I need recommendations for "new" movies to rent

Tools    

Barney's Version

I'm convinced that Paul Giamatti's presence in any film automatically validates it. Argue with me all you want, but I have yet to see a film of his that I didn't enjoy.

Barney's Version is a showcase of Paul Giamatti at his best. The story takes us through a roller coaster of experiences that is the life of Canadian TV producer Barney Panofsky. In my opinion, no other actor is better suited to interpret this ride than Giamatti. His character is not likable, yet somehow P.G. manages to captivate you and even convince you to root for him; a testament to his acting ability no doubt. The supporting cast is phenomenal too, with notable roles by Dustin Hoffman (my absolute favorite), Minnie Driver, and Rosamund Pike.

There's a reason why Barney's Version received such high acclaim during awards season. Highly recommend!

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I just watched the movie Thirst, it is a Korean Vampire movie, and well it's just different then any other vampire movie I've seen, I think it's deffinatly worth checking this one out.

"When I say new I mean new to me."

So you're alright with the oldies? Try OpenFlix's Youtube channel.

DAS BOOT!

For any fans of the war film genre, Wolfgang Petersen's 1982 film DAS BOOT was just digitally remastered for Blu-ray. I now own both the original and the new director's cut. If you own, the original, I still recommend looking into it. If you own neither or haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch the film. You won't be disappointed. LA Times has called it "the most convincing war movie ever made."

*And fyi, the Blu-ray extras are incredible. Bonus features include:

- full commentary with Wolfgang Peters
- extensive documentary footage from filming in 1981
- overviews of the control and captain's room, and then some

Boyz N The Hood. Just released on Blu-ray.

"Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's going on in the hood."

Burke and Hare

Big fan of Simon Pegg, so I was pretty amped to see this one. I heard about it back in 2010 when it received a UK theatrical release. From what I understand, it's getting a US theatrical release in the near future. Currently it's getting a pre-theatrical release on SundanceNOW - a newer thing they seem to be doing quite a bit now. You can stream it there. Otherwise, maybe wait till it hits theaters.

The story is hilarious - a black comedy based loosely on the real Burke & Hare murders in Scotland in 1820s. I thought Pegg was perfect for his role, as was Andy Serkis. Also has an all-star cast supporting cast in Isla Fisher, Tim Curry and Tom Wilkinson.

"I had confidence in a fart once, then I shat all over myself" - William Burke (Simon Pegg)

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Absolutely agree with SG with Das Boot. A superb film. There's also a mini-series which I recommend and gives you much more.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081834/
What is the difference between the mini series and the movie, aside from the length?

There's just more of the same, IIRC. As you're with them for so much longer (there's an extra hour and twenty minutes) you know the crew so much more. The tension, claustrophobia, etc is ramped up because you're there with them so much longer.