Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”
Rewatched again last night with my girlfriend the Akira Kurosawa's epic The Hidden Fortress. One of his more commercial samurai films and still great!

★★★★½

Also rewatched Edward Yang's debut with her:

★★★★★
This is one of that masterpieces that will stay with me for a very long time!

Now, there's one more thing...

½
Watched this TV miniseries just cause she wanted and OMG it was THAT BAD. Even her was bored in the ending. 8 hours of pure cliche ****. So predictble that with one hour I already knew wft was going to happen for the next 7 hours! Damn you Bill Pullman for be part of this trash! You deserve better.

Another Frederick Wiseman documentary. Bleak, as one would imagine from the title. I’ve always thought there can be few things worse for a woman than to be in a shelter with her babies & children hiding from an abusive man. We are told that one-third of American women are beaten from the beginning to the end of their pregnancy. Now that I’m typing this, can this possibly be true? The documentary is from 2002.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Just out of interest, which music score was on the version you watched? Goldsmith or Tangerine Dream?
Goldsmith. I didn't know there are two music scores. I had to check out

The Sunset Limited (2011)

Featuring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson, The Sunset Limited is one of the best religious discussion films I've seen so far, is a perspective of what the maximum extremism of both atheism and catholicism can be in the minds of two persons. The film unfolds all in the same room, despite that fact the film is not boring at all, mainly because of the good camera angles, constant argument, comedy and irony.

The Sunset Limited (2011)

Featuring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson, The Sunset Limited is one of the best religious discussion films I've seen so far, is a perspective of what the maximum extremism of both atheism and catholicism can be in the minds of two persons. The film unfolds all in the same room, despite that fact the film is not boring at all, mainly because of the good camera angles, constant argument, comedy and irony.
I haven't heard of this one. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be looking for this one.

The Road (2009)

Damn.
The movie was good though I can’t remember a single thing about it, but the book was far better.

Shutter Island - 6.5/10

This might just do nobody any good.
Ooh, Cormac McCarthy thread! It’s been ages since I saw The Sunset Limited but I remember being engrossed by it. Jackson has a great scene describing his character’s days in prison. It’s a downer, though, as Grampy Cormac wont to do.

Regarding The Road; I’ve also heard the book is better. I do like the film, though. It’s a cherished “no one else liked this on family movie night” memory.

Oh, man, Shutter Island getting a lukewarm reaction. That’s deserving of a lot re-evaluation, IMO. Marty’s love-letter to Sam Fuller!

Phenomena (1985)

+

I normally like surprises, but this was my 4th watch from director Dario Argento and I thought there was no way it could be the worst. I still want to see his Opera and Bird with the Crystal Plumage, but I am resigned to the fact that his best accomplishments are producing Demons and spawning a hot daughter. The dialogue and acting in this movie are atrocious, with the best performance coming from a monkey. These are forgivable sins in a horror movie if it has more to offer. It does have style, but not particularly good style. The ending is good compared to the rest, but that's not saying much. There's a lot of 13 year old Jennifer Connelly just walking around. At least make the star of your Giallo older so we can get some unnecessary lesbo action. Then I could have given the movie an extra half box of stinkin popcorn.

I watched Titanic yesterday. Leo was looking really cute. LOL :P
I mean look at his style in Titanic and compare it with movies like Wolf Of Wall Street.
I rate it 10/10. It's a must watch movie.

Ready Player One.

It was good. It was changed from the book as it needed to be in order to make it visually watchable. It was good and fun and visually appealing. I do recommend it.

Escape from New York

As a young whippersnapper who has only been "really into" movies for about 4 years now, a problem I run into with critically acclaimed/cult classic/highly recommended movies from 30+ years ago is that they simply just don't hold up in my eyes after all these years. I truly do try to have an open mind about these films, but something about them is off or feels cheap or just doesn't work for me. My newest shining example of this to myself is Escape from New York.
I will say I enjoyed a few of the performances, like Kurt Russell as Plissken, and I think that this movie would have been lesser without him. I loved the concept of this movie, the world of it seemed interesting and brought me in a bit, definitely was curious to see more of it. But at the end of the day I had some problems. The actual nitty gritty of the fights and action were not really done well, in some cases sub-b movie level, which was disheartening. I guess I get budget restraints and all, but boy I am not a lover of b movies so there is no "charm" or "classic feel" to that kind of stuff to me.The plot that was focused on directly was less interesting to me than other curiosities about the world I'd have rather seen. Characters beyond the one's in the taxi at the end and the Police Commissioner definitely had lesser performances.
Overall, it was still an enjoyable enough movie, I just kinda wish there was more to it as a whole. I'd rather this have been a 20+ million dollar movie than a 6 million, as I think a larger budget in this case could have definitely elevated the film.

Queue the pitchfork line below

After a technically masterful and felicitous trilogy on integrity in American institutions, Spielbergo needed to get some box office clout back. The result: a sort of live-action version of The LEGO Movie that’s nowhere near as effective or memorable.

Next up: Indiana Jones 5.

That's disappointing for the first review I read, damn.

The BFG was about integrity in American institutions?