, a twist that will make you smile and gasp, The Illusionist is certainly worth the watch.

All in all, this film is no Illusion.... it is truly, magical.

CHANGING LANES (2002)

Changing Lanes was a pleasant surprise. This drama has all the characteristics that you expect from the genre and more. Starring some big names like Ben Affleck and Samuel L. Jackson, Changing Lanes doesn't fall short of talent, but none the less, doesn't present itself as a 'talent-filled movie', but a movie that has been made to grasp attention, deliver a message and entertain all at the one time.

With a movie titled Changing Lanes, one wouldn't ultimately be positive what to expect. The story of this film is grand, attention grabbing and unique in its own way. Simply stated, Changing lanes follows the events that occur one day when a Lawyer is running late to a hearing, and a single (struggling alcoholic) father, Doyle, who also happens to be attending a hearing to obtain the visiting rights of his children find themselves in a minor non-fatal car accident. With the arrogance of the lawyer and the sheer disrespect he shows, the single father (Samuel L. Jackson) is left road bound, absent of a way of attending his hearing and furthermore, loses the right to see his kids. However, upon exchaning documentation, young lawyer Gavin (Ben Affleck) drops a crucial document to be presented to the court, which finds its way into Doyle's hands. Now with the power to obtain a sense of justice, Doyle is set on keeping the document for himself, blaming Gavin for his tardiness to court and the now consequence that came with it.

This film is well written and played out well by it's cast. There is a certain beauty to the way it is created and the themes it addresses, as well as the every day struggles that many of us find ourselves facing as the days go by. Through the script, our understanding of right and wrong are put to the test, as well as our faith in the legal system itself. At times the good guy seems to be one person and the bad guy another, but then the tables turn back around putting someone else in the good guy's shoes. You really are made to question yourself, and the morals of these men, as well as the morals we value, which ultimately determine who we consider to be in the right and whether redemption in possible.

Roger Michell who directed this film took it in a direction I didn't expect it to be heading. He manages to keep us eager to see more with his interpretation of what a father would do in the situation he was in, as well as the way in which a young-aspiring lawyer would react if one of his most crucial documents was to go missing. With a good use of the camera and an intriguing look into our legal system and the world of a common man from that of a higher class man, we truly are put in a situation where we are made to gaze upon the struggles that each case comes across each day (or in this case, in one day). There really wasn't very many slow points of this film, and hence, its most certainly a pleasure to watch from start to end.

Samuel L. Jackson was marvelous as always, and it was really intriguing to see him playing a character a little different from those he is more accustom too. Although there are bad-ass aspects to Jackson's character, we actually do get to see how L. Jackson perceives a single-father as well as the horrors he faces when it comes to dealing with his alcohol problem and his helplessness as a result of a courts ruling. Ben Affleck gives us a great performance as well, bringing across a very up-tight but uncertain lawyer. At no point do you ever consider Affleck to be playing a one dimensional character; he does an excellent job at showing the moral struggles that his character (Gavin) is facing; both mentally and physically.

This film has a clear message in it; that it's never too late for change. Changing Lanes is appropriately named as not only are key events relevant to it's title, but key outcomes of both characters and situations could be metaphorically compared to the changing of lanes; from good to bad, from worse to better, injustice to justice. With it's clear theme and extensively well driven story, Changing Lanes was a pleasant and not overly drawn out tale of hardship, dedication and self-finding.

So change lanes and give this one a shot!

X MEN: FIRST CLASS (2011)

X Men: First Class is the highly anticipated prequel to the original three X Men films, as well as Wolverine: Origins. Having been privileged enough to see this opening night, I am going to simply start by saying, boy, what a ride!

