MOFO Movie Tournament: Bracket 1

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There's still no basis of comparison in this tournament
I'm not sure what you were expecting when anybody could put any film into the contest.

I mean, I guess it's okay, it ultimately weeds out a lot of stuff, but isn't there a chance there might be a bizarre winner -- ya know, once this finishes in 2024.

Bracket 1

8. American Beauty vs. 9. Silence of the Lambs
4. The Big Lebowski vs. 13. Thelma and Louise
3. Oldboy vs. 14. Tootsie
2. All About Eve vs. 15. Lawrence of Arabia

1. City Lights vs. 16. Brokeback Mountain
5. The Night of the Hunter vs. 12. Apocalypse Now
6. Audition vs. 11. Akira
7. Star Wars Episode 5 vs. 10. Paper Moon

I don't know about HK, but the films I think are the best are also the ones I like the most. I feel ridiculous having to say that. Also, it looks like I'll have to watch a couple films if I want to vote for or against them. Not sure if I'll bother yet.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I mean, I guess it's okay, it ultimately weeds out a lot of stuff, but isn't there a chance there might be a bizarre winner -- ya know, once this finishes in 2024.
He's probably going to start the next bracket in a week. It's just so they end at different times. I like this idea, good job raul.

Bracket 1

Bracket 1

I have only seen the very beginning of Oldboy, so I'll have to watch it. Also, I haven't seen Tootsie in forever, so I'll be rewatching that too. I also haven't seen Paper Moon. All three will be added to my netflix shortly.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I don't know about HK, but the films I think are the best are also the ones I like the most. I feel ridiculous having to say that.
So you think SotL is a better film than AB? That's properly mental.

I'd prefer to watch SotL, so that's what I voted for. But I have no doubt that American Beauty (in terms of acting, direction, editing, cinematography, script, lighting, etc) is the 'better' film.

I must confess that the American Beauty vs. The Silence of the Lambs category was very tough and I ultimately decided on American Beauty because I gave it higher ranking on my Top 100 list and, frankly, I wanted it to continue on in hopes that it might win this entire game and give Harry a heart attack.

So you think SotL is a better film than AB? That's properly mental.
With all due respect, you're properly mental.

American Beauty because I gave it higher ranking on my Top 100 list and, frankly, I wanted it to continue on in hopes that it might win this entire game and give Harry a heart attack.
Yeah, it won't give me a heart attack, just a big ass smile as I wave goodbye.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yup, I figure on starting one new bracket every week, and then after that starting over. For example when Bracket 8 hits out a week after I'll do round 2 of Bracket 1. I think the staggering will help since we won't have everything going at the same time. It will give people time to watch some of the films too (if they even want to).

At the same time, nobody honestly expects "The Best" film to win. It will probably be one of the boards collective favorites or best, but just like a basketball or football tournament, not necessarily will the best team (or in this case, movie) win.

American Beauty gets my vote. It's definitely superior to SotL.

The hardest choice for me was between Night of the Hunter and Apocalypse now. I finally chose Night because I think it is a more artistically significant film than AN, with richer storytelling.