Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Ip Man the final fight
Not nearly as good of fight scenes as the donnie yen versions, but this seemed more interested in the facts of his personal life..

3/5 average film

The Witch (2016)

One of the best horror movies of the decade imo. Chilling, disturbing, and suspenseful. Great acting as well, particularly by the father, the older son, and especially Black Phillip!

In Bruges (2008) - Martin McDonagh

- The Cast is red hot in that flick and they're all very good especially Collin Farrell who's one actor I really appreciate. The storyline is cool and highly entertaining (which is a big plus for me). Some hilarious moments and some most shocking ones.... The city is beautiful and the cinematography is nice. It has also a cool atmosphere of the city I cannot really describe but I really appreciate the aspect. The ending is some big kharma thing that I really like. Nice Movie and I recommend it.
-

Best of Enemies (2015)

A very well made portrayal of a rhetorical power play between two giants and what it meant for the future of American political television.

I have to return some videotapes...
Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - Katheryn Bigelow

I like a lot of Bigelow's work so I was looking forward to it and I can't say that I was let down. This film is like you probably know about the people involved with tracking Osama Bin Laden after 9/11. Jessica Chastain plays the lead and she does for the most part a good job, but sometimes her acting bothered me. Jason Clarke is basically the second bill and he was great in this, probably the best thing he has ever done. Some of the torture scenes are very brutal and it paints a good picture of the struggle in finding the truth about Bin Laden. The writing is good in this film, but I kind of feel like some of the scenes could have been cut for a shorter runtime. I also wasn't really that attached to Chastain till about half way through because I didn't feel like there was much development from her. Bigelow did a good job as well and I think she brought good performances out of most involved, but I did think there should have been more tension in some scenes that could have been full of it. I have to give it to her though for crafting a perfect ending to the film, it was beautifully shot as you see the silhouettes move through the dark house searching for Osama. Overall, I wasn't in love with everything about it and I would still probably say Argo (2012) deserved Best Picture more, but still this a really good film.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

Best Horror flick I've seen in theaters in nearly a decade.

But the theater seemed divided, I swear half the theater loved it and the other half didn't seem to give a damn, and were getting up and being a-holes. I think a lot of people had different expectations as to what they were walking into, and maybe expected another Insidious or Sinister, which this film is not. This film deals with the occult and witchcraft in a way that few films have ever been able to do so well. I sat through the entire thing wide eyes and bushy tailed, and was so pleased they let the horror come from the subject matter instead of cheap scares and bad sound cues. This is the kind of horror film I love, focus on plot and people not cinematography(Which was actually magnificent btw) and SFX. Everything from the dialogue/accents, costumes, buildings and folklore used were well researched and really helped set the mood for the film. One thing I found funny mind you was that there was seemingly a large number of non native English speakers in my theater, who at times didn't really seem to understand the dialogue and kept talking amongst themselves in frustrated tones. If you have a hard time understanding early Modern English, I would maybe wait for a dub/sub if available.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Bigelow^^is one of my favorite directors. Have you seen Strange Days and Near Dark?

I know you're talking to Cole, but both are deadly Cricket, Near Dark is probably my favorite vampire movie ever.

Welcome to the human race...
Seven Psychopaths -

This feels like it should have come out at least a decade earlier than it actually did.

All this love/talk about the Witch (VVitch...sure) and there's me just dying for it to come out here in Mexico.

Originally Cinemex's site had it down for an end of February release - then a few weeks ago, they changed it, scheduling it instead for 27th of May or something. Now it's gone from their site, but IMDB lists it as "4th March" for Mexico.

...JUST HURRY UP & RELEASE IT!

Guys, read the poster. You're talking about The VVitch. Two Vs. Not Witch.
I think it is just stylized that way and is in fact called The Witch

I have to return some videotapes...
Bigelow^^is one of my favorite directors. Have you seen Strange Days and Near Dark?
I haven't seen either, but Near Dark looks so good and right up my alley.

Seven Psychopaths -

This feels like it should have come out at least a decade earlier than it actually did.
The ratings people give this movie here make me like it even more.

The Big Short directed by Adam McKay -
I can now say with perfect honesty and a straight face that I have seen every Best Picture Nominee for the 88th Academy Awards. I doubt I'll be able to say that again but boy was this year fantastic, and it's certainly difficult to see any of those nominees not winning. The Big Short does an amazing job at explaining and dense and difficult subject of the housing and stock market to basically anyone. And while not all of them stick, the style with which Adam McKay chooses to present those explanation sets the tone for this films bizarre fourth-wall breaking niche that does wonders for the writing and plot. It's not easy to describe something so unusually great without spoiling it all, but I can say that it's hilarious antics and humor don't ever detract from the depravity of the subject matter and all that it holds. And in fact, it perfectly balances both of those things in such a way that you can have a good chuckle, but still care about the rippling effects of all that's happening. I could not recommend this more and I am certainly interested to see if McKay continues to make films of this caliber and style. Somebody help me, I can't get this grin of my face.