X Men: First Class throws us right into the world of Charles Xavier and the merciless and driven Erik Lehnsherr in which are both following two completely separate journeys, but none the less, two completely interesting journeys. Although starting sometime before 1963, the films main focus in is '93, none the less, describing how characters came to meet and how bonds were made (and bound to be broken, as well as strengthened).
During 1963 however, upon the discovering of a mutant threat -- hell bent on starting a World War III -- the mutants whom believed themselves to be alone align themselves with one another, forming an extraordinary team of special agents. Headed by the brilliant Professor X and the dangerous Magneto, the First class forms in a hope to stop an imminent war between American forces and Russia. With minimal time on their side, Professor Charles Xavier begins to train his group of young mutants to control their abilities and use them to fight the evil forces of Sebastian Shaw, enemy to the human race.

First Class is marvelously written and structured. It's fast paced and interesting, intriguing and completely energizing with some captivating scenes and undoubtedly phenomenal dialogue. First Class is exactly what we have come to expect from Superhero flicks, and more specifically, X Men films. With laughs, witty lines and a story that drives itself all the way too the end, there is little to no fault in the writing department of this film. No matter how you look at it -- X Men: First Class is bound to have something that will appeal to everyone; comic-book nerd or not! A film written to fill in the gaps we all needed to know, First Class doesn't fall short of letting us know exactly what we want to know. How did the X Men come about? How did Professor X and Magneto meet? What's behind the darkest characters in the series that drives them to do exactly what they do and whats behind the good that drive them in the completely opposite direction?
All these questions and more are answered in First Class.

Matthew Vaughn, the mind behind the direction of this film was well selected when it came to taking this film forward. With some superb scenery and fantastic location choices, X Men: First Class is not only entertaining but beautiful to look at. As a director he keeps us eager to watch on and makes sure that we really do give a damn whats going on with all the characters in the film (main or minor). With a film that has a cast as powerful as First Class, there is no doubt that Vaughn was more than able to direct this film as he pleased, as the cast would have been able to most certainly adapt to anything that he wanted them too. With a story drive that is both entertaining and funny, Vaughn makes sure to add his marvelous directing talents to the mix, bringing the movie together ton ultimately make it an entertaining and thoroughly intriguing journey back into the past.

With some big names like James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) and Kevin Bacon (Sebastian Shaw), this is a star studded cast in which all the performers put in their best. McAvoy's interpretation of Professor X is thoroughly enjoyable and furthermore humorous and unique. Kevin Bacon brings a fearless and heartless Sebastian Shaw too to the film, and makes sure that we feel absolutely no sympathy or empathy for his character. Michael Fassbender was incredibly good at portraying Magneto, proving to be both pleasant and likable one minute, and completely unpredictable and cruel the next. With characters that are by no means one dimensional, and actors that are more than capable of sustaining and upholding everything that comic fans expect of their classic heroes; this cast has nothing to worry about and nor do audiences who are eager to see this film in theaters (or on DVD upon its release).

A film that is entertaining, fluent and constantly intriguing, X Men: First Class is most certainly worth seeing on the Big Screen. With action, laughs, love and a history lesson on one of the most entertaining films to hit our screens, First Class meets the standards that we've come to expect from hero movies.

So suit up in your geek homemade X Men costume and get down to your local theater and get ready for your First Class with Professor X.

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
(2011)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 brings potentially one of, if not, the most loved franchises to an end with one final and yet powerful push! I was lucky enough to find my way to the cinema opening night to get a screening of this and here I sit, ready to share the spectacle that unfolded before my eyes with you all.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 picks up where the former film left off, the group of teens on a beach after burying one of their lost companions. The film offers us a brief insight and re-establishment of what happened in the previous film, acknowledging the key character changes, power changes and a variety of other significant events that present themselves as key to Part 2. The trio find themselves still three horcruxes away from being able to defeat Voldemort, and the thrilling DH: P2 follows the courageous, death defying journey to subdue the last remaining horcruxes and destroy them. With minimal time remaining, Harry, Ron, Hermione and their assorted companions finds themselves faced with the darkest hour ever distilled upon them; a battle, first hand with the massing forces of Voldemort's death eaters, as well as the dark lord himself.

Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is magnificently presented, both on paper and visually. The structure of the film stays mostly true to the books, and conveys some significant moments which many of the fans of the novels would have wanted to be present in the last installment of the fast-paced, heartfelt farewell to fans. Although Part 2 is brilliantly written and paced, the film does leave some room for non-Potter book fans to drop off the radar a little. Some things are left to the audiences, somewhat in a fashion that expects them to understand certain aspects of the film, even before they arrive at the theater. With that being said, thats not exactly something that everyone feels to be true, as I didn't feel this and nor did my company who hadn't read the final book or knew what would be happening whatsoever. With that being said audience members who are less attentive in their move endeavors may find themselves a little thrown out of the loop. So long as you're paying attention, you should be perfectly fine. With the informative and well delivered dialogue, this isn't a huge problem, and the themes of the film - as a result of this clever and unique writing - are clear, even despite the awesome visuals that this film comes to present. It is clear that the writing and the skill and understanding of the Harry Potter story is at an all time high with both the writers and the magnificent director of this feature; David Yates.

Yates presents us with not only a great understanding of Harry Potter's story, but captivates audiences with his need for beautiful locations and the distinct changes he has made to the Potter world as a result of its fall to darkness. Old locations we remember as vibrant and bright, like our characters, have a sense of being worn and prematurely forced to mature and cope with significant hardship. Not only is The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 entertaining, but brilliant crafted visually. In his style of direction and development over the time in which he has served as the Harry Potter mastermind (Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, DH:P1, DH:P2), Yates ensures that we are connected to the character, main or minor and possess a significant amount of sympathy, fear, hatred or favoritism for them. Not only this, but he presents the vast amount of characters in DH:P2 as truly to the novels as he possibly could in creating a novel into a film adaption. With a powerful cast and an extraordinary amount of faith in them, there is no doubt that Yates was more than able to direct this film as he believed would best honor fans of the franchise one last time. With a story that expresses aspects of all of us and the challenges that at one point or another, we often come to fact, the directing talents of Yates brought to the mix of acting talents, ensures the movie is molded together to bring a powerful, entertaining and thoroughly intriguing journey back to Hogwarts; where everything started - and ultimately - where everything will end.

Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson bring their phenomenal talents back to the screen, grown both physically and as performers. The chemistry on screen is clear and true and ensures that we believe everything that's happening before us to be as real as possible. Alan Rickman, notable for his role as Severus Snape encompasses the character in an extraordinary fashion, both thrilling and captivating throughout - just as he has been in the previous films. Minor cast members and once insignificant characters brought into ensures that actors and actresses we haven't seen too much acting talent from in the past are honored for their hard work, and in their frontal roles, they honor the film as it has them. Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort is as chilling as ever and a marvelous performance is delivered as per usual on his part. Helen Bonham Carter, known for her role as Bellatrix Lestrange returns in all her glory to send chills down our spines once more and pose as her cunning, devious and evil self. No less, this cast will go down as one of the most respectable, with chemistry being naturally created and acting, enhanced, developed and finally, captivating to all in the audience. It's the clever way that each actor knows their characters like the back of their hand that makes the acting so recognizably great, and so undeniably brilliant.

A film that is entertaining and constantly intriguing, Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is most certainly worth seeing on the Big Screen. Fans of the book are bound to shed a tear, and possibly, even fans of the films. Either way, if not for either of the above, as a result of the drawing to an end of a long loved and achievement-filled franchise. Captivating visuals, action, real life challenges and hardship, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 ensures that the final installment of the series brings the franchise to an explosive close and one that will be remembered for generations to come.

Wands at the ready for the last time.... and one last salute to a story that many have fallen in love with.

SHERLOCK HOLMES:
A GAME OF SHADOWS (2012)

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is a sequel to the original film Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jnr. as the quick-witted, chaotic and somewhat dysfunctional detective Sherlock Holmes and Jude Law as the reasonable, realistic and controlled Dr. John Watson. I was lucky enough to see this film opening night (and so, this review is long delayed). But before we get started, let me just say, since opening night I have returned to my theater not once, not twice, but three times to witness some of the golden aspects of this film.

