Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I haven't seen the film, but I have heard some of the music from it, I think Mark linked it before, I think in his top 100 thread. Calling it mediocre seems silly, Morricone is a genius.
Yep, the music in Days of Heaven is gorgeous.

Not sure what the thinking behind it being "mediocre" is.

I haven't seen the film, but I have heard some of the music from it, I think Mark linked it before, I think in his top 100 thread. Calling it mediocre seems silly, Morricone is a genius.
I though the score for it was rather repetitive. Maybe the fact that I had already heard similar scores a hundred times over makes it repetitive for me. I understand why someone may love it, though, but it felt a bit too obvious for me.

Morricone scores for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, For a Few Dollars More and Once Upon a Time in America were way better, IMO.

Actually, hearing it again I may say it's better than the scores of most classic movies.

It's obviously purposely emotionally distant though. It makes more sense in the context of his previous feature, Badlands, with Sissy Spacek's naive narration. Malick really likes innocence, and both of those films are told through the eyes of someone who knows very little about the world around them. While it may not be a literal reconstruction of the past or headspace like The Tree of Life, but it's a story told through the eyes of a young and innocent little girl, with a little magic of cinema to fill in the gaps.
Malick's style doesn't fit well into my tastes though. So I consider Days of Heaven and Badlands, his two best movies, to be only above average movies.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Days of Heaven destroys Tarkovsky. For me. No comparison. Days of Heaven I totally relate to, cinematically and as a human being. Tarkovsky is cold, something alien. I keep watching him to try to see and feel what others do, but it comes off as an intellectual exercise. I know Tarkovsky is trying to communicate differently and touch my soul (which of course is what Malick and every other artist is trying to do too), but it rarely happens. I don't need to have critical appraisals and testimonials explaining to me that I'm wrong either. It's all there in the movies. If you have the right to your feelings, so do others, including me.

I was talking to a friend last night and we were talking about Nordic films... the desire to watch "Harjunpää ja pahan pappi" is so overwhelming.. I will watch it shortly. I just wish they would have stayed true to the book...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Big Lebowski

I have a feeling I'm gonna hate it, but we will see.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Big Lebowski

Even if you hate the movie, you can't not love The Dude.

The Big Lebowski

I didn't like it the first time :nope now i it

Spring Breakers

Really curious about this one. Sounds like a flick I can enjoy, but then again it can turn out to be a complete waste of time. We will see.

Spring Breakers

Really curious about this one. Sounds like a flick I can enjoy, but then again it can turn out to be a complete waste of time. We will see.
Have fun. Since you're the king of kinkiness you should at least enjoy the pool scene, although it's not that kinky.

Have fun. Since you're the king of kinkiness you should at least enjoy the pool scene, although it's not that kinky.
It wasn't too kinky. Two gun barrels sucking was way more kinky and disturbing at the same time.