Best Comic Book Movie?

Tools    

I watch them on a station we have in Canada called Teletoon, they showed all of them.

I also watch them on a dejaview channel and thats where I can also see Iron Man

"Walk down the right back ally in Sin City, and you'll find anything" Marv

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Some fans you two are.

The Hulk?

I like Hulk quite a bit too.
I put the "The" in there deliberately. Somehow I can just never take myself seriously saying (or writing) just "Hulk". It just doesn't sound specific enough, like there's only one Spiderman, but with just Hulk, you could mean this hulk, that hulk, the hulking behomoth sitting in front of you in the theater, or The Incredible Hulk.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
I put the "The" in there deliberately. Somehow I can just never take myself seriously saying (or writing) just "Hulk". It just doesn't sound specific enough, like there's only one Spiderman, but with just Hulk, you could mean this hulk, that hulk, the hulking behomoth sitting in front of you in the theater, or The Incredible Hulk.
Yeah right.

Just face it, lines...you messed up.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Yeah right.

Just face it, lines...you messed up.
It's not Hulk or The Hulk

It's either The Incredible Hulk or Incredible Hulk

Why do all of you new members only post titles and names?

How are we supposed to get to know any of you if you guys never elaborate on anything?!

Just a title and/or a name. Whee.

I feel like ignoring you now.

TALK TO US NEW MEMBERS!!!
Does it really matter if new members only post a short reply?

Sorry but i didn't see the rule about a mimimum number of words per post on the signup page.

People will choose themselves if an elaborate answer is required.

And as for you feeling like ignoring me, that is the face of no concern.

Originally Posted by areulocal
Does it really matter if new members only post a short reply?
Only if they want more than to see themselves post.

Are you offended because I want new members to interact instead of make lists that offer no interaction?

Look, this is your 6th post. The other five posts you made have been ignored. You know why? Because they were little lists. You didn't say, "Hey, so-n-so, I agree/disagree with you..." You didn't say, "Does anybody else like/dislike..." You just made 5 boring little lists.

But this post, you tried putting me in my place, causing me to want to interact with you. Isn't this better? Now you have an opportunity to speak back yet again. You started the ball a rollin'. Good job!

You may have a cookie.

geez, i guess that goes for me too

i loved the look of sin city..it was done well in every dept and i loved marv despite all the violence which i just can't seem to get out of my head...that's the only thing that ruined the film for me...

road to perdition is a great little film as well...tom hanks did a great job with his role as did jude law and paul newman (who should have gotten something for his role) ...beautifully filmed and good plot line...

now when the heck will they make a maus film????

other hero comic book types...i loved the first two superman films and the first two batman films with michael keaton

i also loved the best of them which is batman begins...i can't wait to see no 2 ....

Recent attempts at bringing traditionally 2D-rendered characters onto the big screen had been applaudable indeed. From Batman Begins to Sin City, comic book movies are starting to bring to life the characters, the whole mythology in a way that does justice to their predecessors (i.e. the film noir feel to Frank Miller's Sin City; the in-depth exploration into the protagonist's character in Batman Begins). But what if the comic the movie is based on utterly, for the lack of a better term, SUCKS? How then should we judge it?

I have never liked the Hulk comics. Never. In the comic book world of fancy powers, debonair wit and unfalliable utility belts; mysterious origins, haunting pasts and the proverbial closets chock full 'o skeletons - Dr. Bruce Banner falls short in my opinion:

"Ohs Noes! I've been zapped by a Gamma Ray!"
*Cues transformation into muscular green dude*
"RAWRRR! HULK SMASH!"
*Cues transformation back into wussy white dude*
"Why does everyone hate the Hulk for DESTROYING ACRES OF PUBLIC PROPERTY? Oh wait - You're pissing me off!"
*Cues transformation into muscular green dude*
*RAWRRR! HULK SMASH!"

Go figure.

However, a green-giant-loving-friend of mine swears that Hulk is a "good" comic book movie. Who am I to judge his tastes? I still think that the spectacle of a half-dressed, green steroid nightmare jumping around smashing things is ludicrous though.

What about the really good comic book characters whose transition to movies fall short? Specifically, I am talking about Mister "I-Am-Not-The-Bad-Guy" Daredevil who spends much of the movie brutalizing people (with a memorable scene where a thug is allowed to be chopped in half by a train). No proper character development, or scene transitions at all. How the heck did a poor, blind orphan come into the possession of a secret lair of fancy gadgets? Don't get me started on the love-interest bit. Above all, I am still wondering why "YOU KILLED MY FATHER" Electra miraculously became "OHS NOES! I AM SORRY!" Electra the moment she unmasked Daredevil - as if the sudden revelation in identity would instantaneously translate into Daredevil =/= Father Slayer.

Lots of people still like the Daredevil movie though.

How then do we judge what makes the "Best Comic Book Movie"? By its action sequences? (Methinks millions are still wanking over the CGIs in Spidey 2 even as I type) By its faithful renditions of the comic characters/theme/settings in movies? People who do not like steampunk will not enjoy The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. People who do not like film noir and gangster literature will not enjoy Sin City. Heck - some people are still bitching over minor things, like Keanu Reeves's Constantine not being a trenchcoated pom (i.e. Brit) in a gloomy gothic London (while it seems to me that a Yank in a gloomy gothic LA should suffice).

The bottomline?

Bad comics do not equate bad movies.
Good comics do not equate good movies.

And vice versa of course.

Huh? We're talking about the movie, Sabs.

Hulk.
The movie was known as Hulk, I agree.

Originally Posted by susan
geez, i guess that goes for me too...
*sigh*

No, that doesn't go for you too, Suzi-Q.

I wasn't mad at the new people, I was just trying to light a fire and get them to actually 'join in'. That's all.

I'll be quiet and keep ignoring if that's better.

Originally Posted by Sabbath666
The movie was known as Hulk, I agree.
Good. You can have a cookie too.

My personal favourite would have to be Tim Burton's Batman film. Though Ghost World, American Splendor, Sin City, and Batman Begins are also very good.

Can we try with real bullets now?
Batman Begins takes the cake for me. Christian Bale played a stellar Batman and the supporting cast was great, especially Liam Neeson and Michael Caine. Gotham City never looked better, I was so happy that they threw all those damn neon lights from the other movies into the crapper. And I love the new Batmobile, at first I thought it looked like a World War I tank, but I am now a believer! I can't wait for the next one!

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I'm torn between Batman Begins and Dick Tracy

(In no specific order, my favorites)
Sin City
Starship Troopers
Spawn
AVP (Concept, not really the movie)
Batman Begins
Starship Troopers

"There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence." Alex (A Clockwork Orange)

Level 2 : Farmer
Batman Begins

x-men was a good one.

love v for vendetta...great adaptation of the comic. batman was also great though. anyone get the v dvd set? i've watched it twice since i bought it last week. its really good.

I'd have to say A History of Violence. This film was very much real. One of Cronenberg's best efforts. This film, I felt, was very powerful. The ending was very subtle, which I loved. But, to expound a bit more, I felt that Batman Begins was a very good film. Christopher Nolan portrayed Batman as much darker, not to mention more honest, than any of the previous ways Batman has been portrayed. He developed the first half-way intelligent Batman film.