Superb Scenes With Seanc

→ in
Tools    

Yes, a banana peel gag, one of the smallest and least significant jokes in the film. Though even that poked fun of the usual banana peel gag. It's strange that you picked something so minor to criticize instead of describing any of the later set pieces or gags which (thematically purposefully) become much more complex and integral to the film than that as the film continues.
Fair enough. I enjoyed the bike chase and I really liked the framing of the last shot. This is something that I mentioned in the HOF thread, though I forgot to in my review. I didn't hate this film on every level it just didnt make me laugh, which is kind of the point.

Yes, a banana peel gag, one of the smallest and least significant jokes in the film.
I don't know this, but, perhaps, it's because they're all banana peel gags to people who don't like sight gags/visual comedy? I often feel that way. I don't give a crap how long it took to set up, how imaginative it is, how dangerous or anything else. Did it make me laugh? That's what matters. And these films rarely make me laugh, which is why I don't watch them. Keaton, Chaplin, Lloyd, Laurel & Hardy, The Three Stooges, etc. I don't like any of them because they don't make me laugh. I say I love The Marx Brothers, but the truth is I love Groucho. Scenes with just Groucho and Chico/Margaret Dumount are great too. But that's pretty much it. I always speed through the musical interludes and any extended Harpo tomfoolery.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
How many dramas make you cry? How many action films make you out of breath or sweat? How many horror films make you bleed or piss your pants (scare you)? I already know the answers for some of you. Movies appeal to more than physical reaction, and besides, when you've spent most of your life shutting down certain reactions, it's pretty unfair to expect an old movie to change your habits all of a sudden.

How many dramas make you cry? How many action films make you out of breath or sweat? How many horror films make you bleed or piss your pants (scare you)? I already know the answers for some of you. Movies appeal to more than physical reaction, and besides, when you've spent most of your life shutting down certain reactions, it's pretty unfair to expect an old movie to change your habits all of a sudden.
This comment made me take pause because I do think there is some truth in it for sure. There are two things that make me feel this is not what is going on with me in this film though. 1) I don't have to laugh out loud to find a film funny. I think Rushmore is one of the funnier movies I have seen and I don't laugh out loud at it. 2) There are things that make me laugh out loud that I have seen 100 times. Seinfeld and early episodes of The Office are what come to mind immediately.

I do think sometimes my expectations for pure comedies may be unfair though. I only expect them to work for me on one level and that is to make laugh (again not necessarily out loud). I don't expect to connect with the characters or story in any other way and maybe that is part of the reason that I don't.

As an aside because it seems fitting in this conversation. I generally am not a huge fan of film comedies, there are only a handful that I really respond to. I generally find more humor of the gut laughing kind in TV. Seinfeld, The Office, Friends, and King Of Queens slay me on a consistent basis. I don't know what this says about the way I view comedy. Maybe some of you who have a deeper knowledge of how we engage with film can enlighten me.

That's a fair point, mark. I should say, I don't like any of them and they don't make me laugh.

Though, as to the argument, Bluedeed picked out the banana peel gag and made the point that it was a small gag and that it poked fun at the usual gag. Thereby placing importance on it, however, if those type of gags don't make you laugh, then neither the physicality nor the intent/satire/parody of it are likely to make any difference. That was what I was trying to get at, however ham-fistedly I did so.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Though, as to the argument, Bluedeed picked out the banana peel gag and made the point that it was a small gag and that it poked fun at the usual gag. Thereby placing importance on it, however, if those type of gags don't make you laugh, then neither the physicality nor the intent/satire/parody of it are likely to make any difference. That was what I was trying to get at, however ham-fistedly I did so.
I made a comment about how that gag had more to it than he saw, but I didn't laugh at it when I saw it the first time or any time after that. That wasn't the point of what I was saying.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There does seem to be a bond between familiarity and laughing. The more you watch something or someone, the more you let it in and feel it's OK to laugh. I have no love for most of the popular sitcoms of the '80s and '90s because I rarely watched them, and when I did, I just thought "What a bunch of unfunny weirdos". Now. "All in the Family" and "Sanford and Som" I find hilarious because I watched them when they were on and many times since. You could call it nostalgia, but I call it comfort. I just guess I'm comfortable with these oldtime fimmakers' senses of humor.

