Dead2009's Random Reviews

→ in
Tools    

First UP........THE BAD NUN

Directed by: Scott Jeffrey

Starring: Becca Hirani, Thomas Mailand, Tiffany – Ellen Robinson

Okay so it’s been a while since I’ve blogged about terrible horror movies, and while I’m neglecting that by watching even more terrible horror movies and tv shows that I will binge once in a blue moon, I’ve seen some stuff over the past few months. Today, I am going to review a movie that caught my eye just by how the poster looks. At first glance I thought it was one of those stupid haunted house spoofs that come out around the time a horror movie with any kind of hype surrounding it releases, but boy…was I wrong. I give to you….The Bad Nun.

***Spoiler alert!***

Pros: There isn’t really much to say in terms of the pros of this movie. The atmosphere is creepy enough, and the lead actress does a somewhat decent job, but other than that, there isn’t much to really dive it into.

Cons: Okay so as I said before, this isn’t a haunted house spoof, it’s more of a home invasion type of horror film, which if you didn’t do your research beforehand going into seeing this, you would probably think it is as such. But no, in fact, it’s one of the worst home invasion movies I’ve seen in quite some time. For a good portion of the film, there is someone dressed in a nun outfit, you don’t see their face and all you hear is their voice at the door. For whatever reason, the female lead needs to hold a conversation with this person. Why on earth would you chit-chat with someone who just randomly shows up in the middle of nowhere? There’s no wifi and poor cell reception, so the recipe for disaster is easily growing. All of this is taking place at a B&B which just so happens to see the owner wander off and you don’t see him for most of the film until the BIG TWIST….surprise! He’s the person in the NUN COSTUME!!!! If you have plans to see this film, at all, for whatever reason….I just spoiled it for you. If not, I just saved you an hour and a half of your time.

Final Analysis: This movie’s original title was called The Watcher, but according to IMDB, was changed to The Bad Nun because of The Nun that came out the same year. It hooked me in with a bad poster but really lost me with the plot. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone unless you like bad horror. Final score 1/5.

Time for another random movie review and this time it's horror movie The Unborn from 2009!

Directed by: David S. Goyer

Starring: Odette Annable, Gary Oldman, Cam Gigandet

If anyone has yet to see this underrated gem, be forewarned that there are spoilers.

The Unborn has to be one of my favorite horror movies of all time. It may not rank up there with films in the “possession” genre like Poltergeist or The Exorcist but for what it’s worth, it’s a pretty good time. It’s about a girl named Casey who has an unborn twin fetus stalking her from beyond the grave in an attempt to be “reborn”. His name is Jumby and he’s really…REALLY pissed off. Either that or he’s just hungry, which in that case he just needs a bottle.

The fear begins when a kid Casey is babysitting smacks her in the face with a mirror. It is here that she discovers she had an unborn twin and that’s when the fun really begins. She starts to see random images such as the demonic little bastard haunting her from behind a bathroom mirror, being in her dreams, her best friend Remy is attacked as the spirit is looking for a new host. She contacts a woman who knew her mother and asked why this was all happening. Apparently the child the demon took possession of was the woman’s twin brother in Nazi Germany. Well….shit.

Casey needs an exorcism and fast…and as this happens, the woman she met up with in the old folks home ends up meeting one of her neighbors who happens to be possessed and creates the greatest demonic creature of all time….

You guessed it. An older man paralyzed from the waist down due to a stroke and doesnt have his bearings so he’s confined to a wheelchair. The demon took possession of him and turned him into a spider monkey looking thing. How cool is that? It’s a beautiful day for an exorcism as Casey and her boyfriend meet up with the Jewish priest and his group to get rid of the spirit haunting her. Things dont go according to plan as Jumby shows up and essentially takes everyone out. Eventually Casey and the priest are able to send Jumby back to the fiery pits of hell from which he came.

I feel like this should be some sort of spiritual successor to Damian merely for the fact that it revolves around a possessed child, but instead of being the actual spawn of Satan, he’s looking for a new home. The acting was great and the special effects were top notch. Oh I forgot to mention…Casey gets pregnant,with twins and names one of them Jumby. How’s that for a sequel set up?