Film as a vehicle for philosophy - "The Ledge"

Tools    

I love me a little philosophical discussion, especially when it pertains to film. Just watched THE LEDGE with Charlie Hunnam (green street hooligans), Liv Tyler, Patrick Wilson (the watchmen), and Terrence Howard. Director Matthew Chapman has said that the film's Suspense/Thriller story, which I thought was tremendous, is really a vehicle to address some deeper philosophical questions, namely:

• How can evil exist in the world if God is perfect, and moreover how can it exist if God is a loving god?

• What drives an atheist to sacrifice his or her life (for another person), when faced with the notion that God does not exist? i.e. Why act selflessly?

The clip below is a scene from the film where the "problem of evil" is addressed. Pretty cool scene. And Charlie Hunnam's character poses a pretty tough dilemma for the man of faith. Both of these guys were awesome in the film btw. Anyone care to take a stab at either of these issues? I'd love to get a little film-based philosophical chat going...

Clip from the film - "What did God Do To You?": https://www.facebook.com/video/video...36008&comments

The film releases July 8, but it's showing now on SundanceNOW.com until May 25, as a sneak preview.

If you're into theological discussions, you came to the right place. We have tons of very long, involved threads in the Intermission forum about Free Will, the Problem of Pain, and other related concepts. I can try to find a few of the better ones and link you up if you're interested.

Might be better that way, since we try to keep movie discussions and everything else fairly separate. No problem if you want to mix them a little here, though, but if you want the really focused stuff it'll be in the other forum.