Drama thread

Tools    

BANNED
Hi folks! I'm starting this thread for all the aspiring playwrights or screenwriters out there. So feel free to post your stuff.

I'm starting off by posting a one-act play I just wrote:

Is the World Flat?
A One-Act Play
By Uday Gunjikar

(Scene: Christopher Columbus addresses the “Flat Earth Society” in 15th Century Genoa, Italy)

Columbus: . . . And so, as you can see, my mathematical calculations and scientific observations clearly and indisputably prove that the earth is a sphere. Any questions?

(Onlooker in front row raises his hand)

Columbus: Yes?

1st Onlooker: But what does it all mean?

Columbus: Well, in layman’s terms, it means, simply, that the world is round.

1st Onlooker: The world is round??!! That’s ridiculous! Are you trying to tell us that the world we live on is round?

Columbus: As a matter of fact, yes.

1st Onlooker: What? Like a ball?

Columbus: Yes.

(Everybody laughs. Another onlooker from the back row speaks up.)

2nd Onlooker: But that’s totally absurd! I mean, look around you. Does the world even look like it’s round? Look at the ground. Does it look like a sphere? I mean, common knowledge clearly demonstrates—the facts clearly demonstrate—that the world is as flat as a pancake. How could it be otherwise?

Columbus: But my mathematical calculations and scientific measurements clearly prove otherwise.

2nd Onlooker: Is that so? Are you trying to tell us that some obscure mathematical calculations (quiet snickering and muffled laugher) and scientific measurements are more reliable than the collective opinions of all of us? I mean, we are the “Flat Earth Society”—our very existence is based on asserting the obvious, indisputable fact that the world is flat. And you come here with your mathematical calculations suggesting otherwise?

Columbus: In a word, yes.

(Another onlooker pipes up from the middle of the crowd).

3rd Onlooker: Let’s have a quick show of hands, shall we? Who believes that the earth is flat?

(Everybody raises their hand except Columbus)

3rd Onlooker: So you see, Signor Columbus? The consensus is clearly overwhelmingly opposed to you. What do you say to the fact that you are in a minority of one? To the fact that the entire population of the known world clearly knows, for a fact, that the earth is flat, whereas all you have to present us with are some whacko, way-out mathematical calculations and scientific measurements to try and prove otherwise? I mean, who’s going to believe something as ridiculous, as absurd as that?

(Another onlooker pipes up)

4th Onlooker: Tell us, Signor Columbus, how do you explain the fact that no one agrees with anything you say?

Columbus: It’s very simple. The truth is that all of you have been deceived by the enormous size of the earth and the result that the curvature of the earth is so small as to be almost invisible to the naked eye. To say nothing of the earth’s uneven terrain—hills, valleys, and so forth. However, if one takes the time and trouble to make a few careful observations, the curvature of the earth becomes indisputably apparent. A few simple experiments can prove this.

4th Onlooker: Look, I won’t even pretend to understand any of this gobbledegook you just said. All I’m saying is, “When are you going to quit making a public fool of yourself and simply fall in line with the rest of us, who know for a fact that the earth is flat?” I mean, all you have to offer us are some way-out calculations and stuff. How convincing is that?

(Another onlooker speaks up)

5th Onlooker: Just how comfortable is it being in a minority of one, Signor Columbus? When you pretty much have the whole world against you while all you have to offer are some mathematical calculations that no one understands, you have to wonder whether maybe you are being just a tad schizophrenic and out of touch with reality, wouldn’t you say?

1st Onlooker: Yeah, and besides all that, we, the Board of Directors of the “Flat Earth Society,” personally have a great deal of money invested in continuing the proposition that the world is flat. So if you refuse to fall in line and accept what we tell you, we will feel compelled to relentlessly hound you and mercilessly persecute you until you cave in to our demands!

(At this point, the room erupts with jeers and cries of consent to the 1st onlooker’s words. A few audience members begin chanting the anthem of the “Flat Earth Society”:
“The world is flat,
As we all know,
And that is that!
So get on with the show!”)

Columbus: Oh yeah? So you expect me to fall in line with the rest of you so that I can proudly claim to be as deluded, ignorant and flat-out mistaken as the members of the "Flat Earth Society," while all along I happen to know better? Not likely! You see, there’s a little ocean voyage that I plan to take to prove you all wrong! Just you wait and see!

(The crowd continues to boo and jeer as Columbus makes his exit.)

Chorus: . . . And the rest, as they say, is history!

THE END

BANNED
It's a better sounding name than "Silver Bullet"! It's a name from the Indian sub-continent, which is where I am from, originally--from Bombay, India.

Anyway, I think it's better to have a name like "Uday Gunjikar" and be a smart, thinking individual . . . as opposed to actually being an obnoxious jerk like you!

Save the drama fo' yo' Momma!

I know that's right.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Okay. Firstly, I'd love to see how many people think I'm not a smart, thinking individual. Secondly, I'd like to know who doesn't think you're an obnoxious retard. You'd be suprised.

And, thirdly, I don't recall saying that Silver Bullet is, uh, my actual name.

BANNED
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Okay. Firstly, I'd love to see how many people think I'm not a smart, thinking individual. Secondly, I'd like to know who doesn't think you're an obnoxious retard. You'd be suprised.

And, thirdly, I don't recall saying that Silver Bullet is, uh, my actual name.
Oh, sure . . . bring together a group of like-minded morons like you and, I'm sure, they'll all agree that you are a "smart, thinking individual" ( yeah, right!) even though the facts clearly suggest otherwise.

A feature length screenplay I wrote just got produced, Uday.

And I'm not asking to bring a group of people like me together. I'm suggesting you ask whoever you want. Maybe you should start a poll, you seem to be good at that. Well, not good, but you know...

Man, you are so retarded that you are just wasting my time here!
No. You're wasting your time here.

You're not invited, you moronic loser!
Right back 'atcha.

You're allowed to insult others, bucko, but you're starting to cross the line. Try to inject a little tact into them, at least.

I won't say this again. Okay then?

I blame you too. Yesterday I burnt down the house of the old woman who lives next door to me, and said it was you. You're so dead when they find you, H.

But of course. They'll NEVER take me alive! This is my standing policy in such situations with all so-called law enforcement officials, including those writing parking citations.

And I wanted you to burn down the house of your other next-door neighbor. Crossed signals, I reckon. Now you can simply shoot them rather than burn their house down, just to mix it up a bit.

Let me take a wild guess: Django is Columbus and all of us pro-war monsters are the Flat Earth Society, yes? Say it with me, class:

WARNING: "Django" spoilers below
Delusions. Of. Grandeur.

And for the record, when El Nino is nowhere to be found, I blame Y2K, but I'll segue towards scapegoating Holds if it's the chic thing to do.

God... I'm so sick of everything being about Django now. I'd kill for a rerun of some other, older episode.

BANNED
A feature length screenplay I wrote just got produced, Uday.
By whom? The chairman of the "Retard's Association of America"?

And I'm not asking to bring a group of people like me together. I'm suggesting you ask whoever you want. Maybe you should start a poll, you seem to be good at that. Well, not good, but you know...
Hey, the poll results are in. Do I need to start another poll? And be accused of further narcissism by jerks like you?

No. You're wasting your time here.

Right back 'atcha.
Then why are you here? Get lost! You're not wanted in this thread--not by me, at least!

BANNED
Originally posted by Yoda
You're allowed to insult others, bucko, but you're starting to cross the line. Try to inject a little tact into them, at least.

I won't say this again. Okay then?
Is this directed at me? If it is, maybe you should direct your assertions at the people who have, thus far, been endlessly attacking me for no reason. I reserve tact for people I respect. People who are just plain crazy or stupid only get my contempt.

BANNED
Let me take a wild guess: Django is Columbus and all of us pro-war monsters are the Flat Earth Society, yes?
I never said anything like that. All I did was post a play in a thread supposedly devoted to dramatic endeavors. As for putting words in my mouth or accusing me of delusions of grandeur, all that goes to prove is that you are an obsessive whacko in serious need of therapy!

And for the record, when El Nino is nowhere to be found, I blame Y2K, but I'll segue towards scapegoating Holds if it's the chic thing to do.
What th'?

BANNED
Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity
God... I'm so sick of everything being about Django now. I'd kill for a rerun of some other, older episode.
You can say that again!

Scapegoating Holden.

Now that sounds like it has a movie in it if you ask me.

BANNED
Only if you have the puerile mentality of Silver Bullet!