theater-bad movie = good DVD?

Tools    

Is it me or do movies get better on DVD than in theaters? When I saw Sleepy Hollow in theaters I hated it, but I had to watch it for work and now I love it. Same thing with the recent releases of Hollow Man and Autumn In New York. Does this happen with anyone else? I can't figure out what the different is between theaters and home. Maybe I'm not in the right mood for them in theaters or maybe the audience draws away my attention just enough to not get completely engrossed in the film. I don't think it's the audience though. The first time I saw Gladiator I was so swept up with it that I forgot where I was...same with Cast Away and Patriot. I don't get it, but it seems to happen to me a lot, which is why I get every DVD that comes out because even if I hated it, I'll probably like it...lol. The only film I will NEVER try this with is Waterworld...you'd need to pay me to see that again.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by Laurie L
The only film I will NEVER try this with is Waterworld...you'd need to pay me to see that again.
Don't you get paid to watch DVD's already?

Is Hollow Man out commercially yet? But anyways. I liked Final Destination more on DVD and same with Mortal Kombat and Pitch Black.

Hollow Man came out on Tuesday. It's got some sweet special features and 3 deleted scenes that should have stayed in the film.

LOL...Waterworld is a funny story. I was supposed to watch this film again for work, but I flat out refused and told one of the people who work on my team to watch it and work up a report on the special features. I also told him to pay attention to all the mistakes in the film and note them because I knew we'd get calls about people being able to see cameras, crew, and other mistakes in the film and immediately think it was just a DVD problem. So I still haven't seen it again...lol. I might do it for triple time and an extra week of paid vacation.

LOL...have fun. It is a lot better on disc which is a pleasant surprise.

LOL...Sean Connery in Hunt For Red October. I guess it could be Alec Baldwin too since he mimics the same line a few scenes later.

Yeah, there is a quality difference between dvd-theater. Because at a theater they obviously use projectors, and when u have to enlarge that picture so much to fit on some of those huge screens it's gonna get a little fuzzy, and colors that should be clean and bright are a little darker and fuzzy.

Then on ur dvd the quality is good, and if u have a nice 60 inch hdtv (like what i want!) then the quality is really good and colors are all normal.

What type of tv do u have? I have a 27 inch hitachi (pooh, HDTV"s are just too expensive, grrrrrr)

Didn't see it.
I'm not sure there are any movies that I liked better on DVD than in the theater. There are some that I like better each time I watch them, but that doesn't have anything to do with DVD. I think I just notice more of the details the second and third times.

I've got a Sony 35 inch TV, Sony 650 5 disc DVD player, and Sony theater DTS 8.1 surround. I'm looking into upgrading the TV, but Sony won't release the Plasma screen I want until late 2001. When I get that TV, I'm also going to get flat-panel speakers for the front and rear sound. I'm also looking at a 'virtual sound' package that includes 4 phantom rear speakers. Sony is just taking their sweet time with everything I want...lol. But I'm not complaining. Everything just seems better at home for me these days.

The Hollow Man deleted scenes are basically scene extensions...we get to see more of two of the lab scenes and we get to see exactly what Bacon did to his neighbor.

My streak is over. Battlefield Earth is just as bad on DVD as it was in theaters. lol.

I came <this close> to getting Waterworld on DVD Friday because I figured it might be better on disc. Then my sanity returned and I backed away from the shelf.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Most of the movies I watch I haven't caught in the theaters so I can't really tell you an honest opinion on this topic.

I honestly think that any movie watched at home can be better just due to the fact that the audience is gone. The sound is whatever you want, and if you gotta go...you can stop it. Some movies are a different story(Battlefield Earth, as you so misfourtnatly found out Laurie) can be bad no matter what.

I think that the fact that you're getting a much better picture, sound, etc., you will enjoy it more viewing it at your leisure. Plus, special features, scenes not seen in theaters, everything you could ever want all crammed on to 2 or 3 discs.

Anyways, the answer to this subject would have to be that a bad movie in a theather MIGHT be better on disc, but it just depends on a lot of little things involved with the movie itself.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg