Oppenheimer

Tools    

Saw it yesterday. Didn’t love it (knew I wouldn’t), but I did finish it.

Poor Florence Pugh. All she got to do was bare her bosoms. On more than one occasion. What a waste of a good actress.

Everyone raving about Emily Blunt, which I don’t quite understand. Maybe I dozed off & missed something.

It’s done, I came, I saw & I moved on to The Piano Player which I’m enjoying.

Poor Florence Pugh. All she got to do was bare her bosoms. On more than one occasion. What a waste of a good actress.

Everyone raving about Emily Blunt, which I don’t quite understand. Maybe I dozed off & missed something.

I feel the whole movie does a disservice to all the female characters (including Olivia Thirlby), but Blunt definitely made a big impression with the little screen time she had. It was great to see someone who had more of a spine than Oppenheimer did when facing those awful bureaucrats!

What was it that meant you knew you wouldn’t love it?

I also felt Emily Blunt was nothing much in this one. With the kinds of naked dresses Florence Pugh wears (especially that fuchsia one), it’s obvious she doesn’t mind nudity.

Edit: also, is ‘The Piano Player’ the one with Dennis Hopper?

I feel the whole movie does a disservice to all the female characters (including Olivia Thirlby), but Blunt definitely made a big impression with the little screen time she had. It was great to see someone who had more of a spine than Oppenheimer did when facing those awful bureaucrats!
What rôle did Thirlby have? Heard of her, but can’t remember who she is.

What rôle did Thirlby have? Heard of her, but can’t remember who she is.
She played Lilli Hornig.

Opens today in Japan!

(Let's hope it doesn't bomb)

@Stirchley, how did you know you weren’t going to love Oppenheimer?
Not interested in the storyline & not a huge fan of Cillian.

It would've been better if Clint Eastwood directed it and say 15 years ago.
Interesting comment. I'd love to learn more about what you mean here. Why do you think the movie would have been better if Clint Eastwood directed it?

Interesting comment. I'd love to learn more about what you mean here. Why do you think the movie would have been better if Clint Eastwood directed it?
I meant that Eastwood as a director has a straight forward, honest and effect style of story telling. I would've preferred that over Nolan's non linear, overly visual conglomeration of camera shots. I admire Eastwood as a director, Nolan not so much.

Clint Eastwood would have insisted on making two parallel movies: one told from Oppenheimer's point of view, and another told from the POV of the Hiroshima townspeople.

Oppenheimer was a slog to me, a disappointment in almost every sense. Cilian Murphy was haunted and excellent, but couldn’t save it. Plus - and I hear this complaint often, but it never resonated until now - the sound was horrible, drowning out almost all the dialogue, made worse by a plague of a soundtrack that seemed only to distract from the film.

Plus - and I hear this complaint often, but it never resonated until now - the sound was horrible, drowning out almost all the dialogue, made worse by a plague of a soundtrack that seemed only to distract from the film.
This has long been something that Nolan does deliberately in his movies. He's been interviewed about it and just doubled down like he just couldn't care less.

Yes, the sound was pretty bad and made it hard at times to understand what the actors were saying.

To add insult to injury, I was told that 70mm prints of the movie couldn't accommodate any kind of closed captioning.