1945 Director: David Lean

This film had me hooked in the first thirty minutes. The sharp dialogue and the comfort with which the characters interact is a recipe for success in my movie viewing. It reminded me very much of a film I love, The Grass Is Greener. The setup involves a couple who are having a dinner party with another couple and a medium. Our protagonist is writing a book and it involves the supernatural. His plan is to have this medium over so that he can see the way she works but also to affirm his notion that she is a charlatan. The entire dinner party is delightful to watch. The witty banter continues and maybe even elevates when the medium appears. At first I found this character over the top but after she settles into the scenes she fits right in and has some of the better lines in the scene.

WARNING: "Blithe Spirit" spoilers below
During the seance at the dinner party our protagonist hears the voice of his dead wife. He tries to play it off to the others as if he is faking but when everyone leaves and his dead wife walks through the back door he can no longer fake it with his current wife. He reveals to her what has happened and she resists at first. Soon though the facts are too obvious and she realizes it is true. This is where the film lost me and I feel like it was a slow decline from the moment the spirit shows up. Soon we are in the middle of the 1945 version of Death Becomes Her. The spirit is jealous of the current wife. The current wife is jealous of the spirit. The husband is caught in the middle with no idea how to fix his problem. When the spirit decides to try and kill the husband so that he will be with her things become even more convoluted and the story loses me even further.

This film is above average for me, but ultimately just lost any engagement with me that it earned in the first third. I'm not 100% sure what I wanted this movie to become but I know that where it went was just too outrageous for me. The couple from the beginning become uninteresting. The medium, who shows up again in the last act, this time stays silly and over the top. For my viewing I think a film is better off to start slow and end strong. I feel like this leaves the viewer with a more positive overall experience. I am disappointed that Blithe Spirit went the opposite way but would still recommend this movie.

I love Blithe Spirit, but I can kind of see why you might not for the reason you've given. Obviously, it wasn't a problem for me, but then I like Death Becomes Her.

Anyway, as you liked the dialogue, I'd recommend anything by Noel Coward, but for films this I'd suggest Easy Virtue (2008) and Relative Values (2000).

2013 Director: Lee Daniels

The Butler is exactly what you would expect from a broad biopic that scales across not just years but decades. You will more than likely run the gamut of emotions. There is humor, sadness, and melodrama. Most of the emotion that Daniels is trying to evoke is earned, some is not. Despite all that what struck me the most while watching The Butler was just how thrilled I was to be sitting in a theater watching a film that cared about the narrative and its characters. I feel like The Butler has started off the fall season and that could not thrill me more.

The Butler is a simple but extraordinary story. After seeing his father killed in cold blood by the plantation owners son he is brought into the home to learn to be a butler. Soon he has to leave the plantation but his skills serve him well in finding a new job. When he receives an invite to become a butler at the White House his amazing adult journey begins. He serves under eight presidents, and while we get a glimpse into many aspects of American culture during each one the stories main focus is on civil rights. The Butler has two sons, one who becomes extremely active in civil rights activism. Much of what he does is disapproved of by his father and this is where the majority of the films conflict comes from. However next to Whitaker's butler, in my opinion the most interesting character is his wife played by Oprah. The couple survives some truly tumultuous circumstances and I would have enjoyed to see this explored more deeply. There is simply not enough time to delve deeply into every character which is usually the issue with a film that covers so much time and it is no different with The Butler. Whitaker and Winfrey make the most of every single scene together though, they work perfectly together and are giving A+ performances. It is especially great to see Whitaker back in top form, it seems to me that he has been settling for many lesser films over the past few years.

I recommend reading up a little on the true events of this man after seeing the film. I won't comment on those things here for fear of ruining the experience of the film. I do have some thoughts that would be interested to share with anyone who has seen the film. Sometimes I think that film makers take too many liberties with true stories, Argo anyone, but other times I have no issue with it and that is the case here. There is a major discrepancy but after dwelling on the film I think I understand why Daniels chose to do what he did. I believe that it made for an interesting exploration into the butler's psyche and thus was warranted.

The Butler is by no means a perfect film but is an above average bio-pic and more than worth your time.

Movie Forums Extra
Oh,my god.I didn't watch many films which you said.I was so out .

That's true. It's been over an year since I laughed out aloud watching a movie.

2004 Director: Edgar Wright

"You've got red on you."

My first time wading into the cornetto trilogy and I am very pleased I did. Up to this point the only Edgar Wright film I had seen was Scott Pilgrim and this kept me from being excited about seeing others. The tongue in cheek dry humor is right up my alley and is non stop in Shaun Of The Dead. The pairing of Pegg and Frost is perfect and they carry the entire film. The peripheral characters are not bad and Wright is having some fun with their relationships but everything feeds off of Pegg and Frost.

Shaun Of The Dead did lose me towards the last third when things become more conventional action than comedy. Overall I really enjoyed this film though and look forward to seeing Hot Fuzz next.

Shaun Of The Dead is ok, but I've never really understood the appeal of Simon Pegg's humour. I think I sold my copy for a fiver to someone who really wanted it.

1954 Director: Elia Kazan

"
I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody."

It is easy to see why this film gets all of the love that it does. The small guy, in this case longshoreman, against the big guy, the mob, is a story that is as old and relate-able as civilization. Brando and Malden are amazing. This is probably my favorite Brando performance and that includes The Godfather which is one of my favorite films. There are four or five scenes in this movie that are so show stopping great that they could make you over look some of the flaws, of which there are a few.

Terry (Brando) is an ex-boxer who now is doing work for a union boss who is not anything more than a mob boss (Cobb). He has a couple of reasons for doing this kind of work. One: it is the only kind of work that most men in this town can get. The union is deciding who works and when, and if you want steady work being with them is the only way to assure it. Second: his brother is second in command which gives him little wiggle room. From the moment we meet Terry we see him as a conflicted man. When he plays a part in the death of a worker who is adored by everyone who knows him his regret is apparent. When he begins to fall for the deceased's sister things become much more complicated.

Their relationship is my biggest issue with the film. It never took me out of the story completely but the thought that she would have anything to do with this man who everyone knew is a part of the organization that killed her brother was tough to believe. Brando does an outstanding job of making Terry a sympathetic character however, and that helps alleviate some of my issues. One of my other issues with the film, despite my love of Cobb's performance, is when we are introduced to the boss and and Terry's brother. Much of the scene works because of the performances. The scene seems to exist just to spoon feed us exposition a tactic which always leaves me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Brando is magnificent and has a lot of great scenes. The scene in the cab with his brother and the climax on the dock are two that jump immediately to mind. What shocked me while watching the film though is that Malden is every bit as great as Brando, playing the priest with a true conscious for the people. Malden and Brando don't spend as much time on screen together as you would hope, but the scenes they do have together are mesmerizing and perfect. Cobb's role is smaller, but he is great in every moment we get to spend with his seedy character as well.

On The Waterfront is a true classic. A very good story with outstanding performances. I enjoyed the time I spent with it very much.

Nice review, although I disagree with some of your concerns over the film, I enjoyed the relationship thing more and felt at first she wanted to talk to him and that to find out and help get justice for her brother, even if it meant becoming involved in a possibly sexual way, and then it kind of grew from there.

I give it the same rating, a great classic film with great performances and scenes.

Nice review, although I disagree with some of your concerns over the film, I enjoyed the relationship thing more and felt at first she wanted to talk to him and that to find out and help get justice for her brother, even if it meant becoming involved in a possibly sexual way, and then it kind of grew from there.

I give it the same rating, a great classic film with great performances and scenes.
I didn't read that at all, but certainly is not out of the realm of possibility. Thanks for the feedback, that is an interesting take.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Watched Elyisum a week or two ago by the way and sadly would have to agree with your thoughts on it. Good but ultimately disappointing. Had a lot of great and promising elements but for whatever reason they just never came together to gel into something truly satisfying.

I think one major problem were the characters. There was very little development in the Damon character so it was tough to care about him except as a result of the horrible fate that befalls him. The big problem though I felt were Copley and Foster's characters. Blomkamp seemed to be aiming for quite a serious movie with a message but they felt like they belonged to something much trashier and pulpier. Both were quite over the top and hammy and would have been more at home in something like Total Recall I felt. A shame

Watched Elyisum a week or two ago by the way and sadly would have to agree with your thoughts on it. Good but ultimately disappointing. Had a lot of great and promising elements but for whatever reason they just never came together to gel into something truly satisfying.

I think one major problem were the characters. There was very little development in the Damon character so it was tough to care about him except as a result of the horrible fate that befalls him. The big problem though I felt were Copley and Foster's characters. Blomkamp seemed to be aiming for quite a serious movie with a message but they felt like they belonged to something much trashier and pulpier. Both were quite over the top and hammy and would have been more at home in something like Total Recall I felt. A shame
Sorry you had the same experience, very disappointing film. There might not be a more wasted actress this year then Foster in Elysium.