3. Sombre by Philippe Grandrieux:

4. Flowers of Shanghai by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

5. The Hole by Tsai Ming-Liang

1. Happy Together by Wong Kar-Wai

2. A Taste of Cherry by Abbas Kairostami

3. Funny Games by Michael Haneke

4. La Vie de Jesus by Bruno Dumont

5. Starship Troopers by Paul Verhoeven

Would be interested in hearing some of your thoughts on these.

From 2001 i love Mulholland Dr. and Spirited Away. I did like What Time Is It There? alot too, practically nothing happens, there's not even much dialogue but that made me concentrate alot more and i think i got quite alot out of it because of that. Weird film. Haven't seen the others and haven't seen anything from 2000. Ratcatcher is my favouirte from 1999 and i liked The Straight Story too, haven't seen the others. The Thin Red Line is one of my faves from 98 and is my favourite Malick so far, still have to see half of his films and rewatch Days of Heaven tho as i barely remember it. From 97 i like Funny Games and don't like Starship Troopers.

Would be interested in hearing some of your thoughts on these.

From 2001 i love Mulholland Dr. and Spirited Away. I did like What Time Is It There? alot too, practically nothing happens, there's not even much dialogue but that made me concentrate alot more and i think i got quite alot out of it because of that. Weird film. Haven't seen the others and haven't seen anything from 2000. Ratcatcher is my favouirte from 1999 and i liked The Straight Story too, haven't seen the others. The Thin Red Line is one of my faves from 98 and is my favourite Malick so far, still have to see half of his films and rewatch Days of Heaven tho as i barely remember it. From 97 i like Funny Games and don't like Starship Troopers.
Tsai Ming-Liang is definitely an auteur who has a very distinct style and aesthetic. Imo his magnus opus is Goodbye Dragon Inn, where there is only 1.5 line of dialogue. His films are a very bodily experience and reminds me of the phenomenological philosophy of Maurice Merleau-Ponty. His film are "weird", but they make you question being and how you are in the world. An existential reflection on late modernity.

On a side note there are often metafilm references both to his own works but also throughout film history, in What Time Is It There for instance references the French New Wave

The Thin Red Line is my favorite Malick and probably one of my favorite war movie. Its a poetic reflection on war with immensely beautiful pictures.

If you have some more questions, just ask away (Though it has been sometime since i saw some of the movies)

1. A Moment of Innocence by Mohsen Makhmalbaf

2. Fargo by Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

3. Goodbye South, Goodbye by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

4. Breaking the Waves by Lars von Trier

5. Pusher by Nicolas Winding Refn

Tsai Ming-Liang is definitely an auteur who has a very distinct style and aesthetic. Imo his magnus opus is Goodbye Dragon Inn, where there is only 1.5 line of dialogue. His films are a very bodily experience and reminds me of the phenomenological philosophy of Maurice Merleau-Ponty. His film are "weird", but they make you question being and how you are in the world. An existential reflection on late modernity.

On a side note there are often metafilm references both to his own works but also throughout film history, in What Time Is It There for instance references the French New Wave
Yah, that's the only one i've seen so far and i hadn't really read or heard anything about him so it was jarring at first jumping in basically blind, i did like it alot though think i rated it

And yeah loved Leauds appearance as well as the other 400 Blows references/clips. I'm sure there was more but if there is i've either forgotten or i haven't seen the films he was referencing. Got The Wayward Cloud ready to watch, should do so soon. Think Minio said that one is his favourite, might be remembering that wrong.

If you have some more questions, just ask away (Though it has been sometime since i saw some of the movies)
Yeah cool, i'll see what else shows up.

A Moment of Innocence is my favourite of 96 too The policeman might be my favourite character of the 90's.

Love Fargo. I seriously don't know what i think of Breaking The Waves, it was kinda great but also so frustrating. Will need to see it again.

Yah, that's the only one i've seen so far and i hadn't really read or heard anything about him so it was jarring at first jumping in basically blind, i did like it alot though think i rated it

And yeah loved Leauds appearance as well as the other 400 Blows references/clips. I'm sure there was more but if there is i've either forgotten or i haven't seen the films he was referencing. Got The Wayward Cloud ready to watch, should do so soon. Think Minio said that one is his favourite, might be remembering that wrong.

Yeah cool, i'll see what else shows up.
The Wayward Cloud is probably his most wackiest / kinkyiest film (probably why Minio likes it so much), but not one of his notable film in terms of autership. Though its really really fun. I might wanna go with the The Hole before that one

The Wayward Cloud is probably his most wackiest / kinkyiest film (probably why Minio likes it so much), but not one of his notable film in terms of autership. Though its really really fun. I might wanna go with the The Hole before that one
I've considered The Hole since it's on the 90's list but i think it would be best for me to leave that as one of his last because i really struggle with musicals.

Hey, do you think Millennium Mambo would be a good starting point for Hou? Someone on another site used to have the woman from it as an avatar and i've always thought it looks intriguing.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Best taste ever.

EDIT: Only second to mine, obv.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I would start with some of his eighties stuff ilke A Time to Live, a Time to Die (1985) and Dust in the Wind (1987)
Yeah that would probably be for the best. Will try to get to a few of his 80's films before watching it.

1995:

1. Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch

2. Maborosi by Hirokazu Koreeda

3. Before Sunrise by Richard Linklater

4. La Haine by Mathieu Kassovitz

5. 12 Monkeys by Terry Gilliam