HD-DVD

Tools    

Guy
Is HD-DVD gonna take over DVD when it arrives? When will it arrive and how big is the improvement over DVD?

What titles are gonna be initially released with HD-DVD and how much will they cost?

Are the HD-TV's gonna go down in price? How much will the HD-DVD Player cost?

LOL, Laurie is probably the only one who can answer these

I'm worried because I don't wanna have to re-buy all my DVD's for this new format, and I don't think many others will so it may fail!

Sorry Guy...completely missed this.

So far several manufacturers are looking into High Definition DVD - HDDVD with some interest, but it probably won't make the 'big splash' that some people think. The biggest thing about the format right now is that George Lucas as said that his Star Wars films will not be on DVD until HDDVD is released with a solid foundation on the market.

So far studios and manufacturers are still in the 'should-we-do-this-and-push-our-luck phase' so titles and prices haven't been officially announced. I'd look for big current films first, like Pearl Harbor, with a $30 range for price. If it doesn't catch on tho, studios may increase both the number of titles and the price by a few bucks to try to gain some interest.

HDTV's are expected to drop in price over the next few years. Especially as more of the country switches over to digital cable and TiVo. Plus as more and more DVDs are released with Anamorphic options, the demand for Enhanced TVs will increase thus lowering the prices.

No 'official' word yet on the cost of HDDVD players, but I'd assume they'd be about $1000-$1400 to start off.

Overall, I don't really see this format pushing the current DVDs aside. The DVD Forum, the group of studios who decides what happens with DVD, is still looking at expanding the current market and getting more and more people interested in switching from VHS to DVD. Until the overall DVD base is massive in terms of consumers and product availability, I don't see The Forum making any waves for fear they may tip over the consumer boat and piss off a lot of newly converted DVDphiles.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums