Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Dallas Buyers Club

Came into the movie wanting to pick it apart, and found myself getting picked apart by it. Intensely moving performances all around, and DBC even manages to adapt it's style around the story.

Would totally watch it again in a heartbeat.
I saw that flying back home and movies on planes just dont work for me so I usually just stick to comedies or rewatches. I thought this was brilliant.

Most interesting man in the world
The Wasp Woman 1959 7 / 10

"A cosmetics queen develops a youth formula from jelly taken from queen wasps, failing to anticipate the typical hoary side effects."

*there is also a 1995 tv remake (haven't seen it yet)

+ maybe a weak

For a movie that'd be a great vehicle for some OTT Nic Cage, he didn't actually go all out. Selma Blair was hot. For any fans of The Children out there looking for its inverse, well...this isn't quite it, but a fun romp anyway.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

My wife and I saw this tonight and it was a lot of fun. Hollywood used to make movies like this one, fun movies. I don't know why they stopped, but this is a wonderful throwback to actual good entertainment. No wonder it has been the Number One movie for the last three weeks (weeks 3-5 of its release!!!) and is now the number one non-Spider Man movie ever domestically for Sony.

Went to the cinema to see Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. A bunch of high schoolers come across an old video game that, when activated, drag them headlong into the game in the guise of the "avatars" of the characters they chose to play... and may never let them get back again. This follow-up to the original film from the mid 90s with Robin Williams is a very loose sequel - aside from one moment referencing Williams' character it could just be as easily be a reboot - but is a pretty decent flick nonetheless. An entertaining tongue in cheek fantasy adventure, it doesn't reinvent the wheel but it passes its runtime amiably enough, and the cast - especially Jack Black as a flighty teenage girl stuck in the body of a middle aged man, and the lovely Karen Gillan as the awkward girl turned badass - are game enough to make it fun.

The Devil's Candy (2015) (Dir. Sean Byrne)

A f----ing devastating meditation on evil, its strictly human expression through violent acts and art, the absurdity of those acts, and the catharsis of that art. It explores the Faustian temptation drawing us into the darkest passages of the human heart where wild fascination and inescapable trauma blur. Sean Byrne can truly convey raw, visceral horror because he can honestly convey pure tenderness and affection with the same hand. Interpreting this as pitch black comedy, as some have, misinterprets the blank absurdity of extreme violence accurately depicted here. The Devil's Candy is a sweltering baptism by fire.

Children of a Lesser God (1986)

I was always interested in seeing this and finally watched it for the female director's countdown. I thought the female character was blind and was disappointed to find out she was deaf instead. It's a believable and nice love story with two fine performances from William Hurt and Marlee Matlin. I didn't think it was anything special.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I've had a sneaking suspicion PB was awesome.

Your suspicions are correct DD. Have you seen any of it?
Not yet. I'm scurred I might end up losing a weekend.

The Grey (Joe Carnahan, 2011)

I'm fairly neutral about it

Unregistered User

Lars and The Real Girl (2007)

Really enjoyed this. I was pleased that this wasn't the comedy I was kind of expecting. Its very funny in parts but don't be fooled, I found it genuinely sad and touching. Gosling again shows off his acting chops as a socially awkward loner, which was also pleasing to see, as there are a lot of more comedic actors out there who might have been chosen for the part. He plays it perfectly.

+

Lars and The Real Girl (2007)

Really enjoyed this. I was pleased that this wasn't the comedy I was kind of expecting. Its very funny in parts but don't be fooled, I found it genuinely sad and touching. Gosling again shows off his acting chops as a socially awkward loner, which was also pleasing to see, as there are a lot of more comedic actors out there who might have been chosen for the part. He plays it perfectly.

+
I wonder if anyone else LOLd at the scene in Blade Runner 2049 where Mariette tells Officer K "you don't like real girls"? I thought it was intentional.