Daniel's 150 favourite films so far

→ in
Tools    

Have you seen Sexy Beast?I find it quite similar to Killing Them Softly.

I loved most of Life of Pi, but the framing device of the story (Pi telling his story to the writer) felt out of place and detracted somewhat from the experience for me. But that hour on the boat was visually monumental and told with a huge blast of emotion and subtext. Did you find Richard Parker to be a metaphor for God, as I did? And which story did you believe?

It gets
+ from me. This and Silver Linings Playbook are my half-realistic hope for best picture since Django Unchained hasn't got a chance in hell.

I loved most of Life of Pi, but the framing device of the story (Pi telling his story to the writer) felt out of place and detracted somewhat from the experience for me. But that hour on the boat was visually monumental and told with a huge blast of emotion and subtext. Did you find Richard Parker to be a metaphor for God, as I did? And which story did you believe?

It gets
+ from me. This and Silver Linings Playbook are my half-realistic hope for best picture since Django Unchained hasn't got a chance in hell.
I didn't mind the telling of the story. But yes in a way I did find Richard Parker to be a metaphor for god, or at least represent some type of religious meaning.

Richard Parker is the centre of Pi's animal story, he's a character who although you might not believe in represents something to keep Pi alive, to carry him through these tough times, something to believe in, a challenge etc. so I do believe that he did act like a God-like metaphor to some sense.

With which story I believe I am really not sure, but the beauty of the film is that I don't believe I have to have one to believe. Pi at the beginning chooses to follow a handful of religions and his father wants him to make a choice? But why does that choice need to be made? I think the second story is the more realistic but like Pi said he wanted the listener to believe in God and through these animals acting to him as symbols through tough times, he is able to show how religion and faith is important. I need to do a full review and write this down better, I feel like I'm rambling and perhaps missing the point a bit

And I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook yet, although hopefully will tomorrow, whilst Django Unchained is my favourite nominated I agree with you, although in Roger Ebert's latest blog he actually thinks it will get more votes than people imagine due to the age of the voters, I'm not too sure though. I feel if there is going to be a Best Picture/Director split then Lee might get this should the other award go to Argo as a way of acknowledging what he has achieved technically as a director here, although I unfortunately reckon it might be a Lincoln/Spielberg win.

Richard Parker is the centre of Pi's animal story, he's a character who although you might not believe in represents something to keep Pi alive, to carry him through these tough times, something to believe in, a challenge etc. so I do believe that he did act like a God-like metaphor to some sense.

With which story I believe I am really not sure, but the beauty of the film is that I don't believe I have to have one to believe. Pi at the beginning chooses to follow a handful of religions and his father wants him to make a choice? But why does that choice need to be made? I think the second story is the more realistic but like Pi said he wanted the listener to believe in God and through these animals acting to him as symbols through tough times, he is able to show how religion and faith is important.
In a way it's almost simultaneously pro- and anti-religion, but definitely pro-faith. As you say, Pi follows multiple religions and this certainly rejects the popular notion of belief in only one God, despite there being multiple across multiple religions. But at the same time, it's touting the idea that a faith in something, be it based on religion or something completely different, is an essential thing especially when it comes to getting through difficult situations. It's a really beautifully balanced view, actually.

110 - Battle Royale (Kinji Fukasaku, 2000)

I have not seen this in a while, otherwise it may have been a top 100 film. One of the most powerful films that I can remember seeing, very ambitious considering its controversial and ultra violent setting and it is pulled off to great effect.

109 - The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)

I know not everyone here is a Christopher Nolan fan, but as a whole I thought his Batman series was very strong and definitely one of the most enjoyable modern superhero series made, The Dark Knight is the strongest film in the trilogy for me.

108 - 3:10 to Yuma (James Mangold, 2007)

I am not sure if fans of the original will like the inclusion of this film. Although both are based on the same story, the two are completely different tellings of it. The original for me played out enjoyably but was nothing great, it had a very classic/happy ending as well which I did not enjoy, it felt like a cliché and straightforward old Western film. This version though is completely different, Bale and Crowe are great in their roles and make me interested in their characters, the film is much more exciting and suspenseful for me as we await the much more powerful ending.

107 - Inception (Christopher Nolan, 2010)

Another Nolan film that may be met with mixed opinions on here, Inception was an extremely ambitious, stylish and most importantly enjoyable film for me. I enjoy modern thrillers that are well made like this one, a lot of eye candy here perhaps, but for what it was it worked for me.

106 - Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese, 2010)

Not Scorsese's best (those are yet to come ), but a very enjoyable dark and thrilling film that like Inception worked extremely well for me, I enjoyed the plot and the twist worked well for me.

105 - Moneyball (Bennett Miller, 2011)

One of my favourite extremely recent films, Moneyball goes beyond what you would expect for a film based around sports statistics and gives us a film that not only handles it central plot extremely well but also combines it with fantastic performances. Brad Pitt is superb in the main role, then there's the fantastic Jonah Hill who works extremely well in a dramatic and not comedic role, then of course there's Philip Seymour Hoffman who I don't think I need to describe in terms of acting ability.

