oooops.

Tools    

Hi all,

Just wanted to say to everyone that I'm sorry I haven't been on here lately. I'm back now, so I'll try and get as much on here in the next few days as possible.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

Originally posted by Laurie L
Hi all,

Just wanted to say to everyone that I'm sorry I haven't been on here lately. I'm back now, so I'll try and get as much on here in the next few days as possible.

Hey, no problem. Hopefully the new stuff I'm working on will make your time here more valuable. I feel bad that this forum gets less activity than before, but I think I can turn that around over time.

I'm not worried. With the way DVDs are expected to grow in the next 2 years, I think you'll have your hands full pretty quickly.

What are region 2 dvds?
Where is region 2? Where am I?
How do I know what region I am?

Regions are designed to keep DVD pirating and copying to a minimum. Here is the standard DVD region breakdown.

1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China
7: Reserved
8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

If you have a player bought in the U.S., then it will be unable to read Region 2 DVDs...unless you modify the region code...which I don't suggest. Conversely, if someone lives in London and they buy a Region 1 disc, it won't play on their system.

Hope this helps

Oh! Dang, I entered a sweepstakes to win a region 2 dvd. That's why the thing said "be sure you can play region 2 dvds' Hmm...

Hey guess what Laurie, I went to Blockbusters yesterday and they had dvds on the new release wall! It made me happy. Now that people are embracing dvds so are the big rental places. That means more renting choices for me! I had a dvd player before anyone carried dvds. I had to use Netflix. Just thought that was a sign dvd popularity is growing and it made me happy.

Also, I've noticed that the last few dvds I've rented had Sneak Peeks on them with playable movie trailers. Thanks! That's a feature I really like and you prolly had something to do with it. 'member the Features Wish list thread? Woohoo! You're wonderful!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Region Encoding is Evil!!! Evil I Say!! Evil!!

Awww Thank you Sun. I've been pushing really hard for 'interactive' biographies. I want the actor bios to be like this...you click on the actor and when you click on a movie in their profile, a screen pops up that has that actor saying a line from that movie. For example, you're watching Notting Hill, you click on Julia Roberts' bio and go to Pretty Woman. When you click on Pretty Woman it has her saying, "I really appreciate the whole seduction thing you've got going here, but let me give you a tip...I'm a sure thing." Fox and Columbia/TriStar are both working on something along these lines. I'm hoping. I would love it.

Region Encoding will probably be obsolete in another 5 years. The DVD FORUM can't keep ahead of pirating.