A Game of Shadows springs easily into the events set up by the last film in which Professor James Moriarty (Holmes' most prominent and challenging enemy) begins on his journey to cause chaos. The film follows their struggles (across some spectacular locations) to outwit and bring down their fiercest adversary - but yet- for a change in pace - not everything is as it seems. The story pulls new characters into the mix and for the most part, ignores some old. However, these points seem nil with the exciting, fast paced and thoroughly enjoying journey that Holmes and Watson decide they 'need' to undertake.

The writing in a film like this is essential. Dialogue needs to be precise, informative, but even still, cannot give away key points of the story that should be left undisclosed until Holmes' miraculous revelation of what he knows, what he has discovered and how he put all these things together. The fact that the dialogue and the story were so well constructed, is hence, perhaps one of the most prominent reasons this movie works in its entirety. An exploration into Holmes and Watson's friendship borderlines a love relationship at times, showing that the writers decided to take some distinct risks. While it seems as though a romantic relationship could spew from some of the bizarre antics of Holmes, one always brings themselves back to reality realizing that the tangents are simply Holmes' anti-social mannerisms showing themselves through the way he confronts and interprets social situations. It's for this reason that Holmes and Watson work so well as characters. The writing and immense thought that goes into their mannerisms and simple quirks says it all (but a lot of this is owed to Downey Jnr. & Law). It's most clear that Guy Ritchie, once more had a clear image for this film as he did the last. He knew where he wanted to take the story and he knew what challenges he wanted to present to his characters and the audience. While staying true to aspects of the old stories in which Holmes came to originate - Ritchie's efforts to please the crowds are formidable.

Guy Ritchie doesn't dwell on the boring. He knows exactly what he wants in his pieces and so he targets those things specifically. All scenes presented in the film are deliberate and everything seems to have clear and distinct purpose. Scenery is well placed and locations decided well upon. While it's not a visual masterpiece, it was most certainly not intended to be such a thing. Backdrops and locations are dark and uneasy - so much so that it almost feels as though bit by bit, the characters inner emotions, feelings and hardships are transforming the world around them with each step they take. Furthermore, the slow-time pre-thoughts of Holmes return in all their glory; showing exactly how the private eye plans to disorientate and prevail over his enemies even despite the remarkably uneven odds. The feature's always been something that's unique visually, and the look into HOW something is going to happen to be followed by a quick-time replay of the extraordinarily amazing visual present before hand is quite pleasing.

Robert Downey Jnr. still amazes me with how exceptionally well he plays an English detective such as Holmes. His take on the character, the specific actions and expressions he uses and his pinpoint accent all entwined encompass the perfect Sherlock Holmes. There's something about Downey Jnr. that always makes you want to watch on and this film is by no means an exception. He's probably more so captivating with the well written script, witty lines and well developed character his been graced with. Much the same, Jude Law presents an amazing Watson. His take on the gentleman-like nature of the man, but incorporating that snarky, brutal and somewhat brutish nature that comes with the well-educated sidekick is blended remarkably well. While other members of the cast do exceptionally to portray their characters - no one stands out by name. The cast is strong and more than hold their own, but it's undeniable that Downey Jnr. and Law steal the screen with their glorious adaptions and interpretations of their respective characters.

This is a film that is attention grabbing and compelling. It takes a leap away from typical movies being made of the now with their bland stories and reliance on animation, effects and cinematography and focuses more on story drive, talent and inspiring stunts. The fast-paced nature of the film and it's unexpected twists and turns make Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows a well-spent night out at the movies. However, don't face it with a stray mind. Keep your head on and keep yourself focused because it's one long, exciting ride.

A page turned in the Holmes film series..... Shall we get started on the next then?

Went over your reviews. Very nice. Keep it up. You have a writing talent.
I read you and Jay Dee and I feel out of debth. Have to brush up on my vocabulary.

Thanks very much! I really have enjoyed your building list and the brief and yet precise way you go into each of the films leading to your number one! I think you're doing excellent in the way you're going with your reviews/summaries and eventually, you just pick things up along the way.
A sincere thanks once again.

Very good reviews. Ever considered doing it for a living or at least part time. Keep up the good work. I will bookmark this thread for sure.