104 - Hot Fuzz (Edgar Wright, 2007)
103 - Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)

These two films are great fun and films that I have seen a number of times and have held up their level of comedy greatness. Both films managed to mix comedy and violence superbly, with loveable protagonists in both films, I (like The Rodent, I know) am looking forward to the third instalment of the trilogy.

102 - Chicken Run (Peter Lord, Nick Park, 2000)

I loved Aardman and this for me is their best film, I kind of feel bad now for not including it in the top 100. A delightful film that I loved as a kid and still love now, I am a huge fan of animations and have a soft spot for stop-motion ones in particular, the story combines a dark plot that involves killing chickens with great British humour through the human characters in the film.

101 - Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson, 2009)

My favourite Wes Anderson film, one of the most bizarre yet greatest adaptations of a book that I have seen. Quirky is a word often associated with Anderson's films and can certainly be applied here, the film is unique yet thoroughly enjoyable as an adventure film where we follow these animals.

From this list,I like Battle Royale and maybe it's just me but I didn't find it as violent as many people say.For example,for me Kill Bill is more disturbing,mainly because it just visually shows some unpleasant scenes like eye gouging,hand cutting,scene with Gogo,Crazy 88's etc.Battle Royale has this violent or harsh idea and lots of deaths but it doesn't show that so explicitly.Anyway,good film.

I love Dark Knight,it's actually the only film (along with Dark Knight Rises) from Nolan which I like.

Shutter Island is enjoyable,not very memorable for me but it's a good choice for the evening.

I wonder when I will watch 3:10 to Yuma or ,for example,Hotel Rwanda,Letters from Iwo Jima (films which everyone,except me,has seen ). Tbh,I have no desire to watch them.

I really like that set

- Battle Royale, Shutter Island, Moneyball, Inception

I'd give The Dark Knight a
, but haven't seen since initial DVD release.

The rest I have not seen

Top 100 begins...

100 - The Hangover (Todd Phillips, 2009)

The Hangover wont be for everyone, and is probably quite lucky to make it into my top 100, but does so because I really did enjoy it and find it very funny when I first saw it. The second film is awful, and I am not looking forward to the first. But this modern comedy was great enjoyable fun for me.

99 -
Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich, 2010)

Okay, maybe this film isn't as strong as the original two and works on what it has built from the first two to create a sad ending, but growing up and loving the original two Toy Story films, I couldn't help but enjoy this fitting end to the trilogy.

98 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michael Gondry, 2004)

A delightful film, with a touching human story at the heart of it, the acting in this film is great and the screenplay is incredibly creative and works extremely well, I know it has a lot of fans on here who may place it higher actually.

97 - Dial M for Murder (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)

I love Alfred Hitchcock, most of you will know this already, but Dial M for me didn't feel as much like a Hitchcock film like some of his other titles. Instead, this film is interesting for me as its adapted from a play and Hitchcock does a great job in one of his most unique films that had be gripped from start to finish in a more usual topic - murder.

96 - Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)

From my review thread - Memento is an enthralling and absorbing tale, a mysterious world filled with a mixture of mysterious characters, a puzzle displayed to us by Nolan, made in such a way that you’ll be both fascinated and confused by what you’ve just seen come the film’s end. Whilst some may find it uninteresting and confusing but the film is meant to be confusing and you must focus and take in every detail of the puzzle, you have to sit back and appreciate Nolan’s work, he’s been creative in his idea for the film, it’s unique, fresh and above all engaging. A must watch for any mystery fans.

95 - Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)

One of the most enjoyable, stylish films that I can remember in recent times. Drive oozes coolnesswith it's great mysterious atmosphere (with a dark, neon lit feel) and 80s soundtrack. This 'coolness' and style is personified in Gosling's mysterious character, a quiet and mysterious man who becomes mixed up in a violent criminal world.

94 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, 1969)

I have seen this since I finally decided on my top 150, and it may have appeared higher actually as I enjoyed it even more on another viewing. This film is not like your traditional Western but instead works great as a buddy film, fully utilising the great chemistry between Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

93 - Toy Story (John Lasseter, 1995)

The original film of the Toy Story series and one of my favourite films growing up, a delightful and heartfelt film from Disney, original and enjoyable fun that can be enjoyed by kids and adults, I'm a massive fan of animations and Disney Pixar and although not their strongest film, Toy Story will always be one I will remember as a favourite.

92 - The Departed (Martin Scorsese, 2006)

Martin Scorsese's modern crime film is a class below the brilliant Goodfellas, but that is not to mean that it is not great. A remake of Internal Affairs (which I have not seen), the plot is extremely interesting and enthralling, and makes for a great thriller as we look at characters on either side of the criminal divide, all the performances here are great such as DiCaprio, Damon, Wahlberg and Sheen, but my favourite is definitely Jack Nicholson, he is over the top in his role but his eccentric character is great to watch in one of the most fun, enjoyable films in recent times.

91 - Mean Streets (Martin Scorsese, 1973)

Another Martin Scorsese crime film, this one however was made thirteen years previous to Goodfellas. Mean Streets is one of Scorsese's earlier works, but his talents as a director are clear, the film has everything you could want from a crime film, with great characters and important themes (including religion, an important Scorsese theme). Watch the film if only for the fantastic performance of Robert De Niro, a man who would later become known as one of the greatest actors of all time for work in Scorsese's films such as Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, and Raging Bull.

I haven't seen Mean Streets in a while but I remember disliking it.I also didn't like Memento,Eternal Sunshine.I have seen The Departed only once not in the original language and I didn't like it,seemed too twisted but I'm sure I'd like it if I re-watch it.

Drive,The Hangover,Toy Story are enjoyable for me.

Love Mean Streets, The Departed, Dial M, Butch Cassidy, Memento, and The Hangover. I need to see Drive again and I though Eternal Sunshine was goofy but not bad.

90 - Looper (Rian Johnson, 2012)

Another really recent film here, but I thought Looper was a very good and one of the most creative and enjoyable films that I had seen in a while. Better than the Matrix for me, it's clever in it's approach to its sci-fi setting but also has a good human story with strong performances from Willis and Gordon-Levitt, one of my favourites from last year, perhaps I am putting it a bit too high but I really did enjoy this one.

89 - True Grit (Coen Brothers, 2010)

I am a massive fan of the Coen Brothers and I love Westerns, so with a combination of the two it is no surprise to see this film appear in my top 100. Superior to the original, True Grit is a masterpiece in terms of filmmaking and feels almost perfect in terms of craft, beautiful landscapes and sets give a real authentic and gritty feeling, then there's superb performances, in particular from Bridges and Steinfeld, and the screenplay is great too as you would expect.

88 - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Mike Nichols, 1966)

In terms of acting performances, this might be one of the strongest films on this list, with two absolutely perfect performances from Burton and Taylor. With only four characters and largely set in one place, it is a film that relies heavily on the actors and its screenplay which are both brilliant, the latter providing some great memorable lines. The characters we see are so complex yet mysterious at the same time, which means that the film works well in terms of suspense as we await the ending.

87 - Scream (Wes Craven, 1996)

When my brother suggest we watch a late night horror film then I normally expect to watch something ultimately poor and forgettable such as one of the Paranormal Activity films. Scream though was totally different, and deservedly makes it way into my top 100 as one of my favourite modern horror and slasher films. It works extremely well as a horror and a comedy, and this film is the strongest of the series for me, although all the others are enjoyable too.

86 - Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glourious Nation of Kazakhstan (Larry Charles, 2006)

One of the funniest films that I can remember on a first viewing basis, Borat is truly a hilarious film. Whilst not everyone will love Sacha Baron Cohen's controversial humour. Whilst it's not as intelligent as a couple of comedies that will appear higher up the list, in terms of entertainment this is truly one of the best for me.

85 - Toy Story 2 (John Lasseter, Ash Brannon, Lee Unkrich, 1999)

The second film in the Toy Story series is the strongest for me, and that is largely down to its story for me with the introduction of characters such as Chicken Al, Jessie and Stinky Pete. I could watch this film again and again, one of my very favourite animations.

84 - Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)

Looking over this list again I kind of feel bad for Spielberg, clearly a talented director whose films such as this one, Schindler's List and ET I have placed relatively low in my top 150 (there's still a couple more to come, though). This film could definitely climb higher up my list in the future, the only problem is that I haven't seen it since I was a kid, where I repeatedly watched the series over and over again, this film kind of represents the whole original trio for me.

83 - The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)

82 - Se7en (David Fincher, 1995)

Even though The Social Network and Se7en were directed by the same person, it might seem odd writing an entry for both of them. But I don't think so actually, both films for me are masterpieces in terms of atmosphere. With The Social Network, Fincher works with quite a basic plot and terms it in to a truly enjoyable and incredibly well made piece of entertainment. Se7en is much darker, of course, and in terms of dark atmosphere is truly one of the best films made. The performances in this film are superb, I remember watching both this and The Usual Suspects within the same of a few days and I really started to admire Kevin Spacey as an actor.

81 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (Guy Ritchie, 1998)

We have already seen Snatch on this last, outside the top 100, but this film for me is superior. Perhaps it is because I saw it first, and Snatch didn't feel as fresh and original after doing so. I am a big fan of crime films, and also have a bit of a soft spot for British films (despite not seeing many at all), this film set in London and has a script that many Americans won't understand with its use of cockney language, a great mix of comedy and violence make this a very enjoyable film.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I also liked Looper, but on the contrary disliked True Grit. Loved Se7en mostly for its dark, gloomy mood.

I didn't think much of Looper, it lays everything out for you. True Grit on the other hand is the best film from this decade so far. Scream and Borat are both fun films. The Social Network was decent, Se7en was epic.

Great stuff

Well, there's only three that I like in that set, however, as two of them are also on my 100, I'll + rep the set.

Looper,Lock,Stock,Se7en,Social Network,Raiders Of The Lost Ark are all great.